It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancelled for LIKING/FOLLOWING "controversial" people..

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Is this a new disturbing trend? We are now at the point where people are literally stalking public figures on social media and mining their likes/follows looking for something they can use against them to get them fired. Thankfully us normies don't have to use our real names on twitter but for people that do this just makes the whole of social media even more of a left wing echo chamber. How are conservatives ever going to beat this scam

1. Canadian University board chair forced to resign for liking Trump and Dinesh D'Souza tweets... Specifically related to tweets critical of BLM.

youtu.be...

2. Magic gathering artist blacklisted for following the wrong people.

www.hipstersofthecoast.com...

The slope is slippery and we are going down fast.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 03:23 AM
link   
What is twitter even? *sarc

Free speech is dead

edit on 22-6-2020 by GreenGunther because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 06:30 AM
link   
don't use Twitter.

the more people use it, the more powerful it becomes.

the frailty of capitalism ..

America created Twitter, so how ever they run it now is because the people made it so.

link   
a reply to: twigbaby

You need to put wrong in quotes

You saw this coming when they started against on-line ‘bullying’. That started the in line thought police. Even after you abolish the real police the thought police will get their funding . Looking at you UK

+12 more 
link   

It's known as "Cancel Culture," and it's not just conservatives... any liberals that don't tow the party line will be "cancelled" as well.

Roseanne Barr used to be a good liberal, until she was cancelled for her joke about Valerie Jarrett.

Kanye was a good liberal, until he was cancelled for working with Trump on issues like prison reform and inner city violence.

Sarah Silverman, like so many others, has been cancelled for wearing Blackface at one time.

It's happening to JK Rowling right now for daring to say that "people" who menstruate are women... Well, she's been "cancelled" by some but JK Rowling isn't easily "cancelled."

The list is literally endless...

If you want to read more, this article makes excuses for Cancel Culture: Why we can’t stop fighting about cancel culture

Here's one that argues against it: Dave Rubin slams out-of-control 'cancel culture': 'We're being treated like children'

Here's my favorite though: Those People We Tried to Cancel? They’re All Hanging Out Together

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

The best part about it is that Conservatives tend to not recognize their own ages old cancel culture today.

They both do it. Theyve had power and became authoritarian.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Boadicea

The best part about it is that Conservatives tend to not recognize their own ages old cancel culture today.

They both do it. Theyve had power and became authoritarian.

So very very true!!! Color me embarrassed for not mentioning it myself.

This "cancel culture" happens in personal relationships as well. Nowadays it's called "ghosting" someone... back in the day it was called "freezing them out." Either way, someone says or does the wrong thing -- just has to be one little thing like being friends with the wrong color person -- and you're out of the social circle.

This isn't a conservative example, but remember when Bill Maher was "cancelled" for mocking Clinton's "bravery" for ordering missiles shot from 2,000 miles away? I realized then that if Bill Maher wasn't safe, then no one was safe! I find it more than a little amusing that Maher's replacement -- Jimmy Kimmel -- is now facing the same wrath for wearing Blackface on his show.
edit on 22-6-2020 by Boadicea because: spelling

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

All of these social networking sites were designed by the security state. To collect bulk imformation data about every user, Then sold on to third parties,
edit on 22-6-2020 by 11SK1180 because: Spelling mistake

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Ye, it's pretty ridiculous.

I'm waiting for the push back.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson

You need to put wrong in quotes

Yes. I should have done that and I learned something new. I only have 4 hours to edit the post and can no longer do that. Oopsies.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   

They need to start their own social media sites.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

I'm really tired of this BS line, you're essentially creating an echo chamber and atmosphere filled with ignorance and hate.

Where is the critical minded people, capable of assessing a situation that doesn't call for the removal or harrassment because of social media Netiquette.

Furthermore, those sites breed this kind of thing and a young generation begans to think its normal.

Ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
don't use Twitter.

I didn't use it until recently. Now I follow some local news and whatnot. I am pretty sure the vast majority of accounts are not legitimate. Hopefully parler or something else takes off.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Definitely disagree with this mindset but that is what will happen eventually. Then you will have some friends on leftbook and some on rightbook. Then when people realize how dumb that was they will have to make a connectbook to try to put them back together again. Except by that point people will be so brainwashed from their respective echo chambers that the extremists from both sides would rather all just kill each other.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

I'm really tired of this BS line, you're essentially creating an echo chamber and atmosphere filled with ignorance and hate.

This ^^^.

Where is the critical minded people, capable of assessing a situation that doesn't call for the removal or harrassment because of social media Netiquette.

Furthermore, those sites breed this kind of thing and a young generation begans to think its normal.

Ridiculous.

We see exactly this in threads right here on ATS. I can't even count how many times I've written a thoughtful and reasonable comment to an OP, often substantiated with links, and received no reply. If I go back later, I find the OP responds ONLY to those comments propping up their OP. Any response that doesn't validate and laud the OP's position is ignored.

And, thus, the echo chamber is established! If they just don't acknowledge any other position, then they can easily convince themselves theirs is the ONLY position.

I've authored plenty of threads, and I try to respond to every comment, whether I agree or not. I give pretty much every reply a star as well, just because they took the time and put thought into a response to further the discussion. There are very few comments that I don't star, and only because those comments add nothing positive to the discussion, but instead try to actively detract from the discussion.

On the plus side, I am fortunate that those who do interact with me are often some of the best and brightest on ATS. So what I miss in quantity I make up for in quality!

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   
It's sadly surprising how the only diversity that is now hunted down and eradicated, is diversity of thought.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I can't wait until the start going through my "likes".

Ouch.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Its wrong.

That said...i personally am not stupid enough to like or upvote an opinion I would not be willing to espouse publicly.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The social media companies should have ignored every request of censorship and complaints about anything except violations of federal law.
We can get back to it though after the reelection of president trump. Then the mass arrests of board members and enemy politicians can begin.

Throw out the dem house and reform the online media industry altogether.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Good luck. Its been 4 years...who has been arrested for the 2016 debacle?

Trump is Obama, but with different empty promises of hope and change.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join