It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft Identification Help

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hello again, been to bed and then work since I last looked on here;

the first picture is the Sikorsky S-67 Blackhawk, as opposed to the completely different S-70 Black Hawk of 'Black Hawk Down' fame. This aircraft met a tragic end by running out of sky at the 1974 Farnborough air show.

Pic 2 shows the Sikorsky S-69 Advancing Blade RSRA demonstrator after conversion to the X-wing demonstrator.

You are right with pic three, it shows the Kawasaki EC-1 surveillance version.

Pic 4 shows the rather crude basic demonstrator/test rig for the Dornier Do 31 which later became the only true VTOL Jet transport ever to fly.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

The last one is probably the U-2 prototype as Gazrok said...

Just to clarify...never said that's what it was...said it didn't even LOOK anything like the prototype...

I've seen the "MIG 35" pic in reference to it, and while as mentioned, doesn't exist, it's nice to get the exact clarification as mentioned by other posters...

The Lockheed one I got for obvious reasons, hehe....

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The 2nd pic of Round-1 is MiG-1.42 (or as many of u call it MiG-1.44)...it is the 2nd technology demonstrator prototype tested as a fighter jet...1st prototype was used for various experiments like super manuverbility.
The fighter varient is actualy first prototype turned into fighter.

Although both tech demons failed & went back to closet, it has given way to Next Generation MiG fighter which Russia might use a competition towards JSF-35 while MiG maintains that design is of Air Superiority fighter & would compete F-22.

All the good luck to MiG against home land company Sukhio on PAK-FA project

Some of the AirCrafts r that were canceled by USAF & Navy as many took alot of money & time in production...that U-2 type AC was made in competition to U-2 but lost to U-2...It would probably be called U-1 or some thing

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SABRE
.that U-2 type AC was made in competition to U-2 but lost to U-2...It would probably be called U-1 or some thing

To which plane are you referring? I can't see a 'U-2 type' plane so what am I missing?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Pic #17

Plane or missile?

Pic #18

Pic #19

Looks like a VM-T "Atlant" but I'm not positive

Pic #20

Again, millile or aircraft?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
And as an added bonus:

Stealth at it's best!

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Switchblade/Waynos,

I was wondering if it might be worthwhile merging this thread with the Aircraft Quiz thread?

Cheers

BHR

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I agree with that, it turned into virtually an extension of that thread almost immediately anyway

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
1, I can't help with as I know very little of UAV's, though the way aviation is going I think I'd better learn!

2, Now this is more like it, this little glider was an aerodynamic test vehicle designed by the Horten brothers to test out the aerodynamics of the proposed H0 XIIIb jet fighter, although the layout was also applied to a large strategic bomber, the Ho XVIII B-2 it was the fighter that was the 'real' project, This self same layout was appropriated by the British and the Americans after the war and although the inital Gloster P.276 day fighter design looked exactly the same it was massively transformed eventually into what became the Gloster Javelin all weather fighter that served with the RAF from 1956 to 68. In the USA the design was used as the basis for the Convair XF-92 although there was no attempt to put the pilot in the fin with this one! After itself going through something of a metamorphosis it emerged as the F-102 Delta Dagger.

Strange that two so completely different designs as the Javelin and the F-102 can both trace their ancestry back to this glider!!!!

The next one is the Myasischev VM-T converted Bison bomber and the last one is a Russian misdsile that is out of my sphere.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The Russian missle is the TU-123 YASTREB

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Think that the Horton was actually the Lippisch DM-1 Unpowered glider used to test low speeds for the Lippisch P-13a version.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules
Switchblade/Waynos,

I was wondering if it might be worthwhile merging this thread with the Aircraft Quiz thread?

Cheers

BHR

When I forst started this thread I thought about putting it in the Aircraft Quiz Thread instead. But since I have no way of verifying who is right and who is wrong I decided to make a "help" thread instead. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "merging" threads but, no offence to Waynos as you are doing a great job
, I wouldn't mind more help.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
You should listen to ajsr, I got my Lippisch's and Hortens mixed up, the narrative of the post was correct but I confused two similar German projects. Ooops. Thats the trouble with Tetleys Bitter, it addles the brain.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
who can help me re. this one?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
That one is the first prototype of the Jindivik target drone which was built as a piloted aircraft for test purposes and was the first jet aircraft to be designed and built in Australia, my source for this information is 'Jane's All the Worlds Aircraft 1951-52' which includes a photograph of it.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Please tell me that this picture is photoshoped and that it isn't a picture of a B-2 breaking the sound barrier.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
That indeeds looks like the sound barrier is broken, possibly a dive...quite odd...I have seen this pic before and it was speculated this was some electromagnetic system or something in that sense...

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SwitchbladeNGC

Please tell me that this picture is photoshoped and that it isn't a picture of a B-2 breaking the sound barrier.

No, just condensation from humid air being cajoled across pressure variants over the wing surface, same as you can see on commercial aircraft in high humidity at low altitude. It's an odd combination of a lift cloud enhanced by some weak Prandtl-Glauert singularity. The reason for the orb effect is because of the large wing surface with no tail section to disrupt it. Note how the exhaust superheats the air and cuts a neat little path aft through the cloud, creating a boundary layer which effectively demonstrates the various pressure gradients of the opposing surfaces.

Cool stuff, but basic fluid dynamics.

[edit on 17/3/05 by Templarum]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
hai! SwitchbladeNGC
you'd better give us the answer which you showed esp. pic.#17 I really wish to know. everry pic Waynos diven who do can give a correct answer.
what should you do?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by emile
hai! SwitchbladeNGC
you'd better give us the answer which you showed esp. pic.#17 I really wish to know. everry pic Waynos diven who do can give a correct answer.
what should you do?

The reason I started this one and didn't put it in the Aircraft Quiz thread was that I didn't know what they were. Most of them have been identified thanks to other posters, especially waynos.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join