It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Archive Your Posts

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2020 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: IsaacKoi

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV
if it doesn't work for you then you're on your own.

If your method works, that would be great.

However, there is a difference between an ATS page and a printed/PDF page. Page 1 of an ATS thread could be about 20 to 25 pages long when printed.

I don't think anyone is arguing with you. We all want a method that works properly (and doesn't end up with people thinking they have archived something, when in fact it is incomplete).

Let's just try one specific example that is a few _ATS_ pages long (i.e. considerably longer than 20 or 25 pages when printed).

Let's take Part 1 of the topic you used above, i.e. the thread at the link below (which is 8 _ATS_ pages long):
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've archived the 8 separate _ATS_ pages into a PDF. That PDF (at the link below) is 83 pages long and includes the material from each of the 8 _ATS_ pages (as shown by the pagemarks on the left):
files.afu.se...

Is a PDF of the same thread generated using your method also about 83 pages??

Thank you so much, there is no way i could have explain this better than you did just there. I Hoped my post would be understandable but clearly i was not able to share what i was thinking

posted on Mar, 21 2022 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Bump! Because, you know...

edit on 21-3-2022 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2022 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MindBodySpiritComplex
Bump! Because, you know...

The main problem with you bumping this thread is that - as several people, including me, pointed out above - the advice given in the OP was, um, flawed. (It doesn't work on threads with more than 1 page and may result in people thinking they have archived a thread when in fact they merely have the first small fraction of it...).

Oh well...

By the way, I did ask permission a couple of years ago to create an archive of this website, as I've done with various other UFO websites, discussion forums and numerous UFO publications. I didn't get any response at all to that permission request.

posted on Mar, 21 2022 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: IsaacKoi

True, I forgot about the 1 page limit. If it is just about one's own posts in the thread - you can preselect that before printing to pdf via the green person symbol under the stars in your avatar.

As to not getting a response to your request: don't ask, don't tell?

posted on Mar, 24 2022 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Just a heads up my python code still works, and I am working on writing something very similar to it in Go which can be run within Windows much easier, if there is interest in it I can certainly provide the code, instructions on how to use it and sha1 sums to verify the code's integrity

posted on Mar, 25 2022 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Helig
Just a heads up my python code still works, and I am working on writing something very similar to it in Go which can be run within Windows much easier, if there is interest in it I can certainly provide the code, instructions on how to use it and sha1 sums to verify the code's integrity

I am sure there will be interest in your code. Several long-standing members of ATS are interested in ensuring there is an archive of at least some of the more interesting threads on ATS. (In my personal case, I'm particularly interested in archiving some of the more detailed UFO threads).

After the lack of communication on Twitter, Facebook etc (or, it seems, even with ATS moderators) when ATS was down recently for several days, I'm not sure we can count on the current owner(s) to have archived anything if ATS goes down again - possibly permanently.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join