It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transparency On The Future of ATS

page: 56
<< 53  54  55    57  58  59 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 11:42 PM
link   

(post by InTheLight removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Are you going to announce the specific date when ATS will be shut down?

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Case74282
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Are you going to announce the specific date when ATS will be shut down?

I hope so, soon so we can have a going away party.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Adreamunfulfilled

I just want to respond to my post. The member InTheLight accussed the Religious Forums webiste I linked in my post as being a "white only group."

I posted a question asking if that accusation was true and was affirmed that it is a lie. I hope this is not deleted as off-topic so that the misinformation InTheLight gave is corrected.

Here is in part an answer to my question which was simple: Is this website a "white only group" as was accused:

No, there's a wide variety of ethnicities here. In fact, this forum seems pretty proud of its multiculturalism.

I don't know why this user would spread such a defamatory rumor. I wonder how many other organizations they have unfairly tainted the reputation of, either out of malice or because they just don't care about who they're harming.

Source

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 12:43 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 12:48 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 12:49 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 12:52 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 12:53 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I first ran across ATS sometime around 2007, while following one of those “generally weird” topics. What a sense of wonder and surprise that a website like ATS even existed! Although I didn’t actually join until 2013, I was proud to be a lurker. A very important (at least to me) thing about ATS is how members don’t let you get away with using crappy resources. We are always reminded to use original sources, not hearsay, and to provide links whenever possible. Now there is a huge worry about where all the research and massive information files will go. If nothing else, can that part of ATS be saved and parked somewhere accessible to those of us who care?

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: DoctorBluechip

If there is no money to keep the lights on to post new content, how much money do you think is there to serve up old content?

Or if your car is out of gas, can you drive it to the gas station?

There is a lot of reposts on the same topic millions of times anyways.

Seems like it would just be best to keep posting data for a certain period of time. The board is not all that apt to being able to search a lot of that stuff anyways as you'll likely have to go through miles of lines of threads to find what you're looking for other than something more recent.

This might have been thought of... What about local storage? The only thing you would need to pay monthly for is the bandwidth to support the traffic.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

A better question for Bill than me. But a good question.

I have wondered what happened once Starlink is up as a nearly universal ISP to the old territorial ISP model and server farms that host websites versus moving back to the home server model like the old days. And yes, there was a time (years ago) that ATS was housed at SO’s house...

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: StallionDuck

A better question for Bill than me. But a good question.

I have wondered what happened once Starlink is up as a nearly universal ISP to the old territorial ISP model and server farms that host websites versus moving back to the home server model like the old days. And yes, there was a time (years ago) that ATS was housed at SO’s house...

The hardest part is keeping the traffic open. I haven't run a forum on my local machine since the late 90s. I have run some game servers off and on and I know it'll often require some pretty decent hardware and a really good connection as well as a lot of bandwidth to hold any kind of reasonable traffic. Today, that's not so far fetched as it was years ago when a T1 or T3 connection was crazy expensive. I once worked for a dial up as the administrator, having to watch over the use of bandwidth and to kick paying customers offline when they spent too much time online during peak hours to make sure that everyone else could get a decent speed out of the connection they were on.

It'll have cost, yes. Though I don't think it'll be unmanageable.

Granted... This is only the absolute minimal with no one getting paid to help maintain the forums. It could still be pricey overall but 25k seems a bit over prices by a lot. But with all that's involved now, yes... I can see that but I really don't feel that all of what's involved is needed to continue forward. It's just hording data that doesn't get used.

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Byrd my friend, long time no see. Wish it was in better circumstances. I hope you're well?

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Alright.

I didn't want to do this, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I will post only tasteful nudes of myself for 10,000.00 a peek.

SO, you can thank me later.

I have to find a way to take my socks off now. . . . . .

(Sorry, just wanted to lighten the mood a bit)

You posting about a "tasteful" nude of yourself just made the thread dark and... somehow disheartening.

I, on the other hand, will pay $10 a month to have an adult section where I can show off my girls.

PM's still work.

The Mods sometimes go through them.

No, neither the Mods, Admins, nor Owners go through member PMs. This has never been a thing for my 11 years as a Mod here.

Sorry... it is in the Terms and Conditions so I thought it was a real thing.

Since it is not according to you and ATS might go away soon I'm going to go on a PM frenzy on the stuff I thought I could not do.

Include me please.

Harte

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I wish i was a bit younger and not so close to death and understood all this wizardry about computers .servers coding etc etc .

What would a new mark 2 site cost to host 10-20-30 GB ram and storage 30-40gb or a few TBS ,cheap and reliable hosting all that stuff ..

But no ads , all that is possible plus leasing the old data base from the old owners and paying a small fee for access for writers.scholars.researchers etc and a ssl certificate would be a must , maybe a non profit making venture or just enough to pay the bills etc .

I know i did voice the same question about what happens to the data and research collected from some really great members here over the years , they ones i could spend days reading their threads and seeing their well laid out thoughts and research , i would hate to see all that vanish in a instant

www.youtube.com...

edit on 23/6/2020 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   

edit on 09 11 2015 by MaxTamesSiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I agree with you, I think it's an excellent idea!! As you can see I'm very new but would gladly pay (and do pay for other sites with content deemed "offensive" to others) to be able to use this site. I'm certain that many would and this "problem" can be solved easily. He could even make different "levels" if he didn't like the idea of banning ad blockers. I know some sites have found ways to force you to allow a few ads, I'd rather just pay up and skip it!!

posted on Jun, 23 2020 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Off in the distance, there is a group of people trying to preserve the faith and culture of ATS...all of ATS. They are dedicated, and they are feverishly giving everything to make so many wishes here come true. It is not easy, and it is a big undertaking, but they all have generous intent, honorable hearts and creative minds.

With hope and help, the effort will succeed, but in the unlikely event it does not, trust it was a valiant and noble attempt. One where no stone was left unturned, all considerations were contemplated, and all avenues explored.

The spirit of ATS lives on!

new topics

top topics

<< 53  54  55    57  58  59 >>

join