It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO projects, the potential end of ATS and priorities

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Personally I would love to see Astros posts picked apart.
That has most probably been the most notable thread on here for years.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Politics, as usual, has poisoned an otherwise awesome open source website for sharing info NOT ASSOCIATED with politics! Dump the blatant mud pit and politically driven forums and focus on your core roots! I would PAY to read and share, IF I didn't have to see Democrats or Republicans doing this or that smeared all over the front home page.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Has anyone discussed scraping ATS and making an offline archive? So many threads here deserve to be preserved, and if they were the discussions could be continued on wherever ats users migrate to (if anywhere).

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothar
Politics, as usual, has poisoned an otherwise awesome open source website for sharing info NOT ASSOCIATED with politics! Dump the blatant mud pit and politically driven forums and focus on your core roots! I would PAY to read and share, IF I didn't have to see Democrats or Republicans doing this or that smeared all over the front home page.
couldn't agree more.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 04:07 AM
link   
If worst comes to worst, would it be possible to create multiple members-only subreddits(to filter topics) on reddit, and have links to archives? At the very least, in the case of shutdown, it'd be a way to keep some of the members together, have a place to download old threads and keep conversation ongoing.
edit on 22-6-2020 by DobRozner because: Typo

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I think a good move is to create a facebook group that acts as a forum to continue ufo discussion, cases and evidence by ats members who were active in the ufo forums here. Could be open but moderated to endure its not a circus and that discussion moves in a civil manner. Its not perfect but it would keep the "team and community" together. There would be some sort of continuity.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: IsaacKoi

I honestly wish there was a way for a book to come out of all this

I understand that there's no possible way a book could make up for the loss of thousands of threads on this topic - both serious and hilarious

Still, it could be amazing. A story within a story within a story - about the story

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Datarealm.com drastically reduced their hosting prices when they went to the "Cloud". At one time, I think that they were offering unlimited bandwidth and data storage for under $200/year. But for something as large as ATS, maybe there is a upper limit to data storage. Anyway, it's worth it to contact them for a quote.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 06:39 AM
link   
They (the owners) should allow people to download the entire history of posts on ATS from the beginning with photos and everything.

I don't see how it costs so much to host this site. Hosting service-wise its prob a few hundred USD a year. Not sure what other costs are involved in the upkeep as long as there are no updates to how the site works.

But you know ATS died a long time ago as far as the people on here and with them not showing posts older than a few days on the 'new' section.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DobRozner

One thing I like about ATS is the graphic format and how some of the things operate. Perhaps the owner would be kind enough to give that code out. He already paid for it. Perhaps somebody can build an improved site with the same-ish format and less advertising and less moderating.

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: IsaacKoi

If it looks like archiving is necessary, I'm sure that (if ATS gives permission) I can sort out creating PDFs of the best threads in the UFO forum (if not all the threads in here). The number of flags could probably be used to find the best or most popular threads.

Hopefully, archiving will not be needed

Salutations Isaac and let's hope your right about that mate - some of the content on specific UFO threads now only exists on ATS due to link source deletion.

It's got quite a few pages but do think this one's a good candidate for potential archiving.

USO Research

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Since Karl is too modest i ll say save any and all threads by karl 12.

Any and all by my good friend in cyberspace The Gut

Any and all by our resident ghost Mirageman

And lastly Jkrog08 may god rest his soul. He is not forgotten

The above peoples threads should be preserved and red regurarly. Apologies if i forgot someone it was unintentional. If it wasnt for ats we would still be listening to LMH and other charlatans. I truly shudder to think what will happen should the unmentioned come to pass
edit on 24-6-2020 by IMSAM because: ffs editing threads every time,unbelievable

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: karl 12
Salutations Isaac and let's hope your right about that mate

While I still hope that archiving ATS threads will be unnecessary, I posted a few days ago in Skeptic Overlord's "Transparency" thread, and now also on Springer's Facebook account, seeking permission to start discussing/experimenting with archiving now since - at least from the outside - archiving ATS material may be more time consuming than some people think.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.facebook.com...

some of the content on specific UFO threads now only exists on ATS due to link source deletion.

Indeed. Plus, some of the material on ATS was original research by members here.

I'd still like to see a few more good threads before any closure of ATS...

