It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberal Editor Of Rolling Stone Magazine Says “The American Left Has Lost Its Mind”

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I stopped reading Rolling Stone magazine long ago, because of their left bias.

I can’t help but wonder how horrible it must be to wall off everything that threatens your politics.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I don't agree with everything Matt Taibbi writes (well, duh!) but he is one of the few journalists whose name I both recognize AND respect.

I remember a few years back he was about to join Glenn Greenwald at The Intercept but then suddenly decided to stay with Rolling Stone. Guess this explains why he stayed.

The only thing about him that really gave me pause was his take on the death of fellow muckracker Michael Hastings, which if I remember right followed the official MSM narrative.

As to the parts quoted in the OP about the state of the left I absolutely agree with his take.

edit on 17-6-2020 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I don't think the American left has lost it's mind at all.

I think they are tired of wearing a mask.

They are tired of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

They are tired of pretending that it's all about making America and Americans better and more independent.

They have always wanted the nation destroyed.

They have always been against individual freedoms, individual rights, free expression.

The only thing that is happening now is that their mask has fallen and we're seeing the left for who they truly are.

In my humble and still legal to have, opinion.
edit on 17-6-2020 by DBCowboy because: I drank all of Augustus's beer. . . come at me bro!

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Party platforms are probably mandated by the real power brokers. It is in the interest of the parties to continue to promote the "no prisoners" approach to keeping us all either divided, anxious or apathetic.

I don't know what you and others are actually referring to when you use the generic term "the left." Democratic party leadership? Challengers to leadership like Sanders, AOC, etc. The Communist Party USA? MSNBC? Or the probably 50 million Americans who are registered Democrats.

Perhaps if I understood that I could better answer your question.

I see the extremists on both sides. Both sides are played against the middle. Pelosi and McConnell are not enemies, they are employees of the real power in this country.

I live in Atlanta, near Emory University. I'm very familiar with the phenomenon you're describing among many liberals/Dems.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   
He calls the ideas of leftists “toxic and unattractive”

He’s not wrong.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Well, Matt, that “ideal” and “vision” left the scene, as soon as Donald Trump decided to run for President.

That “tinderbox moment” that you talk about in your article, wasn’t caused by President Trump’s incompetence, but rather from a unified hatred that spread on MSM, and became a firestorm.

While I understand some of this perspective I cannot forget that what also happened when Trump decided to run for president, all of the morally superior conservatives in the Republican Party also were vehemently opposed to him. Vehemently. I'm not going to list all the terrible things that were said by all the noteworthy Republicans but suffice it to say they were equally as scathing as what the Democrats were saying at that point.

And what happened to those conservative voices? They all bowed down and shut up once he beat Clinton. They tucked their concerns away and acquiesced to the fraud they knew him to be.

So rather than holding to the values that make us strong, that of speaking truth to power, half the country continued to do that while the other half tucked tail and whimpered under his monarchist vision.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

See what smoking all that couch stuffing in HS did to your brain? Your world is completely clouded by a skewed vision of reality. And what comes next might just surprise you...

That's not what happened at all, not even close.

What really happened is all those corrupt 'establishment' republicans thought the Establishment would prevail over Trump. They didn't count on the people they represent proving them wrong. But it proved something else to these lying corrupt cowards too, it proved they themselves were vulnerable. They were vulnerable to all those voters who sent up a clear brilliantly bright neon message in the night sky..."You are out of touch. You WILL represent us...or you are NEXT!"

THAT is what caused them to put their tails between their legs and scatter like the cockroaches they are!

See, this is what's wrong with some of you liberals, you can't see the forest but for the trees. Trump didn't win the election as much as "the Establishment" LOST the election.

That's what really happened in 2016!

ETA - And a perfect example of one of those turn-coat, traitorous, Establishment republicans was none other than...John McCain.
edit on 6/17/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Having zero tolerance for any intolerance does not make a person look sane.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Unlike you , who believes everything the dem leadership tells you . Honest to god it wouldn’t surprise me if you were Hillary Clinton . I like a lot of things but it doesn’t mean i believe everything about it
You should try critical thinking . The Democrats are lying to you. But you sit here and defend them 24/7
. Wish you’d go out and get a real job hil

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Well if they didn’t it would of showed this two party system to be the sham it is . That would of backfired horribly . Think about it

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The natural evolution of extreme political movements either right or left ends one of 2 ways; it is stopped by force and violence or it burns itself out in extreme excesses of brutality and internal power struggles. Every last one of them. This is forcing a terrible choice upon not just Americans but by the looks of it most developed nations in the West. As Billy Joel said "We didn't start the fire" but the vast majority of us are not willing to just sit back and watch everything we and our ancestors have built be burned to the ground.

