It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bubba Smollett

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Phage

Give it up.

Its not a noose. Its a slipknot. Lets be honest. A slipknot in a place that one would be expected to find one....to pull down an overhead door. Like you see literally every where.

Not a noose. A slipknot.

Definitely not a noose.
I would even say it is not even a slip knot. A properly tied slip knot slides to open and close the loop.
This appears to be a loop tied with an overhand knot. It would make sense that is what it is, because the purpose of the loop in this case is to provide a handle at the end of the rope to pull the door downwards to close it. You would not want the knot to slip closed in that situation. You would want it to remain a loop when you pull on it.
net knots
edit on b000000302020-06-24T07:19:08-05:0007America/ChicagoWed, 24 Jun 2020 07:19:08 -0500700000020 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

In fact, even after the FBI report, I saw Bubba himself on the news this morning defiant, insisting it's still a noose.

So you tell me who's invested in making this into a thing.

edit on 24-6-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
He was assigned a garage and found a door pull tied as a noose there.

Actually, he didn't find anything, it was one of his crew.

But, I stand with Bubble because I also lose my mind over stuff that other people tell me about without verifying the facts for myself first. It's how I roll.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I'm beginning to suspect that Bubba thinks it's his duty to make NASCAR get Woke similar to how Anita Sarkeesian thinks it's her duty to make the entire video game industry conform to Woke politics.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:22 AM
link   
After watching his interview on CBS this morning, I have now doubt he would not know what a door pull was. And that he still wants this buzz to continue as he mockingly placated by calling it a “door pull” too.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Looks fairly noosey to my eye, the length of the knot portion relative to the rope diameter tell the tale.

Poor taste, nothing more, IMO.

Also, if you want a pull down loop, for heavens sake use a bowline knot!

edit on 24-6-2020 by tjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

NASCAR could add a whole new segment to their broadcasts, one where Bubba Chump gives new racist definitions to everyday objects.

*Announcer holds up spatula*

Bubba: "That's a slave-beater!"

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: tjack

So? The fact that it was there long before him proves it was no hate crime.

And if it's really that disturbing ... re-tie it, or is every man on his crew that knot inept? I mean, I realize the boy scouts are so passee, but seriously.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: tjack
Looks fairly noosey to my eye, the length of the knot portion relative to the rope diameter tell the tale.

Any loop would look "noosey" if that's how your mind automatically rationalizes that, which says a whole lotta stuff about you.

It isn't a Noose, it's a legit door pull, no speculation beyond that.

People may actually think he's an idiot for not recognizing the door pull, all that time in the garage, huh? Unless he lets only his people do all the work and he just steers.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Give it up.

Its not a noose. Its a slipknot. Lets be honest. A slipknot in a place that one would be expected to find one....to pull down an overhead door. Like you see literally every where.

Not a noose. A slipknot.

Definitely not a noose.
I would even say it is not even a slip knot. A properly tied slip knot slides to open and close the loop.
This appears to be a loop tied with an overhand knot. It would make sense that is what it is, because the purpose of the loop in this case is to provide a handle at the end of the rope to pull the door downwards to close it. You would not want the knot to slip closed in that situation. You would want it to remain a loop when you pull on it.
net knots

to your point, a noose is also a form of 'slip' knot and would never be used as a door pull. It looks from the pictures to be a loop that turned into a 'if you can't tie a knot, tie a lot' situation to keep it from coming undone, so "looks like" a noose from a distance or through racist eyes. That said, its just a utility knot and put there to pull the door down.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Amusing, but even Oprah’s friend Gail King reported that the FBI stated it wasn’t a functional noose but was tied like a noose.

Not to get too deep into peerages, but the family crest has a noose because we were wardens with the authority to hang poachers. It passed from father to eldest son. Which explains why we ended up in America...I descended from one of the non-eldest sons along the way.
edit on 24-6-2020 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede

Give it up.

Not a noose. A slipknot.

Definitely not a noose.
net knots

to your point, a noose is also a form of 'slip' knot and would never be used as a door pull. It looks from the pictures to be a loop that turned into a 'if you can't tie a knot, tie a lot' situation to keep it from coming undone, so "looks like" a noose from a distance or through racist eyes. That said, its just a utility knot and put there to pull the door down.

If you go to this link , there are a lot clearer photos of the door pull ropes at Talledega and even a video showing a number of them.

edit on b000000302020-06-24T07:43:37-05:0007America/ChicagoWed, 24 Jun 2020 07:43:37 -0500700000020 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

Any loop would look "noosey" if that's how your mind automatically rationalizes that, which says a whole lotta stuff about you.

People may actually think he's an idiot for not recognizing the door pull, all that time in the garage, huh? Unless he lets only his people do all the work and he just steers.
I agree. A legit door pull, tied with a noose-like knot.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:51 AM
link   

And ... it wouldn't take much effort to notice that everyone else's is exactly the same as your's and from there to decide that if the association really bothers you to simply get rid of it/change it to suit your personal emotional fragility.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

I agree. A legit door pull, tied with a noose-like knot.
Cool, just as long as you know it isn't anything else, but a door pull 😌

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And ... it wouldn't take much effort to notice that everyone else's is exactly the same as your's and from there to decide that if the association really bothers you to simply get rid of it/change it to suit your personal emotional fragility.

People get triggered over a bunch of stuff, never seen someone get so triggered over hand pulls 🤔🤭

Dudes totally not a mechanic.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I used to like this dude.

The next Danica Patrick for sure.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Indeed. So the question remaining in my mind is not about the knot, it's whether or not it was truly perceived as a possible hate symbol aimed at Bubba, or, being used to forward an agenda. In today's climate, it's hard to say. But yeah, seems iffy

I don't know anything about the guy though, so I don't care to speculate about his motivations, I simply chimed in to say, to me, it looks to be tied in the fashion of a noose. And that, in 2020, handle pull or not, it's rather poor taste, in my opinion.

Functionally, a bowline or a monkey fist would be better choices and avoid the "bad optics".

A little pragmatism can go a long way.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Functionally, a bowline or a monkey fist would be better choices and avoid the "bad optics".

Then you can factor economics into the equation.
The overhand or even a double overhand loop can be done much faster than a bowline or a monkey's fist. If I own the company responsible for installing the garage doors at Talladega and I see my employees tying a monkey's fist knot on the end of all of those ropes... I would chew them out at the very least.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Then you can factor economics into the equation.
The overhand or even a double overhand loop can be done much faster than a bowline or a monkey's fist. If I own the company responsible for installing the garage doors at Talladega and I see my employees tying a monkey's fist knot on the end of all of those ropes... I would chew them out at the very least.

What if they were tying nooses? Same chew out, I'd guess, and rightly so.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join