It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wheat, yep, it may come down to wheat that puts many businesses out the door

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

It's hard to get wheat at the grocery store. 1/2 of the time the shelves have been empty. If anything people are baking more while at home.

Personally I've gone through a 25lb bag of flour making things. I'm surprised there's a glut of wheat on the market.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: rom12345

originally posted by: Brotherman
No wheat no beer brotherman going postal

Are you thinking of hops.

Wheat is also used in brewing beer. Make a beer from just hops and it will draw your asshole up to your armpits.

I see.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

There has been a shortage of processed wheat (maybe not a shortage so much as a very high demand for), but the wheat itself is in solid supply. The shutdown impacted processing plants and mills same as it did other manufacturing businesses.

Honestly, if you use a lot of flour, buy yourself a wondermill grain mill and hit up your local Trader Joes/WholeFoods/farm store and buy some 50 lb bags of wheat berries. It's expensive up front, but pays for itself within a year or two.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

the 25lb bag of flour is like $10 at costco so not worth it for me. I don't use it that fast. But it's good to know.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

My Brother has 20 acres smack dab in the middle of a HUGE wheat growing region of Washington..... I was just out there recently, Beautiful miles and miles and miles and miles of golden (and green) grain. he knows all his neighbors, All wheat farmers, distribution and supply line folks, crop duster pilots, everyone, According to him this was a really good growing season and it is looking "business as usual" with exports, etc, I am not sure what bad thing is gonna happen? Maybe I will carefully re-read the last few pages and see what I may have missed?

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Lr103

I don't think that anything is wrong to be honest.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Organic flour is on sale this week at the local store. I should buy another ten five pounders to get our stock up again.

There might be higher prices on the organic wheat because a lot of the stock was bought up when there was no other flour on the shelves at the store.
edit on 23-6-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I don't see where we have a glut in wheat right now based on the lack of bread, buns and other baked goods at pretty much all the local markets near me. I have to drive 25 miles to get to a Meijers, Wallmart or other larger grocery chain to pick through the last few loaves of bread on nearly empty baking goods aisles. The quantity and quality are low and the prices are high.

It is likely different in the bigger cities, probably more available, I don't know as I would have to drive at least an hour to find out.
edit on 23-6-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

The best thing you could ever do for yourself is to buy a breadmaker. I did and make my own bread in it.

The house smells awesome when the machine is baking.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Oh hell yes! I agree. In fact when I was close to out of bread, I considered baking a couple loaves (something I'll do just for the taste and smell of home baked bread). But it was hot, so I went and got a couple of cheap brand white bread loaves at the larger grocery store near me, that was all they had outside of some way over priced specialty breads, and very little of it. It was also more expensive than it should have been and of course it sucked compared to home baked.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I don't see where we have a glut in wheat right now based on the lack of bread, buns and other baked goods at pretty much all the local markets near me. I have to drive 25 miles to get to a Meijers, Wallmart or other larger grocery chain to pick through the last few loaves of bread on nearly empty baking goods aisles. The quantity and quality are low and the prices are high.

It is likely different in the bigger cities, probably more available, I don't know as I would have to drive at least an hour to find out.

We don't have a shortage of bread in our area but flour was scarce for a while. Specific items have been out for a while because people are hoarding them. Even our local Meijer is fully stocked on TP and paper towels now with no sign of running low again unless there's another shutdown. I probably have enough to get through the summer but I'll still buy ahead just in case.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join