It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transparency On The Future of ATS

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   
So a few thoughts FWIW... (not in any particular order)

1. First, Very (very) sad to hear. I really like ATS, and it will be missed. I honestly can't picture new ownership keeping it the same. It rarely happens...regardless of what anyone promises (sellers, buyers, etc.). Examples abound.

2. I would pay a subscription. I agree with Lumenari in that the pay model would probably chase some folks away, but most of those probably aren't big contributors anyway, and / or are just here to complain about everything. Plus, it might chase off all the "Bring back the old ATS" whiners.

3. I predicted long, long, ago that the internet advertising model wouldn't work (not on ATS, just in general). There's just too many ways for misrepresentation, fraud, cybercrime, cheating, lying and everything else. By this I mean, I would challenge virtually anyone to prove the whole 'views' and 'clicks' and dwell time models actually leads to meaningful results. Plus, I don't run an ad-blocker on ATS (I probably should, but I don't), but even so in 25 years +/- of being on the internet I can count on one hand the number of ads I have intentionally clicked on. I'm sure I am not alone.

4. SJW's - Some are saying it's only a matter of time before the SJW's catch up with ATS. Personally, I think they already have. These are the "toxic" whiners who abound lately. With the advent of digital photography, smart phones and the internet, many of the classical conspiracy theories have been thoroughly debunked in ways which never could have happened before these technologies made discovery and transfer of information as fast as it is now. UFO's, Bigfoot, and so many others are basically dead. The real conspiracies remaining generally surround politics in some form or fashion. Some may not like this, but it's true. For a site like ATS to remain relevant it has to be able to roll with the times, and the simple facts are, the biggest conspiracies of the present times are politics, politicians and current events. So, ATS has to embrace this and do the opposite of what some are suggesting (i.e. shut down political posts), and do the exact opposite by shutting down the people who whine so much. 'What happened to the old ATS?' posts = automatic time-out. JMHO. If ownership does not wish to do this then it's understandable...and whatever will come is probably for the best.

5. Internet discussion boards are getting pretty dated, especially ones without more advanced (albeit also outdated) features like chat. They're not that much different than the old BBS sites from the beginnings of the interwebz, just more colorful and with ads. No doubt social media sites like failbook, twitter and so many others have made life even more difficult for sites like ATS. They take users away in gobs.

6. It seems like every suggestion gets met with "can't do that", "can't afford it", "won't work", etc. Okay, understood, but is ATS really asking for suggestions which they will evaluate, or just throwing their hands up? Just an honest question.

7. A word about pay sites (something I know a little about). One of the biggest challenges for many websites is how to take money (i.e. the actual act of accepting forms of payment). In particular, one of the most onerous is PCI compliance and all the auditing. The costs of trying to do this yourself (i.e. ATS) are staggering when you finally get it right. However, there is an easier way (although it doesn't seem like it at first) and this is to farm that piece out. The accounting side is simple compared to the physical and logical aspects of PCI compliance, so it's worth a cut of the revenue to push this off to companies who specialize in only this (and there are a number of them).

Conclusion - Please don't take any of these thoughts as criticisms, they are merely random thoughts. So FWIW, I would pay. I would suggest ignoring all the whiners; they whine on every other thread just like they're doing on this one. Despite what some may say, there is still a tremendous amount of diversity on this site. The whiners just whine because they don't have an argument they can win, so they want all opposing view silenced. Doing that will be worse for ATS than just flat-out closing down and being done with it.

Best of luck, and if there's a way we can help I'm sure you can find more than a few of us who would be willing to help not only with words, but with finances as well.

Sincerely,

FCD

edit on 6/18/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

(post by Nikola014 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Ask for donations once a month many other sites do that .

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   
How much do the Q threads contribute to the demise is my question?

Anything to do with Q and Trump is poison in today's "1984" climate.
edit on 6/18/2020 by Creep Thumper because: TWEAK.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Feels like ATS ownership has given up. Any and all solutions shot down. And I love how the leftists are the ones that are like "meh change iz good!".

Stupid. Ffs. Well thanks SO and everyone else. THIS has been my place to be real, to vent and be MYSELF for years.

