It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favorite author and/or book(s)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Tom Robbins - Still Life With Woodpecker

Christopher Moore - Lamb, Gospel According to Biff, Jesus Christ’s Childhood Friend

The Overstory

World War Z

Kingsolver, Huxley, Emerson, John Saul, Dean R. Koontz, Stephen King, R.L. Stine, Lovecraft, Silverstein, Seuss
Graham Base,

Please continue.

edit on 21-6-2020 by slatesteam because: I like to read

edit on 21-6-2020 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Ender's Game...Orson Scott Card

Anything by Neil Gaiman...esp Neverwhere.

Any James Rollins

Any 30-50's pulp scifi paperbacks I can find.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: slatesteam

Victor Frankl

en.wikipedia.org...
This book changed my life.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I've just woken up (again) so I can't remember names just now, but one that instantly popped into my head was 'Stig of the Dump', I absolutely loved that book as a child

(Note to self, grab a copy for my daughter)

Stig Wiki

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Richard Bach

Easily my choice man.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Mike Crichton, rip you freakishly tall genius.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   
The Illuminati was made a offer they couldn't refuse.
Don't ask me how I know this but the lack of doom latley is caused by a wildcard, someone who the Illuminati did not expect. This person apparently came out of nowhere, he is a nothing a nobody, yet much hangs in the balance because of him, lol that's God for ya.

Everything is delayed until this issue is dealt with, rumor has it around July 4th it could be concluded. Then again it could get dragged on, I truly do not know.

Know this, God takes what man considers to be nothing, and makes him everything. God has done this more than once, and this time so much hangs in the balance. For the people that are not in the loop, well you won't even know something extraordinary happened.

When this issue gets cleared up the doom comes. Then once again God will take what man considers to be nothing, and make him everything.

I asked for people to not ask how i know what I know. I know someone will pester me on how i know such things. Well this is what I can say. I am a bird on a branch and i am looking into the room where the Illuminati meet, that is how i know what i know.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not believe, no explanation is possible

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Brian Lumley and his Necroscope series, I loved that collection, it was a fun read. I'm reading a collection of Penny Dreadfuls at the moment.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
Brian Lumley and his Necroscope series, I loved that collection...

Totally underrated.

I wish his vampires would show up in that sappy Twilight series and rip the mofo'ing heads off of hers.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Isaac Asimov, "I, Robot". I got hooked in the fifth grade. I never was the same after that, couldn't get enough of science fiction. Looking back, I believe scifi should be called science future fact. So much of it that I have read has come into reality just like hand held computers.

Nothing is impossible, Nothing...

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I am particular to Paul Theroux as I so enjoy his take on the places he has traveled. Thomas Pynchon for Mason Dixon, Crying of lot 49. His use of the English language is clever and whimsical, as well as the way he uses history as part of his stories. Of course Hunter Thompson, and Kerouac have to be included as well.
edit on 6/21/2020 by americanbuffalo1 because: spelling error

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   
James P. Blaylock
'Digging Leviathan'; dueling mad scientists race to the center of the Earth in 1970s suburban California.

'Homonculus'; title entity is embroiled with dueling scientists (yes, some similarities) in 19th century London. Lots of great little details; Birdlip's machine, Bill Kraken, factory zombies, etc. followed by the worthy 'Lord Kelvin's Machine'.

among others.

Manly Wade Wellman
Southern folk fantasies. best know for his John the Balladeer works, a collection of stories ('Who Fears the Devil?') and novels ('The Old Gods Awaken, After Dark', 'The Lost and the Lurking', 'The Hanging Stones', 'The Voice of the Mountain'.) one of my faves is the standalone novel 'The Beyonders'.

edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: add pics

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I used to really enjoy Tom Robbins. I'm sure I would still, but it's been a few years since I've picked him up.

I've been enjoying classics recently. Wuthering Heights a few months ago; Treasure Island more recently. Both read to my daughter, a chapter a night.

Honestly it seems like every book I read is my favorite while I'm reading it, then on to the next. The power of a book, eh?

Daphne du Maurier. Jamaica Inn, Rebecca, all those. Really dig 'em.

ETA--What self-respecting ATSer could leave out Hitchhikers Guide?!
edit on 6/21/2020 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   
#1 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
#2 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
#3 Whiskey Galore - Compton Mackenzie
#4 West with the Night - Beryl Markham
#5 Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier
#6 Much Ado About Nothing - Shakespeare
#7 Unreliable Memoirs - Clive James
#8 Anything by Dean Koontz
#9 Anything by James Patterson
#10 Anything about the Tudor period by Alison Weir and Philipa Gregory
#11 The Da Vinci Code, Digital Fortress etc

There are a couple of others but they elude my spaghetti brain atm

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It used to be Brave New World but I'm having second thoughts...

A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul and Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad both books I loved but nowadays would be condemned as colonialist, as was one of my favourite childhood books The Last Pharaoh by John Latimer, which I kept all these years to read to my kids then found myself having to censor things like the n word that I hadn't noticed as a kid myself. Regardless, they were brilliantly written.

Also, liked Breakfast of Champions. Think the biggest eye opener type books were The Golden Bough by James Fraser and the illuminati books by Robert Anton Wilson.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Here's my gift list...

John Steinbeck 'Cannery Row'. Re read the opening pages so many times - the best photograph ever written down. And I still relate to the bit about the Gopher.

Evelyn Waugh - 'Scoop' - allegedly Fox News based thier Corporate plan on this book.

George Orwell - 'Down and Out in Paris and London'. Even poverty seemed much better then than now

String Larsson - 'Girl...' books. All a cracking read, and I thought Sweden was so inoffensive!

Rudyard Kipling - 'Jungle Book' - I've seen the animals in a jungle in India, and the moment a Fruit Bear rolled out if the bushes, that whole book became so real and vivid

Unknown - 'Genesis' - awesome. Makes you think

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   
J R R Tolkien and his trilogy and 'The Hobbit'.

Isaac Asimov about anything

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his series of Sherlock Holmes stories.

Anything HG Wells

you know...... the classics, Fantasy and Sci-Fi

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa

Cannery Row is amazing. I worked in the building with the grouchy bartender and the working ladies. Just a pub now.
But it was a trip to realize I worked in the place he describes so well. Such an amazingly simple novel.
I miss Monterey.

edit on 21-6-2020 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
#12 1984 - George Orwell
#13 Time Machine - H G Wells

Rainbows
Jane

PS....Love this thread! Being my age you forget so many brilliant and influential books one has read!
Thank you!

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Thought of another one, this one's an absolutely belter and it was written by someone I consider a friend,

'Good cop, bad cop', written by a former undercover police officer by the name of Neil Woods.

The book documents his time in the police force, his personal and professional ups and downs, the good times and the horrifically dangerous.

He discusses how he eventually began to realise that his work was only affecting the most vulnerable in society, and his transition into a champion for drug law reform.

He is now on the executive committee of LEAP, Law Enforcement Action Partnership, formerly Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, comprised of former and serving police officers, customs officers, lawyers, judges and politicians, among others.

His work went on to form the basis of many tactics employed today by undercover agents.

Fantastic book, grab a copy if you can,

My badge,

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join