It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rayshard Brooks charging decision today

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: drussell41

They are already leaving.

I know, but this will be a lot more significant...

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Glad he is dead. Extremely dangerous person. Police Officer made the right call. Make it a National law. Shoot a Cop with a tazer and deadly force is authorized to include a choke hold.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Officer Rolfe had extensive training in subdual and arrest, as well as deescalation.

He had a higher culpability than a member of the general public would have.

He was FIRED in less than 24 hours after the shooting.

So, either the APD/DA has reason or Officer Rolfe will be gettting a large settlement.

An outstanding , in my opinion , Police Chief also resigned under NAACP pressure.
You want to guess the race of the Police Chief ?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

They are already leaving.

I know, but this will be a lot more significant...

I agree.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Ok I just read this
www.nbcnews.com...

While running, Brooks appeared to turn around and point the weapon at police, he said.

"At that point, the Atlanta officer reaches down and retrieves his weapon from his holster, discharges it, strikes Mr. Brooks there on the parking lot, and he goes down," Reynolds said.

The key words "appeared to"
I think it is very important. Does he turn around?

"The question that we have to decide is at that precise moment whether or not Mr. Brooks was in the position to cause imminent bodily harm to that officer or some other member of the public," Howard told NBC News on Monday.

edit on 17-6-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Ok I just read this
www.nbcnews.com...

While running, Brooks appeared to turn around and point the weapon at police, he said.

"At that point, the Atlanta officer reaches down and retrieves his weapon from his holster, discharges it, strikes Mr. Brooks there on the parking lot, and he goes down," Reynolds said.

"The question that we have to decide is at that precise moment whether or not Mr. Brooks was in the position to cause imminent bodily harm to that officer or some other member of the public," Howard told NBC News on Monday.

z

Yes. At 8:09.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman

a reply to: HalWesten

I just don't understand why people do that.

Easy to understand, fight or flight, sometimes both.
People freak out sometimes and I personally don't think shooting them is the answer.
Should people follow orders, of course, should they DIE if they don't....

No. The answer is no, they absolutely should NOT.

Of course that's not what we want, but if someone points a weapon of any kind at a cop, why should the cop chance losing their life?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Ok I just read this
www.nbcnews.com...

Gotta love NBC .
They know the truth because 2 (unidentified) law enforcement "experts" said so.
Methinks it was the 2 folks panhandling outside Smitty's Bar.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Crime is about to go sky high. Already has. Nobody will want to be Cop if he is charged. Can't use pepper spray, tear gas, tazers and absolutely not a gun. Can't do anything but follow collegiate wresting moves or take off running away. Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   

This case is going to have much more far reaching consequences than George Floyd.
On on hand if the officer is justified, Atlanta and many cities will burn.

If the officer is charged, many police officers may leave, or protest themselves.

This is truly a no win situation.

Hey, I agree with you. Right now targets are on the backs of all cops and it sickens me to see this because of a few bad ones. When they can't trust a fast food joint not to mess with their food and can't sit in their car without the fear of being assassinated, things have gone very wrong.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Tasers are less-lethal. Estimated lethality around 1%.

What is the estimated lethality of a .40 caliber Smith & Wesson or a Glock 22?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Logic, reason, common sense have no seat at the table.

They will charge murder at the behest of their new overlords of Virtue Justice.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV
a reply to: JAGStorm

Was he just supposed to let him run off? That would have really made the public feel great. Or maybe it would. Rayshard could have posted a video online THANKING the officers and it could have been a big hullaballoo.

Who knows.

I don't foresee myself grabbing a taser from a cop and running from him. So... I'm not a good judge.

Actually just running off would have been OK if they couldn't catch him, but shooting the taser at them really upped the danger level of the situation.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   

If he hits you with a tazer then takes your gun and shoots, your opinion is worth 0. You will be dead.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   

So I shoot you with a taser and while you lay on the ground not moving I take your gun and shoot you in the head, how is that for dangerous?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   

maybe...but being irrascible, ornery, and resisting arrest is no reason to kill someone. If that taser were close enough to actually hit him, i'd support potentially accepting a self defense type deal. But to shoot someone in the back is cowardly no matter what your reasoning.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Maybe I'm old school, but no man should shoot another man in the back.

IMO, Brooks was executed by a lazy coward: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

maybe...but being irrascible, ornery, and resisting arrest is no reason to kill someone. If that taser were close enough to actually hit him, i'd support potentially accepting a self defense type deal. But to shoot someone in the back is cowardly no matter what your reasoning.

Kind of plays into whether they were right to do it, or whether they were 100% morally right to do it. Easy to armchair quarterback it, but hard to say when you are talking seconds. With that said I have made many posts not in favor of a good number of police shootings, and what I think about in this case is if the officers just stopped perusing and deescalated the situation how far would a drunk guy run?

This might be where I keep repeating myself as to the biggest problem with many cops is their culture and training is not designed to deescalate the situation.

So in the end was he right to do it, yep...could the cops have deescalated the situation with little fear of further threat, I believe so.

As to shooting in the back, if a person turns quickly and shoots and then turns back round to run I can see the return fire to easily end up in the person's back, so I'm not going to suggest "cowardly" as a few have.

edit on 17-6-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   
IIRC, Brooks had not been frisked before he resisted arrest, stole the taser and ran away.
When he turned with something in his hand, the cops couldn't be certain that it wasn't a gun that he had on his person from the beginning.
Something to think about.

edit on b000000302020-06-17T14:25:11-05:0002America/ChicagoWed, 17 Jun 2020 14:25:11 -0500200000020 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
IIRC, Brooks had not been frisked before he resisted arrest, stole the taser and ran away.
When he turned with something in his hand, the cops couldn't be certain that it wasn't a gun that he had on his person from the beginning.
Something to think about.

But he did shoot the taser and it lite up so I'm sure they knew it was the taser.

edit on 17-6-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join