It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police officers trade racist memes conspiracy theories and Islamophobia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Enough with your hate speech.

Now this has become a hate site!

See how easy it is?

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

Several officers claimed that they didn’t even know they were members of the closed groups we identified them in. And that’s probably the case for at least some of these officers, due to Facebook’s policies for joining groups.

Until late 2018, Facebook allowed users to invite friends to join groups they thought would interest them. The invitees would receive a notification telling them they were a member of a new group, and depending on each user’s algorithm, the user’s news feed might include content and postings from the group. But it’s certainly possible that cops could have been added to groups without realizing it, especially if they’re not active on Facebook.

Interesting...well, to me anyway, because I don't trust Facebook and Zuckerberg.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   
“Hate groups” as defined by “reporters”

Leftists are pathetic

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Considering there are more than 800,000 LEOs in the US, that's actually a pretty low number. Probably a lower percentage than in the general population. Are you complimenting them on how low that number is? You should be.

We also need to think about how many of the 14,000 are members just because they are pro cop groups. I'm on Facebook to stay in touch with my old military buddies going back 40 years. I post on Facebook like hardly ever and only to buddies birthdays etc. I don't even follow face book posts, so how many of them are like me.

I would bet too the number that post rude comments would be a very small number, but the whole gets labeled.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
14,000 is a very low number compared to an estimated one million officers in the US.

14,000 sounds so much better than to say something like .02% of the police are racist assholes.

edit on 23-6-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

It seems the whole idea of what's going on now, is that if a tiny part of a group are racist, the whole group is.

Its childlike logic and exhibits extremely poor critical thinking skills.

Personally I applaud all the LEOs for not walking off the job. Just wearing a badge is a heroic act.

The profound cowardice of our leaders who don't publically speak out in support of police is breathtaking.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   
14000 is an awful lot for 2 reporters to "find" 🍯

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

you didn't even read or just left this part out of your OP, it's not 14000 cops just almost 400.

from your source in the OP

We wrote software to download these lists directly from Facebook, something the platform allowed at the time. In mid-2018, in the wake of the Cambridge Analytica scandal and after we already had downloaded our data, Facebook shut down the ability to download membership lists from groups. Then we ran those two datasets against each other to find users who were members of at least one law enforcement group and one far-right group.

We got 14,000 hits.

We did not assume that everyone in a police Facebook group was an actual officer, because many could be relatives of police officers or just really into law enforcement. So, we spent months poring over individual Facebook pages, looking for clues, such as photos of the officer in uniform, or posts about police events, or notes mourning lost cops. Then we corroborated what we found on Facebook with additional research, often calling the departments to confirm the individual either still or had once worked there.

Ultimately, we confirmed that almost 400 users were indeed either currently employed as police officers, sheriffs or prison guards or had once worked in law enforcement.

edit on 23-6-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   
'hate' is now a very flexible definition.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I find it interesting that they are still using those data sets that Facebook removed access to. 400 current or former out of 400k current and who knows how many former. I would say that's probably lower than the average population, now if that's because they know linking their job to their profile and subscribing to a group might be frowned upon, or if they are less likely to be members of some of those groups that are deemed "racist" who knows. Either way, that's a pretty dang small number of people to make a big deal about.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

either case, it's sure not the bald face lie that is the Title of this thread.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: Xtrozero

It seems the whole idea of what's going on now, is that if a tiny part of a group are racist, the whole group is.

Its childlike logic and exhibits extremely poor critical thinking skills.

Personally I applaud all the LEOs for not walking off the job. Just wearing a badge is a heroic act.

The profound cowardice of our leaders who don't publically speak out in support of police is breathtaking.

Lets throw an oh sh@t into the mix...What if those making perceived racist remarks were actually black cops? I will bet a good percentage of cops on those sites are minorities.

edit on 23-6-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   
lmfao

you lost your 'argument' when you mentioned anti- anything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join