It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Removed from the statue debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Okay I am done with the staue debate, I have been arguing with my family and other people for a couple days now. ANd its just like they don;t get it. They dont get it!

Because of one bad fact in a histroic persons life we have to remove them we have to drag them through tthe mud now. There other deeds that this person has done don;t get balanced look?

its just " you owned a slave you are scum and the worst humanity has to offer."

You try to mention FDR in an argument. Nope they go around that fact.

You then try and ask, so everyone who fought for the south was an evil racist? "Yes"
It wasn't that there soldiers and soldiers follow orders.

I even showed them the venezulean lady,

response I got: "thats a piss poor argument." "thats from a different country it doesnt apply"

So I tried to reason, I tried comparisons, allegories, logic.

I dont think we can say anymore, it might be like President Trump said we just have to stop them and put them in jail or good people have to stand up. And say we are done talking, you will not erase history.

But I hit a breaking point today, I;m done, I love to have debates and conversations, buit I'm done. I;m done.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

If you can;t see that this is on parrell with the burning of the alexandria library.

I'm done!

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Just ask them if it is OK to destroy public property as a means of protest.

If they say that is fine, then tell them that they need to TOMORROW go down to the nearest public park and burn it down.

Otherwise they are racist.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 11:04 PM
link   

The Islamic Prophet Muhammad bought, sold, captured, and owned slaves himself. Are they going to go after the mosques?

I highly doubt it.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Saw somewhere that a statue of stevie ray Vaughan was vandalized.

I guess that serves him right for all the slaves he owned huh.

Or maybe he was just caught in the crossfire.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Whoa, back up a sec, man.

Stevie Ray had a statue??

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 12:12 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

The Islamic Prophet Muhammad bought, sold, captured, and owned slaves himself. Are they going to go after the mosques?

I highly doubt it.

They were white so it's okay. That's different.

What race is Middle Eastern considered?
Under the U.S. Census definition and U.S. federal agency, individuals with ancestry from North Africa are considered white. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission regulations also explicitly define white as "original peoples of Europe, North Africa, or the Middle East."

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Maverick1

Yep, in Texas.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Why is it you can't reason with people? That black is white and white is black, no matter what you say?

www.youtube.com...

(Note: So many of the most important vids can't be embedded.)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: LoneCloudHopper2
(Note: So many of the most important vids can't be embedded.)

Huh?

Embedded

You have to remove the time stamp from the URL when you embed it.
edit on 24-6-2020 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Because of one bad fact in a histroic persons life we have to remove them we have to drag them through tthe mud now. There other deeds that this person has done don;t get balanced look?

I think you’re leaving out the fact that these statues were erected as a middle finger to civil rights. None of these were put up directly after the civil war as a way to remember it, they were installed last century.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I think you’re leaving out the fact that these statues were erected as a middle finger to civil rights. None of these were put up directly after the civil war as a way to remember it, they were installed last century.

So is that why they vandalized the statue of the black Union soldiers?

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I just see both sides not listening to each other. The left is going too far in some cases and the right completely ignoring that some statues were erected well after the civil war in spite of black people.

Both sides should focus on police reform. Although i understand the anger at some towns refusing to remove Confederacy statues. The confederacy being defended as heritage has got to stop.

Everyone has freedom to wave the confederacy flag. Or a nazi flag.
edit on 24-6-2020 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

What? No they weren't. The ONLY thing I know of to be a bold, direct and not ever denied Middle Finger to civil rights is the current design of the Mississippi state flag, actually -- the design came about in the 1800's for that reason, this WAS taught growing up in Florida at my middle school in History (dunno about the rest of 'em)

But the statues? Name one that was an indisputable, direct big, fat civil rights F You in original intent.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   

These people are just consumed with hate. You can't reason with hate. It's best just to steer clear of them, because after they are done venting their hate on inanimate objects they will go after living things.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher

If you can;t see that this is on parrell with the burning of the alexandria library.

I'm done!

Not the same.
That library held information that existed in only one place. When it was burned that info was lost forever.

The history of the civil war is everywhere in this country. Taught in every school. In every library and there are 100's of them here. And easily found online for anyone in the world that wants to learn it.

History can not be erased because some statues are removed. They are just statues.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

That was 100'0 years ago.
This is about what happen in the united states not to long ago.
It's not about what happened in some other country to somebody else's relatives.

I'm only speaking for the usa. The blm protest going on in europe and other places could be about many other things unique to their history. I don't know.
edit on 24-6-2020 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

originally posted by: American-philosopher

I'm done!

Not the same.
That library held information that existed in only one place. When it was burned that info was lost forever.

The history of the civil war is everywhere in this country. Taught in every school. In every library and there are 100's of them here. And easily found online for anyone in the world that wants to learn it.

History can not be erased because some statues are removed. They are just statues.

That's not quite true either.

The Alexandrian scribes took writings made copies, kept the originals, and then gave the copies back to the original bearers.

There was also another library in Pergamum and the two libraries competed to have the most information.

Also, these libraries weren't free access libraries. They were more akin to the Vatican's library where only select people could access the libraries.

The two or three common legends about the destruction are shoddy, contain anachronisms, and really just don't hold water when it comes down to what really happened.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Just ask them if it is OK to destroy public property as a means of protest.

If they say that is fine, then tell them that they need to TOMORROW go down to the nearest public park and burn it down.

Otherwise they are racist
a reply to: Lumenari

So check this out I recently advocated to my local city council to open up basketball courts in the city, And it turns out that the basketball courts were VANDALIZED.

who vandalizes a basketball court.

new topics

top topics

join