It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft Identification Help

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I am attempting to identify several aircraft that I have accumulated pictures of over the years. Most of them come from one site, Unusual Aviation Pictures, as it has a "Mystery Meat" section. I would appreciate it if people could hepl in the identification. I will only post a few at first, to see what kind of responce I get.

external image

external image

external image

external image
This one looks to be a U-2, but there are some differences. Possibly a variant?

[edit on 12-4-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Second pic is a model of the Chinese J13. It doesnt exist yet, still in development.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The first one looks like a Lockheed Cheyenne helicopter to me...AH-56 I think....

The second is a Mig 35.

[edit on 14-3-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Thanks, that was a lot quicker than I expected. Any thoughts on the last two?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
the top one of the last two was the loser in the competition for the A-10 warthog. I don't know who makes it, but I do remember that it was one of the competitors for the ground attack aircraft contract being offered at the time. Or an early proto for what became the A-10

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I think you're right about that, and I'm blanking on it..

The last one isn't a U-2 or even a variant, not even a TR-1 (U2 prototype..) Never seen it before, but I have some ideas...

Leaving work now, so if nobody gets it by tomorrow, I can likely find it...(my aren't I confident?...hehe...)

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
If I may offer my opinion;

The first pic is the Lockheed Cheyanne, as has been pointed out.

The second pic is not of a model or of the MiG 35 (which doesn't actually exist except as wishful thinking) but is of the MiG I.42 demonstrator, a sort of Russian equivalent of the YF-22 (in purpose not tech) whereas the MiG 35 *should* be the equivalent of the F/A-22A if you see the difference.

The third pic is of the Northrop YA-9 which was indeed the losing competitor in A-X which was won by the Fairchild YA-10.

the final pic has absolutely nothing to do with the U-2 and is in fact the Convair XB-46, a prototype of a four engined medium bomber that may only be one number away from the Boeing B-47 but in reality the chasm between them is vast. Why not try the aircraft picture quiz thread, it may contain some of the others you wish to identify.

[edit on 14-3-2005 by waynos]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Gazrok is right, the helicopter is the Lockheed AH-56A Cheyenne. A very fast critter, but the pusher drove it to a speed where Advancing Blade Stall came in to play (the advancing blade was transonic). The complexity of the airplane was such that the Army terminated it after about 10 prototypes were built, and its role was picked up by the AH-64 in 1975, which, in its latest configuration, is still the first line AH for the Army and a lot of international customers.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sugarlump
the top one of the last two was the loser in the competition for the A-10 warthog. I don't know who makes it, but I do remember that it was one of the competitors for the ground attack aircraft contract being offered at the time. Or an early proto for what became the A-10

Thanks for that information. I was able to determine that it was the Northrop A-9A from the information you gave. Again, thanks.

EDIT:
Wow, while I was posting this there were several replies. Thanks to everyone. I'll try to get some more pics out soon (you guys are great!).

[edit on 3/14/2005 by SwitchbladeNGC]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
1st AH-56 Cheyenne, correct.

2nd is the MiG-I-44 MFI or MiG-35. it was the MiG in C&C Generals in the Chinese side, you might have confused it...

3rd is the A-9 , it's made by northtrop.

The last one is probably the U-2 prototype as Gazrok said...

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
*cough* Is no-one paying attention tonight? *cough*

Originally posted by waynos
If I may offer my opinion;

The first pic is the Lockheed Cheyanne, as has been pointed out.

The second pic is not of a model or of the MiG 35 (which doesn't actually exist except as wishful thinking) but is of the MiG I.42 demonstrator, a sort of Russian equivalent of the YF-22 (in purpose not tech) whereas the MiG 35 *should* be the equivalent of the F/A-22A if you see the difference.

The third pic is of the Northrop YA-9 which was indeed the losing competitor in A-X which was won by the Fairchild YA-10.

the final pic has absolutely nothing to do with the U-2 and is in fact the Convair XB-46, a prototype of a four engined medium bomber that may only be one number away from the Boeing B-47 but in reality the chasm between them is vast. Why not try the aircraft picture quiz thread, it may contain some of the others you wish to identify.

[edit on 14-3-2005 by waynos]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Round 2: numbering pics for ease of reference

Pic #5

Inclined to say it is a Short Sunderland but doesn't quite look the same.

Pic #6

Pic #7

Pic #8

Photoshoped?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
And I thought I was special and smart...BUT WAYNOS BEAT ME TO IT A FEW MINUTES BEFORE ME! ARGH!

MAN YOU POST FAST WAYNOS!

The last picture is the X-31 in a tailless trial...I dunno about the rest...

[edit on 14/3/2005 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SwitchbladeNGC
Round 2: numbering pics for ease of reference

Pic #5

Inclined to say it is a Short Sunderland but doesn't quite look the same.
Not too far wrong, it is a Short/Saro Shetland, considerably bigger than the Sunderland it failed to find a market like so many large boats at the end of the war (Princess, Duchess, Spruce Goose etc)

Pic #6

This is the Sud Aviation Grognard, a ground attack aircraft which fleew in 1950, luckily for France it stayed a prototype

Pic #7

I can't really help here, I know its Russian but I can't remember the name of it

Pic #8

Photoshoped?

This one is the X-31, a joint experimental programme between Rockwell and MBB, it started out with a fin and I heard it had been flown experimentally without it but this is the first time I have seen a picture showing it in that state.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Yeah, like Waynos said...lol...

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Wow waynos, you are good. Let's see how this set turns out. (the trend in this one is helicopters it seems)

Pic #9
external image
Prototype or modified AH-1?

Pic #10

Pic #11

Pic #12

3 to be identified here.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
That first chopper is the Bell 409, also YAH-63, the unsuccessful rival to the Apache.

The second one is Bell H-12, which was an 8-12 seat scaled up Bell 47.

The third one is clearly a mock up for an unfinished project, maybe a development of the Sikorsky Skycrane but certainly very close to the Russian MiL Mi-10 in concept, I cannot put a definite identity to it though.

the last picture shows three Piasecki helicopters;

the airborne one in the background is a H-21 Work Horse, the biggest of the three is a H-16 Transporter while the tiddler in front of that one is a HUP-2 Retriever.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Wow, that was fast. I definately know who to sak in the future. Unfortunately that is all I have at this time. If anyone else is needing identifications feel free to post them.

Again, thanks waynos.
You have eleviated much of my confusion.

If anyone can do a more detailed identification (especially of the ones that were not completely identified such as 11 and 7) please do.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Glad to be of service, in case you hadn't noticed I love this sort of thing.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Pic #13

Looks tight whatever it is.

Pic #14

Pic #15
external image
Almost positive this is a modified Kawasaki C-1, any help with it?

Pic #16

Ummmm.... Not really sure what to say about this.

[edit on 3/15/2005 by SwitchbladeNGC]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join