It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanted: Honest intelligent productive thinking to resolve the issue God exists or not.

page: 134
<< 131  132  133    135  136  137 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Pachomius

Faith as defined by Merriam Webster Dictionary.

www.merriam-webster.com...

faith noun
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.
ˈfāth
plural faiths ˈfāths , sometimes ˈfāt͟hz
Definition of faith (Entry 1 of 2)
1a : allegiance to duty or a person : LOYALTY
lost faith in the company's president
b(1) : fidelity to one's promises
(2) : sincerity of intentions
acted in good faith
2a(1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God
(2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
b(1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof
clinging to the faith that her missing son would one day return
(2) : complete trust
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction
especially : a system of religious beliefs
the Protestant faith
on faith
: without question
took everything he said on faith
faith verb
ˈfāth
faithed; faithing; faiths
Definition of faith (Entry 2 of 2)
transitive verb
archaic
: BELIEVE, TRUST

The above is the general definition of faith for my native language.

If you don’t like a standard definition with an economy of words that allows for not reconstructing language every time two or more people communicate, petition to have the definition changed or expanded.

Or reference a language in which has a better word for faith than the English language.
edit on 18-9-2020 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

I am loughing... You have to look for the definition of faith to know what it is, and at the same time claiming you have faith.... And then you are on this site trying to argue about God.

Dont you see your own contredictions...?

Question: Does it really mather what we descuss on these sites..? Do you honestly think you can change the future...?

If you have faith in scirpture you should know that It is aleardy written. The End Is Sett. And new books will be Opened. THat means the future is also already written according to scripture.

Pay attention: scripture does not say that new books will be written.... They will be opened.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   
MONO

Dear Neutron, I will not exchange ideas with you on your definition of faith, because you do not have any personally thought up definition of faith except with citing Webster's dictionary, that makes you out as lacking a brain, and I don't bother with a brainless entity.

Try again, produce your definition of what is faith, from your declaration that your concept of God and your transaction with God is founded upon your faith, not upon a dictionary's wording of faith.

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66

What is with you all and false arguments.

Please cite where I provided the definition for myself , and not for others.

Do you disagree with the provided definition.

And. Any comment?

originally posted by: neutronflux

You

I have to laugh.... Do you think God cares if you dont worry about material things. It is not what scripture is about.

I think God is about Godly things. And not about material things. Funny you invoke “scripture” but cannot grasp the deeper meaning of what I post.

Matthew 6

biblehub.com...

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

So sorry I very simply said “ And my hope is not in the material world.” With this scripture in my heart.

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 05:36 PM
link   

You

Dear Neutron, I will not exchange ideas with you on your definition of faith, because you do not have any personally thought up definition of faith except with citing Webster's dictionary, that makes you out as lacking a brain, and I don't bother with a brainless entity.

Then your idea of faith is different than the English word and definition?

Then what is a better and more concise definition as provided?

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   

How many times have I provided this scripture to compare and contrast evidence vs faith.

www.biblegateway.com...

Jesus Appears to Thomas
24 Now Thomas(A) (also known as Didymus[a]), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”

But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side,(B) I will not believe.”(C)

26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace(D) be with you!”(E) 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”(F)

28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed;(G) blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”(H)

Do I have to spell out in my opinion your Thomas.

Sorry I learn by compare and contrast. Sorry you don’t seem to learn from others.

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Do you disagree with the provided definition.

Lets get to the bottom of this... : Who has written the definition of faith. Is it a persone of faith...? Or is it a group of peopel of no faith that have taken authority to describe faith..?

Do you know what faith is...? Or if the definition is correct or not..? Only a person of faith would know if the definition is correct or not.

I think God is about Godly things. And not about material things. Funny you invoke “scripture” but cannot grasp the deeper meaning of what I post.

I grasp more about you than you do... Becasue until now i have not been wrong. God is not about what you think. The future is written so is the next future afther this one.

THe singularity will not change. It will run its cource all the way to its end.

Peopel who argue about evolution have no dam clue. Evolution is true. Some have already ask if God created the monkeys.... But God did not,... neither did lord God. Earht created the monkeys. Earth also formed man.... Now the big question is. Do you beleive everything you read in scripture..?

So sorry I very simply said “ And my hope is not in the material world.” With this scripture in my heart.

