It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transparency On The Future of ATS

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 10:54 PM
link   
www.patreon.com...

massivelyop.com... is a site funded by patreon.
edit on 18-6-2020 by rounda because: info

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Well, I guess now is the time to thank Bill, Mark and the amazing membership here for the many years of entertainment, education, and companionship.

I'm disappointed to see this. But nothing stays the same forever.

Until the last day, you have my support, admiration and respect for creating a truly remarkable place on the internet.

Godspeed to you all.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
a reply to: Riffrafter

I wasn't even really suggesting making it "for profit." You could easily structure it to be a not-for-profit. I was mostly saying that you need a legal entity in order to enter into a contract. That's much easier (and smarter) to do by setting up an LLC or S Corp.

yes, the site is for sale...and they had a buyer who had to back out due to unforeseen circumstances. Now he is looking for a new buyer.

I understand.

I own 2 LLC's. One handles the day to day contracts and billing for my IT consulting work, the other handles everything that falls outside of the umbrella of the first as well as being a "place" where I can try new ideas.

I think it costs me less than $250 to set them up - and that was using an attorney.

It appears that there are interested parties here that would like to do this and have or can get the cash to make it happen. Monthly operating costs are a pittance in this equation. It's the upfront cost to buy the business and its assets that is still a public unknown, unless I missed a post somewhere.

I hope someone buys it and keeps it going. I've been coming here every day for the past 12 years or so...and it would be missed.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: Bigburgh

What would such a venture even look like? I have about $75,000 in disposable income and could probably get financing for double that amount. Say $200 even on the safe side. Not nearly enough alone. I'd be willing to enter such a venture

Down the rabbit hole

*Sites like ATS matter and are crucial to maintain meaningful ways to express free apeech

This may have been mentioned before, but from what I was able to find-
ATS is valued at ~1.3 million, with revenue of about 300k per year.

Assuming the upgrades asked for are needed, 2-3 million will need to be raised to buy, sustain, and improve the site. It will take about 10 years to see a return on the investment, assuming the revenue is correct and it sustains at the same level.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:30 PM
link   
We have 36 pages of posts and nobody has touched on what the owners want for it, I am sure it could be obtained for a reasonable price. I mean are we talking 30K or 250K, throw us a ball bark number. I just don't want somebody to buy it and shut it down, that would be pathetic.

Edit:
^^^^^Posted after the post above me, interesting.
edit on 18-6-2020 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Yea pretty much, I would be advertising an asking price, no better place than on the forum. I am curious to see how many are serious about buying them out, I might have some interest but I also don’t want to throw money away either, no disrespect to ANYONE but I will feed children, before investing LARGE sums of money into oblivion. need a thought out plan etc. need lawyers investors etc.ats will need new architecture soon as well.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

What would such a venture even look like? I have about $75,000 in disposable income and could probably get financing for double that amount. Say $200 even on the safe side. Not nearly enough alone. I'd be willing to enter such a venture

Down the rabbit hole

*Sites like ATS matter and are crucial to maintain meaningful ways to express free apeech

Assuming the upgrades asked for are needed, 2-3 million will need to be raised to buy, sustain, and improve the site. It will take about 10 years to see a return on the investment, assuming the revenue is correct and it sustains at the same level.

Is there a listing of ATS assets with that 1.3M?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

My name really is Beth and my stepsons' call me
mamabeth!

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

I am talking to Gypsy and a few others to see if a group of investors could come up with the cash. If they could match me, we'd probably have enough to make a reasonable offer I know I am nowhere near over the mark alone or I'd wire the money tommorow

I suspect it would be in the millions as you say random
Even if I were to cash in my lockheed stock and take the decent gains I'd still only be in the 250k-300k range alone. Could talk to a loan officer, but they usually want to know a solid business plan and model and how they will get their money back instead of just something near & dear. Although I personally couldn't put a price on ATS as far as our shared history and value to each of us goes, I expect the owners won't want to put too much in stone as they may undercut themselves in doing so

Im even reaching out to a VC I know to see where this stands

I also suspect ATS has a good deal of technical talent, dont know what that would look like but could help allay repeating expenses

I suppose it all comes down to how much do we care about ATS and what will we do to save her. My personal answer is "whatever it takes" but alone that isn't enough. Maybe many of us are finding this out the hard way today but my fingers are crossed and praying for a miracle

I'll do whatever I can on this end though

Funny thing is I talked to Mrs. Burns about this earlier and her only stipulation was I can't borrow on the house. No problem. Even considering putting my NFA RDIAS up for sale, that's a cool $20k for what I consider a novelty at best
edit on 6/18/2020 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:49 PM
link   
THIS has ATS valued at

Estimated Worth
$ 10,182
Last updated on 19th June 2020 04:45:37 AM

www.getwebprice.org...

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:49 PM
link   

It could be contractually agreed that certain changes wouldn't be made except under XYZ circumstance.

When the alternative is death, anything that involves "still alive" looks pretty attractive

Could even purge existing passwords/emails and force users to change them/add them or something like that for privacy purposes. There stored as hashes, but I think the old way was md5 which is not very safe these days

Actually, when I joined you could join just by signing up with your email. I asked a mod recently about creating a new user name for privacy reasons and I was told the only way to do it was to have my current account deactivated and to join with a new account. The catch was (I was told) that opening a new account here now requires a Facebook account. And that is why I didn't do it. I'm not joining Facebook just so I can post here. I have gone this long without Facebook (I don't need it, don't want it and don't trust Facebook) and I'm not going to change that now.

So I would not be in favor of being forced to change my password that has been perfectly fine since 2013. Especially if that involves more than an email.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:52 PM
link   
MORE ATS Market info:
www.alexa.com...

link   

Ah I got ya, was not even aware of that I signed up with my email too

I apologize for my ignorance there

link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

My name really is Beth and my stepsons' call me
mamabeth!

LOL

(Beth is a nice name by the way)

I'm sure you get the point though. Most people are not comfortable putting their real name on a forum like this (or anywhere where they share controversial opinions, really). Some people don't seem to mind but it's most definitely not a good idea for a whole host of reasons. Most of which consist of human nature being what it is.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   
What about a MARKETPLACE with a commissioned shopping cart?

I give Amazon a stupid amount of money every year for selling in their channel... why not allow simple "non-ads" advertising products for sale in an ATS Marketplace?

Something like that. Or straight affiliate program links as a revenue generator for ATS

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Then JBurns can take ownership immediately, he seems really serious about buying it.
Saying it is worth millions is a joke, it isn't. He would be willing to pay 10 times what it's worth and the owners should take it and run if they want out .

He has been here since 2005 and has over 10K post I would rather it be in the hands of a veteran poster, than somebody we don't know.
edit on 19-6-2020 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay
I don't spend that much time online these days. Only visited reddit a few times here and there in the last 15 years. But politics seems to be a popular pastime for many, so is there any surprise? But maybe the magic is gone, and its time to move on, which many have done it seems. Nothing lasts forever right?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Down the rabbit hole

Is that 1.3M the value of ATS or it's parent company The Above Network LLC?
www.theabovenetwork.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

LOL @ www.getwebprice.org...

Add the two together and round it up .... 11K total
edit on 19-6-2020 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2020 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay

What the hell you were bullied? Online? And by a dude named Bob of all things?

That has got to be the strangest thing I heard on ATS in a long while. Anyways BoneSay, i know your kind of maybe possibly bedridden and likely spend way more time online then me. But you kind of got to get over your cyber-bullying. Everybody knows bobs are assholes and duches. The only ones more of a douches are the Chands. Never met a Chad that wast a duche even in an online moniker font.

new topics

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join