It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Language of Race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I have been reading about race theory for a while as it is something that I am interested in as a sphere of human experience.

I wanted to understand more about us as a species and how we are so divided and one of those avenues is our difference in physical appearance
and how we are categorised by society into groups.

I went to my uncle who is a retired biology lecturer and he gave me a book called "man beast and zombie" by kennan malik
and in that book it outlines what science can and cant tell us about humanity.
Our genes our ancestry our migrations our behaviours how we interact with each other in society

the book is really good and it cites a lot of studies by geneticists and biologists and charts the history of the human understanding of who we are and how we got here, all the way up to the mapping of the human genome.

I then read up on various things like the address to the UN on mans shared genetic heritage , and evolutionary geneticist richard lewontins research and his talk at UC berkley , science seems to be in agreement that there are no races as biological markers , however race as a political or sociological phenomenon exists and affects millions .

I thought what is the best way to combat this , it appears that our language is what gives the system power, we as humans attach ourselves and our self identity to the words the system uses , white , black , brown , we have been given these boxes to categorise ourselves with on forms , we are using the words that give it power over us to divide.

If science has shown these are just labels to determine our outward expressions then they are nothing more than a construct of the mind and attachment to the ego and identity of self.

the language of race

we live in a system that uses both politics and your own identity from your biology to divide us, and its supported with the use of language.

We call ourselves Black, White, Asian, African ,
Jewish , etc etc

stanford experts highlight link between language and race

There is obviously a lot going on here , with ones own identity and ego awareness of the material body , the language thats in use by the self to identify with these categories

Science clearly doesnt support the classical 5 races theory as evidenced by the mapping of the human genome project

How science and genetics are reshaping the race debate

I think if humanity are to ever overcome our divide , then we need to reclaim the use of language and somehow change our perceived identities , its a bit NWO sounding , but if we are ever to work as one species then the only identity we need from our biology that really matters is Human. I am not saying we do away with our cultural heritage that just comes from being human and having a brain, im just saying we choose no to identify ourselves by the colour of our skin or our religion but choose to identify with the species first , and then just refer to your ancestry if people want to know about your family history or roots.

There is one single person on earth who cant identify as human right
(aliens just keep yer mouths shut the now)

we as humans need to stop using the systems terms , its one step closer for us to achieve unity , we are divided by sex , by class , by "race" , by age , by sexual preference , by gender ,

If science is telling us that we are all one species and there really is very little difference in our makeup and that its literally skin deep
then why perpetrate a lie , why continue using terms which only exist in social constructs when its not supported by science , espeically when these terms refer directly to our biology

when people say they are woke to social injustice , I really wish they were woke sorry awakened to their true selves , the self with no identity or attachment to the material body , we have been divided for far too long , and these are their tools of division
we are humans

Ok there are labels which we can use for the sake of functioning in society
male female , and your nationality I suppose but these are just where you were born in the lottery of life and should have no impact on your rights as a human being and should afford you no status or position above or below any other

I think and hope that society would change for the better and stop using language which supports division,
words come and go all the time, there are dictionaries full of words that have fallen out of usage,
why not these archaic labels we use to describe ourselves into wee categories to be used against us.

Race language and representations

and if you are interested Richard Lewontins UC Berkley lecture

What do you all think ?

edit on 25-6-2020 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 04:54 AM
link   
apologies I wrote this out really quick sorry if its not properly hashed out

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82
That's happening within science now isn't it?

It's not "race" now its environmental subgroups or something. I cannot remember the exact phrase. Maybe population dynamics?

But I don't think language is the solution.
We shouldn't be manipulating people into believing a certain way.

Science shows us that racism is silly and unjustified, but it also shows us that we are naturally inclined to fear the "other".

And unfortunately also naturally inclined to judge a book by its cover.
edit on 25-6-2020 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: Editing is fun

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

Science clearly doesnt support the classical 5 races theory as evidenced by the mapping of the human genome project

I think if humanity are to ever overcome our divide , then we need to reclaim the use of language and somehow change our perceived identities , its a bit NWO sounding , but if we are ever to work as one species then the only identity we need from our biology that really matters is Human.

However in many instances and in the recent corvid issue it is proved that

certain factors, biologically effect nationality/races differently it is a fact

there are differences BUT that shouldn't effect equality.

I am not saying we do away with our cultural heritage that just comes from being human and having a brain, im just saying we choose no to identify ourselves by the colour of our skin or our religion but choose to identify with the species first , and then just refer to your ancestry if people want to know about your family history or roots.

To me that is like a 'reverse' racism. Culture and heritage.....wonderful the

differences. One can't 'identify' with the colour of our skin we are who we

are and........who ever said 'white' is superior to 'black'?

BUT

If you have been mugged or assualted and have to describe your assailant what

is the first obvious thing you see? Tell the fact and be considered racist?

