It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transparency On The Future of ATS

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
ATS has so much collected wisdom , informational threads on every subject imaginable, art, poetry, stories, etc. What a giant shame it would be to lose. I would hope it's pages could be archived in some permanent fashion. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. whatever comes it would be nice to have as much membership involvement as possible. I think many here feel a deep investment and would do what they could to see it continue.

Why wouldn't the pages be archived in some permanent fashion ?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: Hypntick
As others have asked, what are the operating costs annually?

Right now, no one is getting any profit payments, so it's cheap.

But to revive it as a business would require a sustained revenue model to fund infrastructure and code base improvements -- even before we look to alternative revenue methods. In order to afford the necessary expenditures, which would be months-long, we'd need a minimum of $25,000/month. That's not suddenly happening with donations or subscriptions.

And... these are "friends and family" prices from talented developers I've come to know well.

For those in the know... consider the cloud datastore costs for this: our entire content database instance is over 50GB, with an average of 56 queries a second... with more than 3TB of supporting (images) files. What would that cost on AWS?

3TB of images in s3 (depending on GET frequency) should come out to something around 150$/month. I'd imagine youre also paying for cloudflare or cloudfront (possibly both) for caching/proxying.

Do you currently use EC2 instances? On prem box?
What size are your RDS instances? How much bandwith are you moving monthly?

Its very easy to bleed money in AWS, but there are tons of resources out there that will help you in the right direction.

3TB of what I assume are user added resources, might be time to archive (s3 glacier is stupid cheap) or outright start pruning assets

edit on 17-6-2020 by AScrubWhoDied because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I feel sick now... This site and many people on it have seen me through good times and bad. I can honestly say if it weren't for this site I would not be where I am today. I'm trying not to cry.
edit on 6/17/2020 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Yeah ballpark estimates on an instance that would support (my best guess) is in the 4.5k per month range. Not accounting for dev time, security services, etc. Even at a rock bottom price of $5 a month for a subscription model you'd need 50k folks on that.

I hope if nothing else a buyer can be found, however if not some sort of archive would be nice. Then again, we're talking expenses as well, which a donation campaign may in fact fund.

As I said, it's a damn shame.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DoctorBluechip

If there is no money to keep the lights on to post new content, how much money do you think is there to serve up old content?

Or if your car is out of gas, can you drive it to the gas station?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

You can get out and push.
I know this because I've done it.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

But that isn’t driving is it? More of a push and steer. And ATS is more like a double trailer semi than a Mitsubishi Mirage...

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   

My girlfriend was driving. I was pushing.

And it was a Honda Civic.

It was also downhill most of the way.

edit on 6/17/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:20 PM
link   
How about the more conspiracy minded of us set up shop on a different free bulletin board service or something like that? By conspiracy minded I mean *not* politics. Maybe even set up an archive of the best threads in the UFO and paranormal forums?

It’d be a shame to never read Astro’s thread again or the references in the others about the green lady

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I would give up my weekly PEZ refills and cast that money towards ATS
•Stage 1: Shock and denial
•Stage 2: Anger
•Stage 3: Bargaining
•Stage 4: Depression and detachment
•Stage 5: Acceptance
Say it ain't so..............

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Did it too many times in the Ranger alone due to a dead battery to pop the clutch. No wonder I have heart problems years later.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:25 PM
link   

So if look up an old ATS thread right now , you're saying it will cost the business for me to read it ?

And if I do so after closure , Google will still want to charge someone to serve it to me ?
And if you don't pay , I don't get to read th content ?

What you're saying is that everything created here will be wiped into darkness because there is no money , but to pay who ?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Well damn.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Dammit. Y'all have no idea how bad I am at making friends. I don't wanna start over again from scratch.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

4k for a db instance? Where the hell is that and how are they still in business

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:37 PM
link   

So it doesn't get lost ...
Who do you have to pay to serve up old content ??

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Some sort of internet archive ? maybe ? en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:51 PM
link   

edit on 17-6-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join