It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant squid washes up on South African beach in rare sighting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I read or was told a long time ago that the Giant Squid (Architeuthis) can not survive in water warmer than 5 degrees C. Their blood is copper based and they end up suffocating in warmer water. One thing I was unaware of is their esophagus runs through their brain !! Learning something new never hurts. This one though not huge at least is relatively intact. I do believe there is a possibility, barring disease, the Squid gets focused on chasing some sort of prey to into shallow or warmer water where it suffocates before it knows it.

A fully intact giant squid washed up on a beach in South Africa earlier this month – a rare sighting for an animal that was only first captured on video in its natural habitat seven years ago.

the squid was about 13 feet long and weighed about 660 pounds, which is actually on the smaller side. Female giant squids can measure 60 feet across, according to Live Science.

The squid’s “esophagus goes through the middle of the brain, so it has to bite pieces of food so that they'll be small enough to squeeze through the brain," he told Live Science.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I think this maybe the same squid, bit of coincidence otherwise as both in south africa

Massive squid on Cape beach

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
That's giant? I thought a squid can get up to 40 feet long...

On a side note, imagine going diving and being eaten by a giant 40 foot squid...?
edit on 21-6-2020 by JoeGee because: (no reason given)

join