Much of the scripture is about the material world. Have you read about the bride,,,? Have you read about sacrifice...? There si so much about the material world in scripture....

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I think faith has to do with ones personal relationship with God. So it’s different for each person.

You

God is not about what you think.

And God is not about glorifying yourself with false authority.

God is about opening yourself to God. Serving God. And glorifying God.

And one’s personal relationship is God leading and a shepherd, one following as being shepherd and serving. With you having no right to criticize how God chooses to interact from person to person.

You

Much of the scripture is about the material world. Have you read about the bride,,,? Have you read about sacrifice...? There si so much about the material world in scripture....

Scripture

Luke

Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.

28“It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. 29But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all.

30“It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed. 31On that day no one who is on the housetop, with possessions inside, should go down to get them. Likewise, no one in the field should go back for anything. 32Remember Lot’s wife! 33Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it. 34I tell you, on that night two people will be in one bed; one will be taken and the other left. 35Two women will be grinding grain together; one will be taken and the other left.” [36] e

37“Where, Lord?” they asked.

He replied, “Where there is a dead body, there the vultures will gather.”

Shrugs...

I thought you said the scripture said this?

Scripture is about faith and loyalty.

So is it “ Scripture is about faith and loyalty” or Much of the scripture is about the material world.

I thought the absolute purpose of scripture was to glorify God. Is that false?

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   
MONO

Dear Neutron, please go and talk on your faith in the Bible, but not in my thread,* it has to do with God existing or not, on reason, as members of the tribe homo sapiens talk about the issue God exists or not, grounding themselves on honest intelligent productive thinking.

*The OP = Wanted: Honest intelligent productive thinking to resolve the issue God exists or not. (Not on searching the Bible.)

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I think faith has to do with ones personal relationship with God. So it’s different for each person.

So what you are sying is that you dont know who wrote the definition of faith........... That is why you answer the question this way.,,. With what you think.

And one’s personal relationship is God leading and a shepherd, one following as being shepherd and serving. With you having no right to criticize how God chooses to interact from person to person.

I am a person of absolut faith. I have all the right.... I know when you are bull#ting us...... I know when bulll# is being presented as a theory on this topic...

There is a reason why i am here.... I have a mission just like you have. Do you know why you are here.....?

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   

You

So what you are sying is that you dont know who wrote the definition of faith

Try quoting what I actually posted, not creating your false arguments.

I thought the absolute purpose of scripture was to glorify God. Is that false?

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Dear Pachomius.

Are the people in the Holy Bible wrong time testify God, and present there testimonies concerning how God interacted with their lives. I believe them and their faith over your definitions.

You

*The OP = Wanted: Honest intelligent productive thinking to resolve the issue God exists or not. (Not on searching the Bible.)

Then why do you lie about what I post?

Now

Then your idea of faith is different than the English word and definition?

Then what is a better and more concise definition as provided?

posted on Sep, 19 2020 @ 12:15 AM
link   

The observant one might notice that they almost put the definition for credulity (or blind faith, believing something without evidence/proof, slightly altered to "for which there is no proof") in there.

Faith (Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 1)

The word “faith” is translated from the Greek piʹstis, primarily conveying the thought of confidence, trust, firm persuasion. Depending on the context, the Greek word may also be understood to mean “faithfulness” or “fidelity.”​—1Th 3:7; Tit 2:10.

The Scriptures tell us: “Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld.” (Heb 11:1) “Assured expectation” translates the Greek word hy·poʹsta·sis. This term is common in ancient papyrus business documents. It conveys the idea of something that underlies visible conditions and guarantees a future possession. In view of this, Moulton and Milligan suggest the rendering: “Faith is the title deed of things hoped for.” (Vocabulary of the Greek Testament, 1963, p. 660) The Greek word eʹleg·khos, rendered “evident demonstration,” conveys the idea of bringing forth evidence that demonstrates something, particularly something contrary to what appears to be the case. Thereby this evidence makes clear what has not been discerned before and so refutes what has only appeared to be the case. “The evident demonstration,” or evidence for conviction, is so positive or powerful that faith is said to be it.

