It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bonus Points Will Be Awarded - NASAs Toilet Quest and $20,000

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   
NASA is offering up to $20,000 to anyone who can design a better space toilet for astronauts sent to the moon

NASA needs a new toilet for going to the moon — one that will work for all astronauts and function both in microgravity and on the lunar surface.

The agency is crowdsourcing ideas for the toilet with a "Lunar Loo" challenge. The top prize is $20,000.

Well, with so many sitting at home these days, here's an opportunity to become part of space travel history and make a little scratch. The lucky winner will no doubt soil themselves with joy after winning $20,000. Put all that hoarded toilet paper to use testing prototypes.

"Bonus points will be awarded to designs that can capture vomit without requiring the crew member to put his/her head in the toilet," NASA said.

The deadline to submit toilet designs is August 17 at 5 p.m. ET. Prizes are $20,000 for first place, $10,000 for second, and $5,000 for third.

Even a crappy third place finish would make a person a thousandaire. Make sure no astronaut ever has to put their head in the toilet and be one of histories hero's.

Those pesky, pesky bodily functions we humans have, are such a bother.

I have a feeling that from and astronauts perspective this is one of the most important items on a spacecraft.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

We've been in space for over 50 years and still don't have a toilet that works.
Let's get that Mars colony going!!!

Lol

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I agree. It is surprising they didn't have the toilet issue solved long ago. Even just camping, where to go is one of the first things to consider.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I think people underestimate the effects of being weightless.
Water really acts different

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Couldn’t Bill Gates invent a food or solution that would eliminate the need for waste.
Or at least make the waste come out in a way that would be easy to manage.

Also Cat litter seems to work good at containing wets into something more solid.

I don’t know, Seems like sending robots would be easier.
edit on 25-6-2020 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Actually, I think this is quite clever of NASA. R&D for anything space related is very expensive, so get a bunch of people to develop ideas for no pay, other than what the winners get. I'd think a company would spend millions developing a new space toilet.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

Actually it is we humans who are the problem, imperfect beings that we are. Seems to me that they should be concentrating on taking people out of space exploration and leaving it to probes and AI.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Maybe a Mycelium based system, and use a strain that also eats radiation..

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   

As astronaut Rusty Schweickart said - There is no gradeful way to go in space ……...

Its a dirty job, but someone has to do it

I'm sure the winner will be flushed with victory

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Nobody on Star Trek ever went to the toilet. Maybe we should pursue that capability?

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: solve

I'm not sure how that would work with microgravity? Maybe in the containment system, although I'd think they would just expel waste into space. Not much chance of anyone getting a brown blob on their rocket window later on.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I think you may be on to something there.

Where is Captain Kirk when we need him?

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   

You're wearing a red shirt aren't you?

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

I'm not sure how that would work with microgravity? Maybe in the containment system, although I'd think they would just expel waste into space. Not much chance of anyone getting a brown blob on their rocket window later on.

Mycelium underpants? Brownies would just turn in to fruits and then just cut them away and eat them?

They would not even need a toilet, and they are already used to wearing a MAG.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   

One solution for short duration missions of couple days is to use a low residue diet - one in which the food is completely digested and absorbed with no left over remnants

Some astronauts actually did this - eating low residue foods for several days prior to flight They took laxatives 24 hours
before flight to purge digestive system

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
How about first prize being both money and a trip to the ISS to actually use it?

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Well since there is no up or down in space, one could take a poo "upside down", with a light vacuum suction pipeline that leads to a biodegradable storage container of some sort that - when full - they eject it into deep space, only for it too burn up in some extraterrestrial planets atmosphere.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

The trip to the ISS would probably require the winner to be in excellent health.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Working with priceline.com to set up Mars travel bargains.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Working with priceline.com to set up Mars travel bargains.

Naw, he's busy cleaning his sleep apnea device these days. He's still the best that ever was though. Beam me up Scotty.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join