It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aunt Jemima

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:13 AM
link   

The world knew her as "Aunt Jemima," but her given name was Nancy Green and she was a true American success story. She was born a slave in 1834 Montgomery County, KY... and became a wealthy superstar in the advertising world, as its first living trademark.

Green was 56-yrs old when she was selected as spokesperson for a new ready-mixed, self-rising pancake flour and made her debut in 1893 at a fair and exposition in Chicago. She demonstrated the pancake mix and served thousands of pancakes... and became an immediate star. She was a good storyteller, her personality was warm and appealing, and her showmanship was exceptional. Her exhibition booth drew so many people that special security personnel were assigned to keep the crowds moving.

Nancy Green was signed to a lifetime contract, traveled on promotional tours all over the country, and was extremely well paid. Her financial freedom and stature as a national spokesperson enabled her to become a leading advocate against poverty and in favor of equal rights for folks in Chicago.

She maintained her job until her death in 1923, at age 89.
Nancy Green was a remarkable woman... and has just been ERASED by a politically correct world.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I wonder if she has descendants and what do they think now.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Nancy Green was a remarkable woman... and has just been ERASED by a politically correct world.

hahahahahaah

I cant believe how much crying is being done over this

Moving from the 1950's to the 2020's is erasing her?
What a joke

Keep with the fake outrage like you give a rats ass

Probably use log cabin anyway

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:33 AM
link   

… Nancy Green was a remarkable woman... and has just been ERASED by a politically correct world lynch mob of upper-middle class apologist white SJW's who don't have anything better to do aside from sipping their Starbucks double espresso caramel frappe' latte while playing video games in their friend's basement home (aka: Mom's basement).

Sorry, I had to fix that.
edit on 6/19/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Granby

we prefer igloos up here... but a log cabin is nice eh

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:38 AM
link   
did you cry in 1968 when the logo changes?

In 1968, she was slimmed down from her previous appearance, depicting a more “svelte” look and wearing a white collar and geometric print “headband” still resembling her previous kerchief

did the tears flow in 1989 when it was changed again?

In 1989, as she marked her 100th anniversary, her image was again updated, with all head-covering removed, revealing wavy, gray-streaked hair and gold-trimmed pearl earrings and replacing her plain white collar with lace. At the time, the revised image was described as a move towards a more “sophisticated” depiction, with Quaker marketing the change as giving her “a more contemporary look” and which remains on the products as of 2020

edit on 19-6-2020 by Granby because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Granby

originally posted by: Akragon

hahahahahaah

I cant believe how much crying is being done over this

Moving from the 1950's to the 2020's is erasing her?
What a joke

Keep with the fake outrage like you give a rats ass

Probably use log cabin anyway

*crickets

Obviously you are one of the clowns trying to erase her.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:45 AM
link   
yeah I was outraged when I was 10...

not so much now... more so by the ridiculous PC movement sweeping the world...

people should have figured out that the colour of someones skin doesn't matter in the least...

but that isn't the world we live in... is it

The only way that issue will ever be solved is when we find out that we're not the only sentient beings in this universe...

until then... We're all F***ed

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

You pay no attention to what they company said.
You have your mind mad up

Anything negative towards or about black people must never change!!!

The entire internet is going to suffer when this site goes dark and you and all the people like you metastasize to other parts of the internet.

Really going to suck

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   

did you cry in 1968 when the logo changes?

In 1968, she was slimmed down from her previous appearance, depicting a more “svelte” look and wearing a white collar and geometric print “headband” still resembling her previous kerchief

did the tears flow in 1989 when it was changed again?

In 1989, as she marked her 100th anniversary, her image was again updated, with all head-covering removed, revealing wavy, gray-streaked hair and gold-trimmed pearl earrings and replacing her plain white collar with lace. At the time, the revised image was described as a move towards a more “sophisticated” depiction, with Quaker marketing the change as giving her “a more contemporary look” and which remains on the products as of 2020

You should be asking those questions to the assholes out there trying to erase her image.
You know the ones I am talking about...the virtue signaling thought police who are destroying sh!t in the streets.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:52 AM
link   

nah.. I just won't need to deal with judgemental pricks anymore

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:54 AM
link   

It's because she had a job and success. Something this fringe part of society cannot identify with....

No, seriously I wonder if anyone on their side sees the irony of blantant racism involved with this?

