It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Anthrax Scare at Pentagon Mail Facilities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
A suspicious substance found at a Pentagon mail facility today has reportedly tested positive for anthrax. The sorting facility was shut down early this afternoon after bio-chem alarms sounded indicating the possible presence of a dangerous substance. Further testing returned a positive result for anthrax; additional tests after that returned negative results. Officials are treating this as a criminal investigation and have not yet definitively ruled the substance benign. The pieces of mail had already been irradiated before reaching the facility, so even if extensive testing shows the presence of anthrax, it would have been rendered harmless before reaching human hands.

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON — A hazardous material found at the Pentagon's mail facility has tested positive for anthrax , U.S. defense officials told FOX News late Monday.

An alarm triggered by sensors detected the presence of a chemical or biological agent at the mail delivery building around 10:30 a.m. EST, a spokesman told reporters in the morning. Officials shut down the facility, which is in a separate structure on the northwest side of the Pentagon grounds. It is to remain closed for at least another day.

About 175 people who work in the Pentagon's mail facility are being offered the option of antibiotics but defense officials said that by late afternoon, no one had experienced any signs or symptoms of exposure.

While subsequent tests on the substance proved negative, the appearance of the agent is now the target of a criminal investigation by the FBI, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local law enforcement. The substance will be further tested at a facility at Ft. Meade, Md.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Pentagon continues to operate as normal; this mail facility is located adjacent to the building and any substance poses no risk to anyone inside the Pentagon.

A second military sorting facility in Falls Church, VA was also shut down when bio-chem alarms were triggered there as well.

Related News Stories:
dod.mil
msnbc.com
cbs5.com

[edit on 14-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Today they re-opened the mail facility in New Jersey that was shut down after having anthrax-laced mail pass through it back in October of 2001. They stripped the facility to the bare walls and replaced just about everything that was inside.

HAMILTON, N.J. Mar 14, 2005 - The New Jersey post office that handled anthrax-laced letters reopened Monday morning, nearly 3 1/2 years after the deadly mailings that further heightened the nation's fears in the weeks after the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

The post office was closed on Oct. 18, 2001, after NBC anchor Tom Brokaw, two U.S. senators and the offices of the New York Post received anthrax-laced letters that went through Hamilton.

In all, the anthrax attacks killed four people across the country and sickened 17. There were five confirmed anthrax infections and two suspected cases in New Jersey, but no fatalities. Investigators have not determined who was responsible for the attacks.

The center was stripped to its bare walls in a renovation with an estimated cost between $80 million and $100 million. All the furniture and mail-sorting equipment was replaced.

LINK

[edit on 3-14-2005 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
"Subsequent tests have proven negative"

Does this not mean that it wasn't anthrax?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Pentagon building on bio-chem alert; 2nd mailroom closed while hazardous materials team investigates

WASHINGTON - Pentagon officials have told NBC News that, as a precautionary measure, a second satellite mail facility that sorts and screens mail for the Pentagon has now been closed. The officials said tests have not uncovered the presence of any chemical agents.

The second facility is on Route 7 in suburban Virginia.

The disclosure of an investigation at a second facility follows the alarm investigated earlier Monday by a hazardous materials team. That alarm was triggered by sensors that detected the presence of chemical or biological agents at the Pentagon's mail delivery building, a military spokesman said.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Great...terrorist just got their next shipment of Anthrax and now here we go all over again, with Tylenol being crushed in packages and leaking, subsequently shutting down post offices for days, as happened in my town. I'm just so sick and tired of terror warnings and terror scares.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Meh, i suppose its been awhile since the last terrorist threat, so to be expected I guess. Can never let the public forget about the threat you see.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Not again! Man, living in Northern Va sure is dangerous! Rt.7? This is all within driving distance of me! I deal with feds all day at work. The more time that passes the more paranoid I become.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
i just saw this on msn news but u beat me to it

o well (i was also beatin out by the gay marrige thing in cali
)

top topics

join