It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas' Largest Hospital Reaches 100 Percent ICU Capacity

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
a reply to: Southern Guardian
The Lt. Governor said they have 7200 ICU beds available and only 1400 are being used. He also ripped Cuomo a new one for being such a lying POS for N.Y. youtu.be...

Andrew Cuomo is an @ss - a complete embarrassment.

The guy stood on national TV and demanded the entire country send all[ their ventilators to our state when it was still unknown what would happen in other states. And people here cheered him on like selfish jerks. He squander resources building field hospitals and calling in medical ships that went largely unused; dispite his polices exasperating the issue and killing more people than should have. And now he is banning and lecturing people from other states that still have smaller covid problems then our state does and is still full speed ahead opening NY. He is the definition of a political opportunist.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

And stuff like this too
$21M Field Hospital Closes Without Seeing Single Patient: Report

BROOKLYN, NEW YORK — A ballyhooed temporary field hospital on Brooklyn's waterfront announced as the new coronavirus outbreak escalated closed without taking in a single patient, according to a recent report.

The cost for the unused facility? A cool $21 million, awarded in a no-bid contract to a Texas-based contractor, THE CITY reported.

It's one of several high-profile temporary facilities that sprung up with varying degrees of use. The USNS Comfort hospital ship departed New York harbor after treating a relative handful of patients, despite reported pleas for help from a Cobble Hill least one nursing home under siege by the virus.

edit on 6262020 by MetalThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

Sure can't.

Which is why I think this virus is going to be around forever.

It's never going away.
It may become the leading cause of death for the old and weak.

Imagine a future where most humans are under the age of 60 and their all fit an healthy.
Because the ones that are older are that are unhealthy die from covid.

I'm not saying I think that this is for sure going to happen. It's just a possible scenario I thought up.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Right.

If the hospitals are filling up then the first thing they should do is prioritize the people they know they can save.
No matter what illness that person has. Whether it be covid or cancer. Don't go by what disease they have go by who's life can be saved.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Houston is a Democrat ran/voting turd punch bowl. Like New York, and Portland. Go figure!

And I’m not sure about this hospital, but the biggest one in our area is public funded so most don’t pay.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Texas - isn't that where most all them migrant caravans were flowing like water last administration ? - then even better organized when POTUS took over ?? Central America is not known for health to begin with and keep in mind migrant workers are working farms right now - here in michigan ,Lapeer County - migrant workers caused a spike jussie sayin

LANSING (WJRT) (6/23/2020) - The Lapeer County Health Department is monitoring a coronavirus outbreak involving some of the county's migrant worker population.

.The county reported 33 positive tests for the illness from Friday through Tuesday primarily involving three migrant worker sites, along with a few local residents.

Maybe has to do with Sanctuary Cities ?

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Looks like the texas governor is changing his mind.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
I'm not sure how common it is for ICUs to be filled to full capacity? The last time I heard about ICUs being full was during the 9/11 attacks. This is a first since then for me.

And yet I still don't know any one whose had it, and only two people who say they know someone who died from it, but when pressed, they were already extremely sick.

More BS?

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   

New York still increasing in cases. And given New York instituted the strictest lockdown in the country, it's a given their cases would slow down dramatically, as a result. I highly doubt Texas will follow suit.

That should tell you something... like...

Locldowns don't work.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Interesting.

An article from yesterday claims that the numbers are being inflated.

This is coming from the CEO of a Texas hospital. They are not near capacity.

Texas hospital CEO: COVID inpatient count 'misinterpreted,' level of alarm 'unwarranted'

COVID-19 hospitalizations there have been on a steady upward track for about the last two weeks, per the state's coronavirus dashboard, which on Thursday recorded about 4,400 coronavirus hospitalizations in the state. But at least part of that trend may be due to liberal coding policies by state officials. Lindsey Rosales, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of State Health Services, confirmed to Just the News this week that the state is categorizing every inpatient in the state with a positive COVID-19 test as a COVID-19 hospitalization.

At a virtual press conference on Thursday, the chief executives of Houston Methodist, Memorial Hermann Health System, St. Luke’s Health, and Texas Children’s hospitals stated that their hospitals are well-prepared to handle an even greater increase in patients than that which has emerged over the past few weeks. The number of hospitalizations are "being misinterpreted," said Houston Methodist CEO Marc Boom, "and, quite frankly, we’re concerned that there is a level of alarm in the community that is unwarranted right now." "We do have the capacity to care for many more patients, and have lots of fluidity and ability to manage," Boom said.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Here in our state they maintain numbers are up but hospitalizations are down. So is that due to more testing or simply more young, healthy people getting it because they've been allowed to go back out again and we're seeing them get it and they aren't needing serious health care for the most part?

Sure, some will, but not nearly as many as will in the older population.

I do find it interesting that the health execs of the city and neighboring county where I am at are having a very public argument over masks now.

One wants to mandate, and the other is saying no mandate, educate. So the first wants to warn people from going to the county.