Faith is, therefore, the basis for hope and the evidence for conviction concerning unseen realities. The entire body of truths delivered by Jesus Christ and his inspired disciples constitutes the true Christian “faith.” (Joh 18:37; Ga 1:7-9; Ac 6:7; 1Ti 5:8) Christian faith is based on the complete Word of God, including the Hebrew Scriptures, to which Jesus and the writers of the Christian Greek Scriptures frequently referred in support of their statements.

Faith is based on concrete evidence. The visible creative works testify to the existence of an invisible Creator. (Ro 1:20) The actual occurrences taking place during the ministry and earthly life of Jesus Christ identify him as the Son of God. (Mt 27:54; see JESUS CHRIST.) God’s record of providing for his earthly creatures serves as a valid basis for believing that he will surely provide for his servants, and his record as a Giver and Restorer of life lends ample evidence to the credibility of the resurrection hope. (Mt 6:26, 30, 33; Ac 17:31; 1Co 15:3-8, 20, 21) Furthermore, the reliability of God’s Word and the accurate fulfillment of its prophecies instill confidence in the realization of all of His promises. (Jos 23:14) Thus, in these many ways, “faith follows the thing heard.”​—Ro 10:17; compare Joh 4:7-30, 39-42; Ac 14:8-10.

So faith is not credulity. The person who may ridicule faith usually has faith himself in tried and trusted friends. The scientist has faith in the principles of his branch of science. He bases new experiments on past discoveries and looks for new discoveries on the basis of those things already established as true. Likewise, the farmer prepares his soil and sows the seed, expecting, as in previous years, that the seed will sprout and that the plants will grow as they receive the needed moisture and sunshine. Therefore faith in the stability of the natural laws governing the universe actually constitutes a foundation for man’s plans and activities. Such stability is alluded to by the wise writer of Ecclesiastes: “The sun also has flashed forth, and the sun has set, and it is coming panting to its place where it is going to flash forth. The wind is going to the south, and it is circling around to the north. Round and round it is continually circling, and right back to its circlings the wind is returning. All the winter torrents are going forth to the sea, yet the sea itself is not full. To the place where the winter torrents are going forth, there they are returning so as to go forth.”​—Ec 1:5-7.

In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word ʼa·manʹ and other words closely related convey the sense of trustworthiness, faithfulness, steadiness, steadfastness, being firmly established, long-lasting. (Ex 17:12; De 28:59; 1Sa 2:35; 2Sa 7:16; Ps 37:3) One related noun (ʼemethʹ) usually denotes “truth,” but also “faithfulness” or “trustworthiness.” (2Ch 15:3, ftn; 2Sa 15:20; compare Ne 7:2, ftn.) The familiar term “Amen” (Heb., ʼa·menʹ) also comes from ʼa·manʹ.​—See AMEN.

edit on 19-9-2020 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2020 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: spy66

...The future is written so is the next future afther this one.

Such thinking reflects a concept that finds a place in many religions around the globe—fate. Many people believe that our future, from the day of our birth to the day of our death, is somehow written in advance.

Belief in fate takes various forms, making an all-encompassing definition difficult. Fate basically conveys the idea that everything that happens, every act, every event—whether good or bad—is inevitable; it is destined to occur because it has been determined in advance by a higher force, beyond the control of man. Such a concept can be found in astrology, in Hinduism’s and Buddhism’s karma, as well as in Christendom’s doctrine of predestination. Back in ancient Babylonia, men believed that the gods controlled fate and the future by means of a written document. Supposedly, any god who controlled these “tablets of destiny” could decide the fates of men, of kingdoms, and even of the gods themselves.

Many believers hold that by divine decree before humans are born, God determines all that will happen to people, including the length of their life, whether they will be male or female, rich or poor, miserable or happy. All of this is said to exist in God’s mind or to be written in a book before it comes to be. Thus it is not uncommon for a believer to say when calamity strikes, “mektoub,”—it is written! It is reasoned that since God knows everything beforehand, he must also determine who will obey him and who will disobey. Many adherents thus believe that even before a person is born, God has already determined whether he is destined for everlasting bliss in Paradise or he will receive everlasting doom.

You may feel that this sounds very much like the doctrine of predestination taught in some churches of Christendom. The foremost Protestant proponent of predestination was the 16th-century French Reformer John Calvin. He defined predestination as “the eternal decree of God, by which he determined what he wanted to do with each man. Not all are created in the same condition, but eternal life is foreordained for some and eternal damnation for others.” Calvin also asserted: “God not only foresaw the fall of the first man, and in him the ruin of his posterity; but also at his own pleasure arranged it.”

