It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transparency On The Future of ATS

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Sad news indeed.

I've used ATS on and off for a few years. For all its mundane, BS topics, it also has a range of very informative stuff. There are also many gems to be found, the type you won't find anywhere else. I agree that it has been overloaded with politics and vile bickering, but it's still been a place for free discussion. It is my go to news source in certain cases since happenings often hit here first before the press gets wind of it.

I'm willing to donate/subscribe if that is the route that gets decided.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

I would be willing to pay ATS $10.00 per month.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Buried on page 28 I don't know that this will be read or even considered if it is but I saw a fundraising idea mentioned many pages back that I think is a fantastic idea. Archive the entire site to a bluray set that could be installed at home and used for reference.

I realise there is an inherent cost to this and may not be viable due to the 3+TB of data but I would be willing and happy to purchase something like that. There is so much good information here with so many links to various sites and studies et. that I would love to have for reference. My only real suggestion would be to beef up the search feature of the archive.

Whether this would generate enough to keep ATS afloat for a while, I don't know (likely not). But. If ATS is to go into the dark, it would be great to have this amazing resource available and could help recover some of the costs of running this site over the years.

Whatever the outcome and despite the changes that have taken place here, thanks so much for putting ATS together in the first place and keeping us thinking, debating and entertained for all these years.

Just my two cents (and here in Canada where we have done away with the penny, that amounts to $0.00 when rounded)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I want to complain

what's the point of people making threads or doing research which furthers mutual understandings and learnings devoid of bias for the good of humanity creating pages that others might have used in reference at ANY TIME in the future when NONE of it is going to be archived in the web for anyone else ?

Some of these jokers and dippy hippies might not give any monkeys about this ,

But decent people think this is a travesty and a rip off for TAN to just walk off with all these peoples work with the copyright and without giving it over to archivists . They don't need paying to copy the material , in fact they want to archive it .
Yeah it's on the t and c s , you own this and that , copyrighted blah blah and blah again.
But it's like a crime against humanity to remove completely the free and open thought and indeed the very HISTORY as seen through OUR EYES of the post millenium era , as it will be known to researchers in 50 , 100 , 200 years time . ... 300

...AD NAUSEAM

It's not about the site being currently unsustainable this thread should be about our work and thoughts not be erased from other people s sight should it come to the ATS servers being turned off , just for sake of copyrighted material .

If you want to call this transparency about the future then BE TRANSPARENT please

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   
If SO truly isn't interested in continuing the site....then to any potential new owners, I too will pay $10 monthly to keep my beloved ATS.
You made me cry, by the way....hope you're happy.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Hey brother it aint over til its over

Working with a few other people right now to figure something out. PM me if you want to get in on it

We have to fight for our home then we fight for our home. Even if its our second home. Or third. All that matters is what we do from here on out

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DoctorBluechip
I want to complain

what's the point of people making threads or doing research which furthers mutual understandings and learnings devoid of bias for the good of humanity creating pages that others might have used in reference at ANY TIME in the future when NONE of it is going to be archived in the web for anyone else ?

But decent people think this is a travesty and a rip off for TAN to just walk off with all these peoples work with the copyright and without giving it over to archivists . They don't need paying to copy the material , in fact they want to archive it .
Yeah it's on the t and c s , you own this and that , copyrighted blah blah and blah again.
But it's like a crime against humanity to remove completely the free and open thought and indeed the very HISTORY as seen through OUR EYES of the post millenium era , as it will be known to researchers in 50 , 100 , 200 years time . ... 300

...AD NAUSEAM

It's not about the site being currently unsustainable this thread should be about our work and thoughts not be erased from other people s sight should it come to the ATS servers being turned off , just for sake of copyrighted material .

If you want to call this transparency about the future then BE TRANSPARENT please

How to archive your posts

It's not a perfect solution, but you can save your work. It just takes a little effort on your part.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Is there any more sh#tty news 2020 going to bring us

Hindsight is 20/20

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Change your business model to a paid membership with boards that are only available for paid members.

Keep the ones now available free with ad revenue and for God's sake, change your site so that you can't view with an ad blocker.

That isn't hard to do.

That being said,I would pay $10 a month for the subscription all day long.

That's the same as Netflix for me... which I use like 5 times a year.

I'd probably pay double that for keeping ATS going.

Just a thought.

