It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transparency On The Future of ATS

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: JBurns

A MONTH?????

Seriously???

Yeah ... I know. Right?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
a reply to: InTheLight

It really pays to read comments someone says prior to comment. It is also easier to properly quote a reply because HAD you done that you would understand my comment.

$20/ MONTH

What if I transcended beyond your comment, and you didn't get it?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Djarums
Just a note... I have no idea who made the abovetopsecret subreddit.

It isn't run by us, wasn't founded by us and we have no affiliation with it at all.

DJJJJJJJ! Hey when did your profile pic change?!

ATS is part of my life. It can never end! You know how I am.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: More1ThanAny1
I could probably get ATS running on AWS for under $5k a month, probably less.

By my estimate as well. 20K extra per month. Somebody has deep pocket needs.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
a reply to: InTheLight
I wasn't attacking you, but simply pointing out that if you don't like ATS in its current incarnation and would require your own 'conditions' to consider donating to keep it up, then perhaps there are other venues you could go to that are more in line with whatever your conditions may be.

I didn't call you out for attacking me, an ATS moderator did that. Rethink my conditions...it starts with respect.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
chatting is one thing,
archiving is another.

The main feature of ATS are the users who will write well researched long form post.
Unfortunately I am not one of them.

If the musings here on ATS can be somehow be preserved, it will be a great resource for archaeologists and psychologists of the future.

edit on 0000006075467America/Chicago18 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

(post by intelligenthoodlum33 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DoctorBluechip
a reply to: Plotus

Already got to that , so thee question might be better put , who do you have to pay not to archive the content ?
Or even who pays you not to have it archived

It's not about paying or not paying anyone. To make it simple :

Anything you see on the Internet is hosted somewhere - on a computer. When that computer is turned off, it can't serve - but to have it running you need to pay for electricity. Then you need to pay for an Internet connection that's big enough for everyone to access the computer you're hosting on...

There is no 'archive'. When a site goes dark it's because it is physically not hosted.

If you want to serve old content, you have to find a way to host it - end of. If the electricity bill isn't getting paid, then it goes dark.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: More1ThanAny1
I could probably get ATS running on AWS for under $5k a month, probably less.

By my estimate as well. 20K extra per month. Somebody has deep pocket needs.

If you read what he said:
SkepticOverlord

But to revive it as a business would require a sustained revenue model to fund infrastructure and code base improvements -- even before we look to alternative revenue methods. In order to afford the necessary expenditures, which would be months-long, we'd need a minimum of $25,000/month. That's not suddenly happening with donations or subscriptions.

So the 25k is for redoing the code, and keeping the site up and running.

If the money can be gathered together a rewriting of the code will be needed, but after that the costs should go down. Though the point of no return is that any money put into the site at this point by a "Venture Capitalist" would be a heavy loss since coming up with a new business model is now needed given the explosive era we find our selves in. I'm sure if somebody wanted to they could get the money together to save the site, but they would have to present this as a long term investment and not a quick money machine.

This is a head scratcher; How do you save a site where most things discussed have caused riots as of lately? Sadly the truth is that there are people that could easily dump loads of money into sites like this one, but since ATS promotes free thinkers those same people might be afraid to do so. Too many have given away their ability of free thinking in exchange for a false promise of free speech. ATS is the closest any of us will ever get to the classical Roman Forum where people can openly discuss that which would be questionable elsewhere.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Well , All Good Things Must Come to an End Sometimes . Good Luck !

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Well Mr. Owner, do you think you have enough members willing to contribute to get rid ads? One member is willing too give $2000, how far will that go with other member's funds? Fantasy will set you free.

edit on 16CDT08America/Chicago12080830 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Man,
Just think about the loss, of just one members contributions. I was thinking about a certain member, that has contributed to the UFO forum. Mr. Koi.

Just that loss alone has me weeping. All that hard work.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I am still getting ads on the side, top and bottom when logged in.
Nothing too bothersome.
Aren't those generating revenue?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Man,
Just think about the loss, of just one members contributions. I was thinking about a certain member, that has contributed to the UFO forum. Mr. Koi.

Just that loss alone has me weeping. All that hard work.

Yet, I have been here for a while a never met him or her. And I am a big UFO buff. Hard work is for him not for you.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:27 PM
link   
If this site might disappear, and for years the political threads have dominated the forum, that means those political threads never did any good to the website?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I don’t know the costs of such things....but either of y’all include some serious front end DDoS mitigation? Oh and extra security for the pissed off script kiddies that got popped with an OT or a duplicate topic thread deletion. As I understand it, such things are pretty commonplace around here...
edit on 18-6-2020 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I am so sorry about all this. I have been visiting ATS for some time now and I truly love this site. This site literally has it all and still holds true on what this country was built around, and that is free speech and meeting of some really intelligent minds.

I know this obviously doesn't help but if I had serious money like hitting the lottery serious money lol I would give you as much money as you needed plus some no strings attached as long as this site remained the same. I know I sound like a narcissist by typing that sorry. Lastly, not trying to speak for others but if there is anything I / we can do we here on ATS I am sure will do whatever we can.

Thank you, and will be sending Prayers towards ATS's way.

edit on 18-6-2020 by Elmax227 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-6-2020 by Elmax227 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

That was an in-joke.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
Has anyone set up a GoFundMe page yet? While not viable in the long run, perhaps we could raise enough money to at least keep the site running until either circumstances are better or a preferable alternative is found.

Yes, if anyone really cares about ATS the gofundme page will reveal the truth, but I have conditions...will they be met on a that venue?

I'm confused.

You set up an ATS GoFundMe page for ATS?

What truth? Or at least truth about what?

What venue? Current ATS leadership or a new ownership ATS?

Thanks in advance.

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join