Black and white exist, are fact who ever said one was bad and one was good? /SMH

when people say they are woke to social injustice , I really wish they were WOKE to their true selves , the self with no identity or attachment to the material body , we have been divided for far too long , and these are their tools of division
we are humans

*Woke* the new word for the race card which is becoming 'old hat'

Ok there are labels which we can use for the sake of functioning in society
male female , and your nationality I suppose but these are just where you were born in the lottery of life

Lol!!!! Male/Female ...... LBGTQ plus the new *woke* stick for beating

up ordinary people.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I don’t believe it, politics have taken over science to the point where the earth is the center of the sun. Look at any transgender study which is not allowed to be published because of politics

Only true blacks are true Homo sapiens. The rest of us are mutts. All white people have Neanderthal genes.

The issue is that many blacks aren’t really Pure Homo Sapiens, That’s where made up race comes in.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

the idea that viruses affect racial groups differently is nothing to do with there genetics
at least none of that is mentioned in the article it references socio poltical reasons why they are more likley to be affected
nothing is mentioned about their biology or DNA or race meaning they are more susceptible
so to suggest that its their DNA due to their race is false

what is happening on a genetic level then is that as they are all ready under stressful conditions from their environment
it will actually shorten their telomere length
Telomeres, lifestyle , cancer and aging

I dont know if that has some knock on effect to their immune system, but cant imagine your DNA beiung shortened to be a good thing in general for the life of the organism

Coronavirus , why some racial groups are more affected

well identity politics is another tool of division used by the system

and the language involved in that is all about self identity and the self , your ego of self

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

WHat is a true black ?

what you are saying goes against the evidence , there are no true genetically pure humans its a fallacy

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Are Japanese really yellow?

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Well...no. Sickle cell anemia is a good example. My beautiful wife is latina and cannot digest milk. I can, as a european. Our sons cannot.

There are some differences. Genetically and otherwise. We arent talking species seperating differences. But knowing you national or cultural background can effect diagnostic and treatment options medically.

Not a reason to divide, but one to classify.

Great OP.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

aye that is to say that these humans have inherited genes which give rise to a disease
and should only be used in a medical biological sense , not to categorise them socially or politically

as in evolutionary geneticists have determined the origins of groups of genes to geographical locations and helps to determine treatment plans if they know their genetic ancestry sure

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The other great speech I was talking about was the UNESCO address by Ashley Montagu in the 1930's

and the UNESCO statements on race in the 70's

"All human beings belong to a single species."

"All peoples of the world possess equal faculties for attaining the highest level in intellectual, technical, social, economic, cultural and political development."
"The differences between the achievements of the different peoples are entirely attributable to geographical, historical, political, economic, social and cultural factors."
"Any theory which involves the claim that racial or ethnic groups are inherently superior or inferior, thus implying that some would be entitled to dominate and eliminate others, presumed to be inferior, or which bases value judgements on racial differentiation, has no scientific foundation and is contrary to the moral and ethical principles of humanity."

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The only way I ever see humanity coming together is when our planet is threatened with annihilation.

Even then there will be people shouting 'nothing burger' and 'fake'

Until whatever it is - comet-asteroid-alien dreadnoughts.... is here and they have sec's left to live

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
I don’t believe it, politics have taken over science to the point where the earth is the center of the sun. Look at any transgender study which is not allowed to be published because of politics

Only true blacks are true Homo sapiens. The rest of us are mutts. All white people have Neanderthal genes.

The issue is that many blacks aren’t really Pure Homo Sapiens, That’s where made up race comes in.

That's not quite true, there are other archaic humans some Africans are mixed with, then you have back migrations, and Africans who out migrated mixing with Eurasians..btw Back migrants, or Eurasians do not necessarily meant, "White" or lite-skinned folks although it was certainly the case closer to our time.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I liken race to dog breed. That is basically what it is. Some cosmetic differences, and some genetic predisposition to some diseases. But otherwise indistinguishable.

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Interesting timing on your post. My Mother was just talking to me about something she learned in her Bible study. She said she never thought about it before, but Ruth was David's great grandmother and she was a Gentile. She said David was a patchwork quilt like her. My mother's grandfather was an Irish Jew, and her mother was Native American. My mother calls our family a patchwork quilt, because the only group we are not sure about being in the mix, is oriental. And that may be covered in the history of the arctic land bridge.

As children growing up in a family, years back and into today, it has been a challenge dealing with some people that expect patchwork quilt children to choose a side. They don't understand that asking a child to choose a side, means that they have to deny a very loved and important person in their lives.

I was blessed to grow up in such a beautiful family, and area, at the time, where we were not stigmatized by the race thing.

I think that we all are patchwork quilts. It doesn't matter the color, the size, the texture of a patch, it is what makes us, the quilt whole.

new topics

top topics

join