It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Teach Stupid Mars Rovers to Use AI to Avoid Getting Stuck

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

Just get a Delorean and you don't need roads.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Blue Shift, will you be going to another site when ATS has gone, as nowhere is as good for Mars anomalies than on here, not that i found anyway. Pity I/we can't save the anomaly threads.

As for AI on Mars robots, it makes complete sense rather than the slow process of controlling it from Earth.

If the Darpa Dog proves anything, then i think AI is nearly ready and should naturally be the next step in Martian robot evolution and exploration.

Could just put a prodding stick on front of the rover to test for firmness, texture, consistency and solidity. If its too soft, go round it. I'm sure a laser could do the job as well but would use more power.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moohide
Could just put a prodding stick on front of the rover to test for firmness, texture, consistency and solidity. If its too soft, go round it. I'm sure a laser could do the job as well but would use more power.

I always thought that it should have a little evaporator system is get water from the soil which it could then use to moisten some of the rocks it looks at. Any good rock hound knows the best way to investigate an interesting rock is to spot it as something unusual on the ground and then lick it to determine the real color and reflection/refraction qualities. But these things are so expensive per gram to build and fly to Mars it just wouldn't be affordable.

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The rovers just need a bit more oomph, I think, a nice V8 with upgraded suspension to absorb the bumps

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   

to be blunt - an utter waste of time and effort

2 prime reasons :

1 - honesty // integrity of respondants

2 - intelligence // education // experience of respondants

3 - " analysis " of photgraphic images

. members of the general pubic - get stuck in deep mud , quicksands , silt beds , moorland bogs etc with distressing frequency - when the danger is right infront of them .

if you think such people can identify geological structures correctly - from a photo - i has a bridge you need to buy

the task is as much an art as a science - in many instances - i can do it " on the ground " - in many terrains - but i have made mistakes too - none serious - but from a photo - no way - even " textbook structures that are deathtraps - are hard to distinguish - just from one image

sorry - who- ever thought of this is an idiot
edit on 21-6-2020 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join