It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you become a police officer right now

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Not in a minority neighborhood!

twitter.com...

School teacher either.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

My son in law was a police officer in Southfield Michigan , he thought he could make a difference . The people of Southfield treated him like # and the stress just wasn't worth it so he left 2 years ago . Now he works in another business and is a part time oakland county sheriff . All he does for them is patrol the parks in the summer and fall , and he is not sure if he should go back to work in july .

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Current state of affairs doesn’t mean jack. At least it should not in your decision. To properly do the job you must be willing to serve the people. Which means putting others ahead of your self. That is not to say you should self-sacrifice at every opportunity to do so. Running out into a street race and getting ran down is stupid. Staying alive and gathering details to radio to other units is smart. You have the ability to coordinate resources, do it.

That said, you may have to walk into the unknown like a school building with an active shooter watching your approach on cameras and covering your entrance. Time to pull some luck and react with superior training. But it could mean your life. But the time spent engaged with you might be time needed for another officer to arrive. Another student saved because the shooter was distracted by you. Sacrifice for another is generally an acceptable loss to anyone in that position. Especially for a kid.

Riots, defunds, F da Police...that is just extra noise. This first question to answer is can you serve the community. If not, then don’t get into the job.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Well you completely missed the point.

What I was asking was, would you be a cop RIGHT NOW?
When just doing your job could get you killed because your a cop. Not by being in a bad situation but because your a cop.

Or arrested and charged with murder for doing your job. Not to mention being poisoned or beat up or spit on or berated.

We all know the job is inherently dangerous but now it is dangerous because your a cop.

Let me ask you this way, if you wanted to be an electrician and then a good portion of the populace and the people In charge decided that light was evil and started arresting and killing electricians, would you still want to be one?

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I think you missed my point.

If the situation was that everyone walked up to you with a big hug and kiss, bag of donuts and a cup of coffee...that is the wrong reason to be a cop if you are not going to be a public servant. Things are bad now. They have been bad before. They will be better and then bad again.

It is kinda like you don’t become a fireman if you are afraid to walk into a burning building. Or an EMT if you can’t deal with blood.

If only there was a way to hold people to a moral obligation to represent the people as a politician...

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: 10uoutlaw
My son is going to be a college senior, majoring in Law Enforcement. I'm encouraging him to apply to the FBI academy right now, so he can transition right over, after graduating.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Just look up Albuquerque to find out what happens when a police force looses it officers. it all began with our last mayor , and the department of justice. Albuquerque lost about 400 officers, some say more. crime is off the scales here . The current mayor is no better than the last. there is lots of information on google about the Albuquerque Police shortage , why and how, and why its still that way. the current mayor want social workers. lol . We don't even have enough police officers as it is so it getting worse.

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I was LE for 12 years in my hometown in Florida.

I worked patrol, School Resource Officer/Community Policing team, and was also a Field Training Officer.

Community policing was my passion.

Saw the writing on the wall after the Ferguson incident in 2014 and left in 2017.

If anyone couldn't tell by this post (or a few of my other recent ones) it was the best decision of my life.

I will never go back to LE, I would attempt to talk any friends or family out of joining, and I am currently offering my knowledge and experience of transitioning from LE to the corporate world to all of my friends that are currently serving that want to leave.
edit on 19-6-2020 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2020 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I would not now, nor would I ever have considered a job in law enforcement. Military either, for that matter.

Pretty sure that there are many who would have no interest in my current job as well. But there are many who do. Some who would be better at it than I.

A few.

Not many.

edit on 6/19/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   
When the crooks play by the rules and fair!
now if I could be bat man, the dark knight.

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: 10uoutlaw
My son is going to be a college senior, majoring in Law Enforcement. I'm encouraging him to apply to the FBI academy right now, so he can transition right over, after graduating.

If I had a relative wanting to go into LE, I would advise them to seek out a small town or village, a sheriff position in a conservative county, or State highway patrol in a conservative state. These areas would be more likely to support you if you had to use lethal force. FWIW. It would be nice to know your choices weren't: (a) be killed at the hands of a criminal or (b) be killed by the State for refusing (a).

The FBI has some real leadership problems. Fantastic agents, but brother. The leadership....and the control of powerful politicians over that agency.
edit on 20-6-2020 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
I was LE for 12 years in my hometown in Florida.

I worked patrol, School Resource Officer/Community Policing team, and was also a Field Training Officer.

Community policing was my passion.

Saw the writing on the wall after the Ferguson incident in 2014 and left in 2017.

If anyone couldn't tell by this post (or a few of my other recent ones) it was the best decision of my life.

I will never go back to LE, I would attempt to talk any friends or family out of joining, and I am currently offering my knowledge and experience of transitioning from LE to the corporate world to all of my friends that are currently serving that want to leave.

Totally fits what I hear from LE friends and relatives. I'm glad you managed to get out and are happy with the results.

edit on 20-6-2020 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Ah, no. And at this rate, I wouldn't risk helping a perfect stranger laying on the sidewalk bleeding out, either. Between a total lack of respect for LEOs in general for years, and the rate people are getting lawsuit happier, it's best to just leave them to their OWN idea of defenses and see how they like it, and how much they can cry about it. And then see the new & improved end results for crimes. I bet the crying would deafen even a god.

Choose when to play the ass more wisely, people. It's about to get a WHOLE lot more apathetic out there the more hostile it gets toward professions with SJW ire spotlights on them.

Edit: Oh, the question goalposts moved a bit. Hell no, I would not ever encourage my kids or anyone in my family to go the cop route right now. If people could manage to be BOTH more civilized & much less hostile in their interactions with the po-po in the future, maybe, but today? F# NO.
edit on 6/20/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Not a city police officer. I would take a deputy position.

All the problems of the modern idea of "law enforcement" and its "mission creep" in a constitutional Republic, are comming to roost.

The American Republic was not established to have the citizens babysat by the "state" and their "enforcers".

1. I would propose, abolishing city police agencies altogether. Their leaders/officers are political appointees, not elected by the people. Which always creates doubt on where the "loyalty" is.

2. Bring the city agencies under the county Sheriff, who is elected by the people and accountability is with and to the people. The people fire or hire them. Not a political party with an agenda.

3. All under Sheriff's, should also be elected.

4. "Major cities" (pick a number of population) should be a command center, post commander would be an under Sheriff.

5. Bring current city "leo" in and "deputize" them. There's no good reason a city needs it's own "code enforcement". Violating "codes" isn't a "criminal act".

(Regulations, codes and "law" aren't the same things) Which makes one wonder, why does the U.S.P.S. and S.S. Administration need to purchase amunition?... Sorry, got sidetracked.

Get rid of this modern, "progressive" and ignorant idea that American citizens are "civilians". They are citizens! Police are civilians and citizens also. Always have been. Which is a big part of the "police problem".

I

posted on Jun, 20 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Not now not 30 years agaio and I discouraged my 6 boys from law or military and honestly i dont give a darn what any one thinks about that . I was In the navy totally wast of time if it was 1938 I would have joined no draft needed but Hitler was a madman all the POLICE actions from then until now had no motives other then power of one type of another .

As for a cop i could never be a hypocrite No way any cop is busting his mother son friends And every cop knows someone who is guilty of a crime large enough to get prison time also I watched as cops came in sat down with bosses i had over the years and used drugs of one type or another .

No one here would ever be a good cop no such thing No cop bust there own family But go ahead tell us how you woudl bust the person you acre about most for say driving drunk .

top topics

<< 1   >>

join