It's got quite a few pages but do think this one's a good candidate for potential archiving.
USO Research

Until I get the greenlight from one of the Three Amigos or a moderator, I'd hestitate about really getting started on discussions/experiments to archive ATS material.

However, I've started doing some work behind the scenes.

I'd like to see some of the ATS preserved in various formats, including PDFs.

I've used Adobe Acrobat's create from a webpage option to create a PDF of all pages of a thread - but the results are imperfect.

Just as a temporary measure to illustrate the strengths (e.g. searchable, self-contained, easily created - at least in relation to threads under about 100 ATS pages) and weaknesses (e.g. missing images) of this particular method of archiving threads, I've uploaded two sample threads - one mentioned by you and one mentioned by Macenroe82.
files.afu.se...

When I used Adobe Acrobat to try to download one of MirageMan's threads (over 300 ATS pages), Adobe ran out of memory after about 100 ATS pages (which was, I think, about 1,300 A4 printed/PDF pages). Fortunately, most threads are much smaller.

I've also tried using Winhttrack to download larger threads. Unfortunately, possibly because of problems with my internet link, somewhere between 5% and 10% of ATS pages of that big thread were not download as complete html pages.

I know some of the more technically minded members here are working on other methods of archiving material from ATS.

If permission is granted to at least talk about such experiments openly (and, if ATS goes down, upload such archived material), I'm happy to start a separate thread on archiving efforts.

Also, unless some other ideas come forward in this thread which get reasonably widespread support, I'll post a thread or two of my own on some UFO projects where I think ATS members could make a real impact before any closure of ATS.
edit on 24-6-2020 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-6-2020 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I've been doing something similar with a collection of threads I think are most worth preserving. Creating an offline html database is fairly straightforward with free tools, but little issues pop up here and there in the bigger threads.

As far as winhttrack goes, I've found that updating the already downloaded material irons out some of the missing links and failed pages, but it's definitely pretty tedious. If I can find the time I'm going to cobble together my own wget script (that's all httrack is doing, it just uses an ancient gui and hasn't been updated in years) and if that works out I'll let those interested have it.

Oh, and just a heads up for anyone with a mind to try this on your own.

PLEASE ensure that you're limiting the number of connections (preferably using just one) and your download speed. This process can turn into an inadvertant ddos attack on ATS if done carelessly.

edit on 24-6-2020 by framedragged because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2020 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Politics, as usual, has poisoned an otherwise awesome open source website for sharing info NOT ASSOCIATED with politics!

It's not just politics. It's the blindest kind of docile, dittohead partisan politics that goes against everything ATS stands for.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: framedragged
As far as winhttrack goes, I've found that updating the already downloaded material irons out some of the missing links and failed pages, but it's definitely pretty tedious.

I hadn't thought about running winhttrack again to "update" the incomplete pages generated on the first pass I did. But I'd worry about some of the correctly downloaded material being "updated" with incomplete pages at the same time that the incomplete pages are fixed, i.e. ending up with just a different set of incomplete pages.

If I can find the time I'm going to cobble together my own wget script (that's all httrack is doing, it just uses an ancient gui and hasn't been updated in years) and if that works out I'll let those interested have it.

I'd be interested.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Yeah, not only does updating through httrack redownload everything, it breaks stuff that wasn't broken while fixing some stuff that was broken.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, I think I have the basic wget script necessary for this ready and just need to extend it for a small bit of user input. I've successfully downloaded a pretty big thread (195 pages, Weird California Sighting in the aviation forum) and all the pictures in it. A few of the pictures here and there aren't linking correctly, and some icons are missing, but all of the content successfully downloads and everything but a few pics linked correctly.

It's a pretty simple set of commands and I'll send you a pm when I've extended it for basic user input, but I'll wait until the mods/admins weigh in on this before making it public for now.
edit on 27-6-2020 by framedragged because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Why your post has less than 7 stars is......
Any way, I too believe in what you are saying is true.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
I think a good move is to create a facebook group that acts as a forum to continue ufo discussion, cases and evidence by ats members who were active in the ufo forums here. Could be open but moderated to endure its not a circus and that discussion moves in a civil manner. Its not perfect but it would keep the "team and community" together. There would be some sort of continuity.

Yes, agreed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join