It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to can cooked (dry) beans in an electric pressure cooker? Canning help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm needing some help, please. I have an instant pot and I've read you are able to can in it with only fruit. I was curious if it would be possible to can cooked beans of any type in the electric pressure cooker. Is it possible to can beans in water bath? Obviously, I have never done this before. I am typically more a fermenter. I've searched for how people use to can beans before the pressure cooker was invented. There must be a way that is safe to accomplish this without a special canning machine. Is there a way to can using the oven? I hate to spend money on a new device if there is another way.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: summer5
I'm needing some help, please. I have an instant pot and I've read you are able to can in it with only fruit. I was curious if it would be possible to can cooked beans of any type in the electric pressure cooker. Is it possible to can beans in water bath? Obviously, I have never done this before. I am typically more a fermenter. I've searched for how people use to can beans before the pressure cooker was invented. There must be a way that is safe to accomplish this without a special canning machine. Is there a way to can using the oven? I hate to spend money on a new device if there is another way.

The instant pot *IS* a pressure cooker.
15.23psi.

Never canned with it but it should work.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: summer5

Pressure cookers have been around for a long long time. It's why canned, anything exists to be honest.

If you're planning on canning regularly and often, a pressure cooker is worth the money.
To answer the beans question, you just up the salt, and add a splash of vinegar for preservative purposes, and pressure cook a bit longer. Water bath beans is tough. I tried it once and they only lasted about two months before they just went off and turned to mush.

My grand father used to can, ferment, store literally everything, he used to keep cooked beans in a clay pot in a salty brine, and it was a water sealed top. He would grab some and just rinse them off and boil them for a bit, rinse again, and just serve with some herbs and olive oil, one of the many things him and his siblings brought over from Italy. He would also keep large amounts of dried beans. He loved beans. But, interesting he never had any canned.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt

originally posted by: summer5

The instant pot *IS* a pressure cooker.
15.23psi.

Never canned with it but it should work.

I read that you can Can with it if it's jam/jellies. My question is what's the difference what you can in it if? I find this very confusing. Someone specifically said that you can not can beans it (I've been reading more since posting my question here). I really want to just try to can in the Instant Pot but I don't want find out down the road it didn't work. That would suck.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

My grand father used to can, ferment, store literally everything, he used to keep cooked beans in a clay pot in a salty brine, and it was a water sealed top. He would grab some and just rinse them off and boil them for a bit, rinse again, and just serve with some herbs and olive oil, one of the many things him and his siblings brought over from Italy. He would also keep large amounts of dried beans. He loved beans. But, interesting he never had any canned.

I am very interested in understanding the cooked beans in the clay pot. How were they kept?...refrigerated? I am looking for preserving for hurricane season and if power goes out the freezer refrigerated stuff wont last all that long.

TextTo answer the beans question, you just up the salt, and add a splash of vinegar for preservative purposes, and pressure cook a bit longer. Water bath beans is tough. I tried it once and they only lasted about two months before they just went off and turned to mush.

THANK YOU for that information! That is very helpful to avoid going through the same

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
"Electric Pressure Cooker"...

Awesome band name... I'll let Andy Dwyer have that one...

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I think my grandfather only did it for convenience, and to save money. beans and legumes are a normal side dish in the med, especially Italy. So having on hand cooked beans was normal.

He would keep a rather large clay pot of cooked beans. The beauty of beans is you can dry them, and they will keep for a long time. If you're looking to preserve it's your best bet, think of it this way. You'll be boiling water either way, beans will stay dried for a while, and spices will keep during harsh seasons like hurricane or winter season.

To answer your main question, he kept his beans in just a dry cold cellar.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I just picked up an instant pot so I’m trying to get all the info I can.

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss

I just picked up an instant pot so I’m trying to get all the info I can.

I love, love LOVE my Instant Pot. It makes great roasts, stews, rice and beans...what ever you cook in a crock pot that you enjoy you can have in a couple of hours or less. If you find any additional info I'm all ears

new topics

top topics

join