Things like this will continue until we the people actually stand up and say no more. Be as loud as they are, because it's only going to get worse.

edit on 19-6-2020 by starlitestarbright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 06:55 AM
link   

A great-grandson of “Aunt Jemima” says that his family legacy will be “erased” now that Quaker Foods plans to eliminate the Aunt Jemima brand of pancake mix and syrup.
“This is an injustice for me and my family. This is part of my history, sir,” said Larnell Evans Sr. to Patch.com. “The racism they talk about, using images from slavery, that comes from the other side — white people.”

Lost the source, don't care enough to find it.
Yes, people are crying about this. Or, rather, *A PERSON* is crying about this.
And it made the news of course, because... the news is a joke.

IMO, Who cares?
Aunt whats her face? In my life her name has been prostituted to sell corn syrup as something that isn't corn syrup.
If you've ever tapped a maple tree and made your own syrup, you'd wish this huge corporation would shut the hell up and go back to walmart, where their garbage products belong.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Aunt Jemima Great Grandson
Is his outrage "fake"? Why does everybody else's opinion matter more than his?

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManSizedSquirrel

They are listening to their customer base

not just one person

You people are the biggest babies I have ever come across

Any sort of change that goes against your warped view and you scream erasing history.

Like you really give a # either way

you're just trying to make waves

Companies evolve and change logos all the time
Always have

Yet you cry now

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ManSizedSquirrel

the grandson also said

"After making all that money —and now's the time when black people are saying we want restitution for slavery — they're just going to erase history like it didn't happen? ... They're not going to give us nothing? What gives them the right?"

How many white corporations made all them profits, and didn't give us a dime? I think they should have to look at it.

Evans and a nephew claimed in a 2014 lawsuit seeking $3 billion from Quaker Oats for not paying royalties to Harrington's descendants. The attempt to make Quaker Oats pay restitution in federal court failed.

dolla dolla bill yall

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Obviously there are people right here who are oblivious to the effects things like this have on some people. Her being on the label IS a big deal, it was not only a huge accomplishment for her but the memory it evokes for many of us regarding our own mothers, grandmothers or great-grandmothers (in my case) of a loving, gentle woman who went out of her way to make sure her family was happy. It sounds like this woman did the same her whole life, not just for her family but for many others.

It is sad that so many people are so angry that they would choose to denigrate others who just want to retain some positive history when there is so much wrong with our society right now. The self-righteous SJWs that want to destroy history so there is nothing that could possibly be called offensive, so nobody's feelings get hurt, are a major problem we have now. When there is no history to look back on in the form of statues, writings, etc. the same mistakes will be made again. Over and over until someone puts a stop to them. Again.

Granby, some day this will make sense to you. Hopefully. As far as your comment regarding the possible demise of ATS and that people will scatter and land elsewhere, you're right. I've seen it happen since the first chat room I experienced in 1988 on a BBS. There are sites for nostalgia, social issues, anything you can think of - including sites for people who just want to spew hatred and arrogance. Everyone is welcome somewhere.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Hoping someone would put the puzzle together and point out that she's a real person.

I said in the other thread that you can't take a white woman and paint her face black to please consumers. That's what they did, then they did this crap. *removed because it's offensive and tasteless*

Thank Mrs. Green ( Jemimi )I never wanted pancakes, i wanted that sweet deliciousness in a bottle. Made with love.

I poured it on everything.
edit on 19-6-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   

a reply to: RazorV66

You pay no attention to what they company said.
You have your mind mad up

Anything negative towards or about black people must never change!!!

The entire internet is going to suffer when this site goes dark and you and all the people like you metastasize to other parts of the internet.

Really going to suck

Where did you metastasize from?
When I look at that picture, I don’t see a black woman that is being racially held down...I don’t see her skin color at all.
I just see a woman from a different era that looks like she is genuinely happy with what she is doing at that particular moment in time.
You clowns are trying to make it seem like out of shot in that picture, 20 white people are pointing guns at her to force her to pose for that picture.

In 100-150 years, I have a really good feeling they will be erasing every trace of the thought police uprising from history.
edit on 19-6-2020 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2020 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManSizedSquirrel

They are listening to their customer base

not just one person

You people are the biggest babies I have ever come across

Any sort of change that goes against your warped view and you scream erasing history.

Like you really give a # either way

you're just trying to make waves

Companies evolve and change logos all the time
Always have

Yet you cry now

I'm not crying, I was just making a valid point. Do you always label people you disagree with? How about those ad hominem attacks when someone disagrees with you? I'm just trying to have an adult conversation regarding a former slave and not wanting her to be erased from history because it offends you. I'm sorry if I upset you. Your answer to my question was pretty weak too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join