It's like another family I'll be ripped away from.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   
A couple of years ago the owner of the martial arts training facility where I have trained for many years walked in and said he was selling the place. Everyone was in shock because we were all very close, like family. Much like ATS. The owner was a great guy and I am still very good friends with him....but the world had changed from when he had started the facility and he had moved on with new things in his life. I can't help but think that is, ultimately, where we are with SO. I don't think he really WANTS to shut down the site, but in order to keep breathing life into it, he would have to commit to a lot of work and maybe there just isn't room for it in his life anymore. I dont' know....just guessing.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Maybe it’s time to go old school and go back to Usenet groups. Alt.ats?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   
How much money does ats require to keep running at a given month? I'm sure if we can get a number we can rally it up.

In what ways can we as ats users contribute to the acquisition of a new owner?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It’s odd but predictable nonetheless that some of the people complaining about toxicity are some of the worst offenders. Shrugs

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

$25,000 USD

I have enough for 8 months only. It sounds...unsustainable

edit on 6/18/2020 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder
It’s odd but predictable nonetheless that some of the people complaining about toxicity are some of the worst offenders. Shrugs

They are clearly the ones hoping for "the end", it's so blatantly obvious.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Seems that's the trend anymore. The biggest complainers about racism, the biggest racists. The biggest abusers of women pretend to be champions of women. Etc. etc.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I sincerely hope this isn't happening because the owners of this site are old fogies getting taken for a ride.

These numbers I'm seeing thrown around are ludicrous. What's so expensive about this? It's a damn forum with text and jpgs (with an imposed size limit).

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

They are clearly the ones hoping for "the end", it's so blatantly obvious.

One less place they have to try to defend indefensible ideas. Soon all that will be left are places where people who disagree with them get banned.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV
I sincerely hope this isn't happening because the owners of this site are old fogies getting taken for a ride.

These numbers I'm seeing thrown around are ludicrous. What's so expensive about this? It's a damn forum with text and jpgs (with an imposed size limit).

Would this be a good time for a "learn to code" joke? Actually it's a great time, because I'd get banned for using that phrase some other places...

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Guys, really....

It would be nice to limit this to thoughts and opinions on the OP, what positive ideas member have on saving ATS...and not descending into political partisanship and playing the blame game!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

There database is giant. The site is highly trafficked by non-members. No one seems to have the time to make it members only, subscribers only, etc.

I believe they run all their own hardware, the connections and all that. Or so they used to. Maybe not anymore. I couldn't tell you

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Djarums
FWIW I don't think message boards will really exist for much longer.

It would appear independent opinions are not wanted in general. Most websites run my MSM outlets have disabled their comments sections entirely. Add that to the threats by ad networks to excommunicate sites due to behavior in comments and what you have is an internet where you will be told the story and that's where it ends. You will not have the ability to discuss it or - heaven forbid - question it. The story posted by the MSM outlet will be the entirety of the discussion.

You want to discuss or disagree? Arrangements will be made to see to it that you can't sustain yourself. I think the example of NBC acting as a hall monitor/snitch for Google with regard to zerohedge and the federalist is just a grain in the big sack of rice.

People can argue right or left all they want. Bottom line is, our opinions are no longer worthy of being posted anywhere unless we are part of a certain club that none of us are members of.

Dissent on twitter, fb, etc are easily vaporized. Websites like ATS aren't. Or weren't.

I guess if this site does vanish it'll be one less one for them to crush.

Nail on the head here Djarums.

Throwing the newly minted topic of Covid into the
mix, a coronavirus! There are politically correct virus views,
if one holds a dissenting view Twitter deletes the post.

Sad but true. Wake up folks!

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

The Alaskan outdoor board Alaska Outdoor Journal, TOTALLY apolitical website that used to provide daily sportsman updates for fishing in Alaska, was shut down by the webmaster several years ago because he was receiving death threats from the ecowarrior crowd because he wasn't taking a hard nose position against Pebble Mine while receiving legal takedown threats from the commercial fishing industry because he was pointing out how many millions of salmon they were taking while resident subsistance and sport fishermen were seeing our limits redused and our seasons slashed over "too few salmon." He shut the site down and it was over political bullying and Bullsh*ttery entirely.

IMO ATS isn't the only thing that likely isn't going to come back from this nonsense. I personally am not sure society itself comes back from this crap.

This too!

And people think ATS is bad?

Twitter is the greatest offender.

Don't even get me started on reddit.
Never posted there, never will.

ATS was and still is the best.
Never used an add blocker.

I'd donate today, where is the GoFundMe account?

edit on 18-6-2020 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join