It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driving with cell phones

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Will this actually make the roads safer?

Yes , people don't only talk on a mobile they also text while driving which is both distracting and dangerous , as a professional driver I fully support any ban on driving while using a mobile to talk or text , if you need to use it pull over and use it or go hands free.

Using a mobile at the wheel has been banned for a few years here in the UK.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Common sense would make you think that it's safer. I don't disagree at all.

But...

Do the numbers show that to be the case?
I can't find any information showing a decline in traffic accidents.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
What if I get one of those cars with automatic pilot ?

Well you would think that it wouldn't make a difference.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
What if I get one of those cars with automatic pilot ?

You are still supposed to be paying attention. Auto pilot isn't really auto pilot. It is more like advanced cruise control. If the road isn't perfect, construction barriers, bridges, and a lot of other things can easily mess up the system. You are supposed to be ready to grab wheel and take over at any second.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
...as a professional driver...

NASCAR? Bubba, is that you?

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

That sucks. What's the point of calling it automatic pilot.

All we got now is UBER.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

NASCAR? Bubba, is that you?

No , I work for a living.
The message is simple , mock if it pleases you.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It's a joke man, lighten up.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Drivin with one foot out the window and one knee on the wheel since '05. Ohhh riiight.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 03:21 AM
link   
In all seriousness though. Tennessee passed this law a while back. It's never been enforced. I still see practically every single person driving with their phone in front of their face.

Every time I go into town I have a person come close to hitting me, because they are swerving. Even on the highways people come off the on ramp and don't even look when they are merging.

One of these days I'm going to let someone hit me so they get hit with the charge and insurance bills. Then my acting career is going to take off when I start groaning and saying Ow, my back hurts and I can't move.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Opinions?

Yep!

This BS is not already illegal on the federal level? My God... Get a grip on this one USA, you can do better because you already have on other subjects.

"Yeah i drove over a 7 year old boy riding his bike. But i had an important phone call going on. Yes yes, the kid died, but what i was saying was... Hold on, i have a call waiting!"

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
A long time ago I had a boss that liked to talk on the phone when she drove. The problem was she also texted while driving. She was all over the road. It was scary as hell.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

That’s fine.
Like I said earlier it should make for less accidents.

But so far I have found no evidence that banning phones reduces the amount of accidents.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I'm in Indiana and I've been dreading this. I don't think it's going to help at all really. I got rear ended about a year ago because....guy got one of his granddaughter's hairs stuck on his face! People have been eating, playing with the radio, playing with the climate control, talking to other people in the car, performing sex acts, putting on makeup, etc for ages. Everyone will just try to find methods around these laws which will in turn make it even more distracting. People feel a strong need to be multi-tasking these days, more than ever. I don't think you can stop it by not holding your phone in your hand.
edit on 26-6-2020 by JourneyAbout because: typo

posted on Jul, 3 2020 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JourneyAbout

I’m with you.
I saw a lady ready a book on the highway...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join