Yet, not all members of religions that teach predestination or fatalism believe it personally. Some rightly point out that the religious writings mention man’s free will. In fact, there has been great controversy over human actions, whether they are the consequence of a free human choice or they are predetermined by God. Some, for example, have argued that man must be free to choose and act, since God, who is just, holds man responsible and accountable for his acts. Others have said that God creates the acts of man but that man somehow “acquires” them and becomes responsible for them. Generally speaking, however, many hold that every event, large and small, in our daily lives has been decreed by God.

What do you believe? Has God already determined what your future will be? Do humans truly have free will, the ability to make real choices about their future? To what extent is our destiny contingent upon our own actions? The following articles seek to give answers to these questions:

What Will Your Future Be?
Faith and Your Future
Jehovah Fulfills His Promises to Faithful Ones

The Bible’s Viewpoint

Is Your Future Predestined?

• Many people believe that their life and future are predestined by a higher power. They feel that from conception to death, we all follow a script already written in the mind of God. ‘After all,’ they say, ‘God is all-powerful and all-knowing, or omniscient, so surely he must know every detail about the past, the present, and the future.’

WHAT do you think? Does God foreordain our life course and ultimate destiny? In other words, is free will genuine or just an illusion? What does the Bible say?

Total or Selective Foreknowledge?

The Bible leaves us in no doubt as to God’s having foreknowledge. He knows “from the beginning the finale,” says Isaiah 46:10. He even used human secretaries to record many prophecies. (2 Peter 1:21) What is more, those prophecies always come true because God has both the wisdom and the power to fulfill them in every detail. Hence, God can not only foreknow but also foreordain events whenever he chooses to do so. However, does God foreordain the destiny of every human or even the total number who will gain salvation? Not according to the Bible.

The Bible teaches that God is selective when it comes to foreordaining the future. For example, God foretold that “a great crowd” of righteous humans would survive the destruction of the wicked at the end of the present system of things. (Revelation 7:9, 14) Note, though, that God did not give a specific number for that great crowd. The reason? He does not predestinate individuals. God is like the loving father of a large family. He knows that at least some of His children will reciprocate His love, but He does not predetermine the number.

Compare God’s use of foreordination with the way he uses his power. As the Almighty, God has absolute power. (Psalm 91:1; Isaiah 40:26, 28) But does he use his power in an uncontrolled manner? No. For instance, he held back from acting against Babylon, an enemy of ancient Israel, until the time was right. “I kept exercising self-control,” God said. (Isaiah 42:14) The same principle applies to his use of foreknowledge and foreordination. Jehovah exercises self-control in order to respect the free will that he gave us.

God’s control of his powers does not limit him or render him imperfect. In fact, it magnifies his greatness, and it endears him to us, for it shows that his sovereignty truly is exercised not only with omniscience and power but also with love and respect for the free will of his intelligent creation.

On the other hand, if God predetermines everything, including every nasty accident and vile deed that has ever happened, could we not rightly blame him for all the misery and suffering in the world? Thus, upon closer inspection, the teaching of predestination does not honor God, but casts a pall over him. It paints him as cruel, unjust, and unloving​—the very opposite of what the Bible says about him.​—Deuteronomy 32:4.

The Choice Is Yours

How Can You “Choose Life”?

Source: Is Your Future Predestined? (Awake!—2009)

posted on Sep, 19 2020 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Quarrel, endless quarrel.

I'll bake some pancakes today. Pancakes are proof of God.

posted on Sep, 19 2020 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Wrong thread
edit on 19-9-2020 by Out6of9Balance because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance
Quarrel, endless quarrel.

I'll bake some pancakes today. Pancakes are proof of God.

Satan laughs when the children of God fight over pedantry.

Let's focus on the abundance of our similarities rather than digging up subtle disagreements.

posted on Sep, 19 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   
How many of these threads about God on ATS have asked the same question.

130 pages later has God been found?

posted on Sep, 19 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

130 pages later has God been not found?

posted on Sep, 19 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

130 pages later and there is no rational argument left that could conclude intelligence came from non-intelligence.

new topics

top topics

<< 131  132  133    135  136  137 >>

join