Digging into the stats, things are holding pretty steady in terms of hospitalizatons and ventilations with minor up/down fluctuations in this area. We are on the high side of a fluctuation now, but it hasn't shot into previously uncharted territory. There has been a slow and steady climb in the rate of positive test results, but there has also been a sharp increase in the amount of testing taking place too. Is it a case of wider spread or a case of a wider testing net simply catches more fish?

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   
here's the problem as I see it; these states shot their load to early after seeing what was happening in New York.

I won't lie; I was worried being a resident of new york in the tristate area in March and April and their where some moments where things looked grim and you can't escape the emotions that come with that. But while New York closed down due to the credible fears over COVID-19 so did the rest of the country whether or not they where in as bad a shape as New York was.

Now those other states are experiencing the same thing New York did in April but unlike New York in April these people have already endured months of lockdowns and they are already worn out going into their out breaks. That present a whole other sets of problems. Now more than ever political leaders need to be open and honest; unfortunately the political climate hasn't been worse and open and honest is going to be in short supply.

All I can say is New York survived and life is getting back to normal; so to will this happen in these other parts of the country; don't let the fear consume you because it can easly do so and it adds no value.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Yes and no.

Again, I looked at the hospitalization and ventilation data for my state.

Remember the flatten the curve stuff? Remember how it was supposed to have an initial spike and then this long plateau that kept us below the point where we overwhelm?

That's where we've been in that data. It looks exactly like that. We have a long plateau on our hospitalization and ventilator use from COVID-19 data. If that data is holding steady despite case rate, then where is the real problem? It may be that it's partially from people living their lives again and using the hospital from other uses.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

I think if cases slow down dramatically, that's indicative that they do work. The purpose of lockdowns aren't meant to rid the virus entirely. They're intended to slow the spread so that we lessen the blow from deaths. It's also intended to buy time to vaccinations. Other countries like New Zealand were able to wipe the virus out completely.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I really am not sure what to think of this. I mean we've already endured a long enough shutdown and I've seen the consequences first hand of the type of job loss it's caused. On the other hand, we're risking the medical centers being overrun. A buddy of mine who works as a nurse in Dallas told me the other day that they were doing perfectly fine, so looks like this issue isn't quite state-wide yet.

Uncertain times ahead, keep safe ATS.

Maybe this is just more spin.....here are some real numbers and real comments from the leadership there...

As of June 23, 97% of the medical center’s 1,330 ICU bed base capacity was occupied, 70% by non-COVID-19 patients and 27% by COVID-19 patients, according to TMC data.

“The new cases are not eclipsing our capabilities, staff and supplies to meet the demand of our community,” said Dr. David Callender, president and CEO and Memorial Hermann Health System.

The main reason is because member institutions across Texas Medical Center’s nine-county coverage have surge plans in place beyond their base capacities, said Dr. Marc Boom, Houston Methodist’s president and CEO.

“In a pinch, we can bring in place ICU beds on a more limited-time basis,” Boom said.
“It is completely normal to have capacities in the 80% and 90% pre COVID-19,” he said.

This up tick accounts for less than 300 more patients due to COVID-19 out of 7 million people in those counties, doesn't sounds as dramatic does it.

Southern Guardian you can come out of your safe room now... just kidding...

edit on 26-6-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Thanks. That confirms what I pointed out in this thread late last night.

How fast we forget how media Outlets ginned-up the initial covid-19 overhyped hysteria back in March.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Thanks. That confirms what I pointed out in this thread late last night.

How fast we forget how media Outlets ginned-up the initial covid-19 overhyped hysteria back in March.

This title doesn't read as good.

In a populated area of 7 million less than 300 people have added to the ICUs of the 9 counties of Huston due to COVID-19.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

That syncs with what we're seeing. The media admits that most new cases are in the 20 to 29 year old demographic. So it would make sense for the number of cases to spike, but the number of hospitalizations to not necessarily go up a whole lot from that.

That's an age group that shouldn't really have many presenting to the ER in need to medical care. Most of them will get it and get over it, but they will get it.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

By now, We should be prepared to tree aage other units of the hospital in to ICU use as necessary. There are not that many ICU beds compared to other beds in hospitals. My father was in an ICU Room right next to one of the 1st Wu Han cases of Corona virus in the United States between those 2 people and his Room that was to of the maybe 50ICU beds in a rather large hospital.

Pardon formatting in errors trying out Voice ATS posting.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   

a reply to: tanstaafl
I think if cases slow down dramatically, that's indicative that they do work.

Cases didn't slow down dramatically in any state that imposed lockdowns.

They don't work.

The purpose of lockdowns aren't meant to rid the virus entirely. They're intended to slow the spread so that we lessen the blow from deaths.

Wrong. It is to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed - or at least that is the argument.

the hospitals have already demonstrated their woeful incompetence when it comes to dealing with things like this by refusing to engage in the wholesale use of high dose IV Vitamin C.

It's also intended to buy time to vaccinations.

How's that vaccine for the common cold working?

Other countries like New Zealand were able to wipe the virus out completely.

Yes, you can stop the spread of a virus by locking everyone into their homes...

But what happens when you open the doors?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join