Nah, I have no sympathy here; ATS used to be awesome, didn't require running ad blockers. But here is the deal, they got greedy and jam stuffed the site with ads, and not just annoying ads, but ones that make the site unusable without Ad-Blockers.

I try to browse ATS on my phone, and 4 seconds into reading an article, I'm redirected to a "Spin the wheel to win $10,000 cash!" ad, and I can't even hit back; because if you hit back, it instantly redirects.

I used to read ATS on my phone, now it's impossible -- I used to not run ad blockers on PC, but now it's impossible.

This has absolutely nothing to do with "Advertisers not wanting to post ad's on sites with comments" and everything to do with them trying to squeeze as much money out of this site as possible, and that extended to using malicious ads, which resulted in people using ad blockers.

See the pattern, and now they are threatening to shut down ATS if we don't pay them too....

Let's just be real, message boards don't cost hardly anything to run. Their just upset that they aren't making the profit they used to before the ad-blockers were forced upon us to even use the website. If ATS goes under, a new one will pop up overnight, it'll probably still be named accordingly and designed similarly.

I would never pay a penny to use a message board, I mean we could just bounce over to reddit, and just make sub reddits for the different forums for free.99; and have a better message board to do it on.

Sorry skeptic, this isn't "our fault" -- it's yours; don't blame the users of the site who had to resort to running ad blockers just to avoid the malware ads you dropped all over your own site.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: face23785

Hey brother it aint over til its over

Working with a few other people right now to figure something out. PM me if you want to get in on it

We have to fight for our home then we fight for our home. Even if its our second home. Or third. All that matters is what we do from here on out

I wish i had a job so i could help cash wise....-_-

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   

But this was always foreseeable for anyone who thought through the question of keeping their work permanent. Common sense said that sites disappear, and when they disappear their content disappears. The mantra "What's on the internet stays on the internet" is a warning intended for those who don't want stuff to be there, not a promise for those who really want it to stay.

That's why my old threads are on memory disc. They can be republished in a form which might be more permanent.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

HEy isnt there a site that archives websites...i seem to remember something about that. Ah wayback machine.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

A MONTH?????

Seriously???

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Admittedly, I hardly ever login anymore, just got burnt out of all social media to be honest, but I still lurk pretty regularly and often. That being said, ATS has always been the fallback in my mind if I ever wanted to jump back in.

This site is legendary in my mind and still resonates that quality vibe from the golden era of the internet when thoughts were more freely shared and explored together. The community here on ATS really lives up to being just that, a community. Even through the worst spits and spats, the optimistic 'agree to disagree' atmosphere cultured by this community has always won out.

Being a part of ATS has meant a great deal to me and I really hope through whatever changes are coming, the legendary aura of this site continues on.
edit on 18-6-2020 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: JBurns

A MONTH?????

Seriously???

I would,
just to hear you gripe about the Colorado range. Or recipes, you mean that much.
edit on 18-6-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

I want to complain

...AD NAUSEAM

How to archive your posts

It's not a perfect solution, but you can save your work. It just takes a little effort on your part.

There doesn't seem to be a reason why it shouldn't all be archived , for all to see and when they're asked about copyright or the parent company they clam up ..

What we re being told , or not and asked for donations or suggested we buy things could be pure fraud . This might be alphabets on the process ofdisentangling and breaking up networks before God knows what happens , for all the transparency there's not

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen88
The forum originally was about aliens, paranormal stuff, and conspiracies, and not so much a political jerk off fest.

Not going to lying, I've been a jerk/troll too multiple times.

Is that just the product of this being an American website and Americans have just turned political?

I'm not an American, and Ive pretty much been travelling around the world for the past 7 years before the corona virus put an end to it.

Every single Hostel I've been too, whether Im in Japan or Serbia, if there is an American around, you just know the coversation is going to turn into politics and it's always an American who starts it, this change happened when Trump got in.

Every-single-time.

I don't think ATS are to blame for this cultural shift

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Many more ways to help yuppa!!

The fact ATS still has pulse means we arent beaten. Ideas matter just as much as money

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Huh????

Don't understand.

ETA - Oh, I think you misunderstood my post. I was asking JBurns if his quoted $25k figure to operate ATS was per month. I think you thought I was referring to a membership fee which I have no issues with. However, it would take 2,500 members at $10/month to break even. Might be possible.

edit on 6/18/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Would moving to discord work ? I would miss the crazy chit chat with (sometimes) like minded folk.

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join