It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Coronavirus Death Rate 49X Higher Than Flu

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   
...and some have said we'd never hit 50k deaths.

This is why I think we let up a little too early. Had we gone one more month perhaps, things might be a little different today. Then again, maybe not. Either way, I think the phrase, "It is what it is" applies here.

Source

And the survey says!!! ...Ouch!

While about 0.1 percent of people who got the flu died in the US last year, according to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, the coronavirus' death rate is currently about 4.9 percent, based on the reported totals of cases and deaths. That makes the coronavirus' average death rate 49 times higher than that of the flu.

Although the breakdown reveals that a smaller percentage of infected people from 50-64 years old have died of COVID-19 relative to most other age groups, that bracket represents the highest share of confirmed cases overall (more than 475,000).

Globally, coronavirus cases have topped 9 million and more than 469,000 people have died. So no, this new disease isn't "just another flu."

Makes me wonder just how the next few months will play out. Currently, these are the day rates of NEW cases.

Oh my... The numbers just keep going.

Last mark is at 142k as of yesterday.
edit on 23-6-2020 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

+55 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Aren't they ruling covid as the cause of death for any death of an infected person?

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Where are the links?

+27 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Still isn’t enough to justify destroying the economy and force 40 million people out of work.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   

We never should have shut anything down. I'm also sure the bs blm protests has nothing to do with it right? I mean, they said so on. The today show this morning so it must be true right?
edit on 23-6-2020 by cognizant420 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2020 by cognizant420 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
Aren't they ruling covid as the cause of death for any death of an infected person?

No they're not. That is some spin whipped-up by people desperate to make the Administration look like they know what they're talking about. Nearly all people who die from lung cancer actually die as a result of the pneumonia that develops secondarily.

For COVID-19, the immediate cause of death might be listed as respiratory distress, with the second line reading “due to COVID-19.” Contributing factors such as heart disease, diabetes or high blood pressure would then be listed further down. This has led to some confusion by people arguing that the “real” cause of death was heart disease or diabetes, Aiken said, but that’s not the case.

source

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   
We did what they asked to "flatten the curve". Now it's time to let our immune systems work as designed and for medical treatments to be used as they are successfully around the globe. Hospitalization and intubation turned out to not be such a good idea. Why aren't we treating symptoms like we always have? Antibiotics for the infections, anti-virals for the virus. It seems to be working for some, there's no reason not to try it here.

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

Administration? Just stop.
You mean the CDC.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Won't it eventually be 100% of the population is a new case? Just like the flu. Everyone gets it. We still have no idea how much of the population already had it. They could test my entire town and say there's 20,000 new cases but it would just be the people who already had it.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
Still isn’t enough to justify destroying the economy and force 40 million people out of work.

As you are about to see, the virus will destroy the economy on its own --- shutdowns or no shutdowns. Add to that a healthcare system that is overwhelmed exacerbating an already dire situation. Look at what's happening in the states with Republican Governors that acquiesced to Trump's demand that the economy be re-opened (TX, AZ, FL, GA, SC...). They're infection rates are skyrocketing. Businesses that opened are being forced to close. Further lock-downs are being seriously considered. People won't return to work if their coworkers fall ill and then the economy tanks regardless. Had we done the right thing (masks, social-distancing, actual quarantines) we would likely have gotten through this until a vaccine was widely available. But because people just don't care or are too abjectly stupid to understand what's going on, we will be dealing with this at Christmas.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:34 AM
link   

You mean the CDC.

No. I most certainly mean Trump & Co. His blame-everyone-but-himself game is coming to an end. This isn't on the CDC. If the aforementioned ass-hats had LISTENED to the CDC we wouldn't be where we are. But you go on clinging to the Trump narrative. It won't make a bit of difference now.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   
CDC

Look at the "pneumonia" numbers !!!!!

And remember there's a vaccine for pneumonia !!! 😃

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I think everything is relative.

The county that I live in had three people die from lightning strikes on a single day and thus far has only had one Covid death. But people around here do not live on top of each other like in the cities. Which I think has everything to do with it.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Let me guess...2 weeks...right? Everything shut down and the TV is telling me all about it because they care about me right?

They can even predict the future and will inform you when the big second,third,fourth wave will hit. 100℅ accurate never wrong...about anything. Make sure you tune in, to make sure it's safe to go outside. The TV will tell you so.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
CDC

Spoken like a true medical professional. There are many kinds of pneumonia and as a secondary infection to cancer, COVID, or COPD a vaccine is useless.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508

You mean the CDC.

No. I most certainly mean Trump & Co. His blame-everyone-but-himself game is coming to an end. This isn't on the CDC. If the aforementioned ass-hats had LISTENED to the CDC we wouldn't be where we are. But you go on clinging to the Trump narrative. It won't make a bit of difference now.

If the country is shutdown for 18 months, who is going to pay everyone’s bills when they cant work?

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Actually no..

We are learning that "non-susceptible" is a thing. Whether this is through a beautiful immune mechanism like cross immunity, or just general health still needs to be explored.

But, according to the data, 50-80% of the population is straight up non-susceptible without catching this specific pathogen.

As for the numbers, we are testing more than ever which equates to a massive amount of new cases (obviously). The deaths, however, have been on a steady decline for quite some time.

Once we remove nursing home deaths, and locations where the "leaders" did everything in their power to make things worse.. We look at a significantly different situation.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:54 AM
link   

No they're not. That is some spin whipped-up by people desperate to make the Administration look like they know what they're talking about. Nearly all people who die from lung cancer actually die as a result of the pneumonia that develops secondarily.

I'll disagree with you and Scientific American. Our County Coroner is a friend of mine. He's one of several Coroners questioning our State's definition of a Corona virus death. The main reason they are questioning it, is that they are legally responsible for the accuracy of the Death Certificate.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
CDC

Spoken like a true medical professional. There are many kinds of pneumonia and as a secondary infection to cancer, COVID, or COPD a vaccine is useless.

And of course your expert medical knowledge is supported by who again? 😁

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   
OK, but.....

1. If you're over 60 and not extremely well-preserved for your age, just about anything could potentially kill you.

2. The "leadership" and coordination on fighting this in the US has been abysmal. Worse than abysmal. We did not even try to start wearing masks of any kind until it was so far out of control it was pointless. And even after the "experts" finally admitted that wearing masks was probably a good idea, we find that obtaining any kind of mask in the US is practically an exercise in futility because the same people who can't even friggin keep toilet paper on store shelves also can't make enough cheap masks for everyone.

3. Related to #2. Testing capacity in the US has been abysmal from day 1 and is still not all that great. The people in charge lied constantly about testing capacity and the hospitals and medical facilities that should have had the ability to test anyone who wanted to be tested turned pretty much everyone who wasn't already half dead with obvious symptoms away. So if you did get the virus, you'd be lucky if you didn't die from it on the floor in your home after calling the doctors and hospitals and being told you were on your own with this one.

4. Abysmal, abysmal, abysmal, abysmal on every level. There was nothing about the response to this thing in the US that wasn't completely 100% wrong, backwards, careless, apathetic, lazy, stupid, cheap, evasive and dangerous. The entire medical establishment practically evaporated overnight.

You want to know what the US did wrong that caused this thing to be such a disaster here? Everything. Everything. Anything that didn't go horribly wrong was just dumb luck.
edit on 23-6-2020 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join