It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farewell ATS ("Say Something" cover)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I am the type to constantly get ahead of myself. One area this has manifested itself most plainly is in music and songwriting, for I was always in too much of a hurry to write my own "masterpieces" to bother learning from anyone else or their music. I am at an age where I realize that the thing I was running toward led me straight back to the thing I was running from, an irony that can only make you laugh if you've failed in life as many times as I have.

So, recently I wanted to learn and record a cover song as a production exercise and as a sort of inquiry. I chose the song "Say Something", a beautiful and pensive meditation on the acceptance of loss. The song was written by Ian Axel, Chad King, and Mike Campbell, and was a hit for Great Big World several years back. I remember the first time I heard it on the radio. I was going through hard times trying to get my life together and the song touched me deeply. I probably cried. It's the most awesome thing to still be able to cry upon listening to a beautiful song. I wonder how many people do?

In spite of the haste in which this task was executed, I am pleased with the results, not leastly because of technical difficulties and extreme time constraints which beset the recording session. I post this in response to the news of ATS' uncertain future. I don't do soundcloud or bandcamp or any of those. If ATS goes, I probably won't share my musicking and stories with people. So, thanks for stepping in, reading, and listening. (It sounds best loud, I think.)

Goodnight.

edit on 6/18/2020 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Awesome job DOE! Loved this!

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed listening.

*takes a bow

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
*takes a bow

Take another, my Brother!!

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Perfect song for it DOE. Bummed it's coming to this.

I for one will always be thankful for your music talk and kind words of encouragement for my own. I have appreciated your candor and just as with Gordi, both of you made me feel like I was doing something worthy.

And then I had to hear your music which made me wonder if you were just bs ing me lol - (not really, im just not in your class.)

Thanks again brother, keep being your good positive self and keep on cranking out the tunes. This sucks.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Top 'o the middle of the afternoon to you, my good chap.

Listened last night in my headphones, and really enjoyed it.
Should have up-mixed the banjo though... Ha-ha just teasing !

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

You mean mandolin, right?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

Perfect song for it DOE. Bummed it's coming to this.

I for one will always be thankful for your music talk and kind words of encouragement for my own. I have appreciated your candor and just as with Gordi, both of you made me feel like I was doing something worthy.

And then I had to hear your music which made me wonder if you were just bs ing me lol - (not really, im just not in your class.)

Thanks again brother, keep being your good positive self and keep on cranking out the tunes. This sucks.

Don't write yourself off like that. I'm bot BSing you when I say that I've enjoyed everything you've posted, and that I have felt inspired by your creativity. I have enjoyed your company and conversation as well.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

You mean mandolin, right?

You mean persondolin, right?

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Did not see that one coming.

Nothin 1
DoE 0

posted on Jun, 28 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   

BumpyMcBumpenThread!

Absolutely Beautiful Brother!

This is one of my all time favorite songs,I can't believe I missed this when you posted it!

I can really feel the raw emotion in your voice,excellent!

Love it Bro, keep making music man, and keep posting it, Dont give up on us!

Sincerely,
~joe

top topics

join