I've made a lot of posts here over the years but reading this back I don't think I have ever posted one more true and foreboding.
edit on 17-6-2020 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Party platforms are probably mandated by the real power brokers. It is in the interest of the parties to continue to promote the "no prisoners" approach to keeping us all either divided, anxious or apathetic.

I don't know what you and others are actually referring to when you use the generic term "the left." Democratic party leadership? Challengers to leadership like Sanders, AOC, etc. The Communist Party USA? MSNBC? Or the probably 50 million Americans who are registered Democrats.

Perhaps if I understood that I could better answer your question.

I see the extremists on both sides. Both sides are played against the middle. Pelosi and McConnell are not enemies, they are employees of the real power in this country.

It's a distinction that isn't made often enough and what people mean when they classify groups is left ambiguous. I've been trying to be more specific, I'm sure often failing, and I find the DNC is often the group I'm really mentioning and sometimes radical leftists. Very few normal people seem to really like anything the DNC does at this point and when the RNC ever actually do something they are equally as inept at capturing the majority opinion.

You're absolutely right. The sides are played against the middle and the most vocal extremist views are paraded out to stop any thoughtful compromise. There is clearly an unseen force keeping it teetering like it is. It isn't natural.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
Many Republicans rightfully understood when Trump said "lock her up" and 'take down the deep state" he was also talking about them.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The Identity Politics Far Left has already killed anything that used to resemble a leftist position. They are totally subservient to their corporate overlords.

Why stand for workers' rights, taking a stand against monopolisation, massive tax fraud, deep corruption, and equality for all people regardless of race, sex? Those positions affect the bottom line and political power of the corporate sponsors! Can't have that.

Much easier to complain about constructed & false narratives of virtually non-existent issues than the real problems that are killing the western world.

Just a quick glance at the corporate sponsors of #BLM will reveal the extent of their hypocrisy.

Amazon violates countless labour rights laws across North America and Europe. Seemingly not content with violating the rights of impoverished Southeast Asian labourers like their competitors.

Google is effectively an arm of the Intelligence community and enables their illegal surveillance of the population. They also march lockstep, willingly, with the Chinese Communist Party. One of the most brutal and oppressive regimes on the planet.

Adidas & Nike's sweatshops in Asia resemble a Darwinian work house.

Apple's factory conditions are so poor they have to put up suicide nets to stop the workers killing themselves to escape. Mighty rich of them to condemn slavery if you ask me...

the list goes on and on.

There will be no serious true leftist movement in the West until very stupid people realise these corporations are not your friends, they don't support your causes and you are being manipulated.

Indeed I don't think there will be a real rightist movement either. At the moment the right mostly serves as a reaction to the corporate narratives & positions, but with no real policy to address the core issues they create.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

No more Mr. Taibbi at Rolling Stone in 3, 2, 1....

Good for him for laying it out.

edit on 17-6-2020 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Ed Zachary!!

(Exactly!)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Republicans kind of went through this although not nearly as bad when they allowed the Christian right to define the party back in 80s / 90s. I didn't support that either.

Oh yeah I know but this is like the polar flip of that. I didn't like the christian right moral majority. But now the "woke folk" are like the democratic equivalent of moral majority puritans.
I guess the law of polarity is real.

"Everything is dual; everything has poles; everything has its pair of opposites; like and unlike are the same; opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes meet; all truths are but half-truths; all paradoxes may be reconciled." — The Kybalion.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I read a piece that posited it as a toxic residue of our Judeo-Christian legacy. Judeo-Christian ethic and mores prize compassion and abhore physical cruelty. We as a society hate to see people being victimized.

This is the toxic extreme of that - victim ideology, people who are so afraid of physical cruelty that descend into moral cruelty where it is permissible and even virtuous to subject someone to unrelenting mental and psychological abuse if you think you are avoiding that physical cruelty or saving a victim in some way.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Anyone who thinks Matt Taibbi has shifted his ideology one millimeter should really read a few of his articles.

He's calling out authoritarian nutjobs masquerading as liberals.

He's right.

Two logical posts in as many days.

Did someone hack your account?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thenail
a reply to: Gryphon66

Unlike you , who believes everything the dem leadership tells you . Honest to god it wouldn’t surprise me if you were Hillary Clinton . I like a lot of things but it doesn’t mean i believe everything about it
You should try critical thinking . The Democrats are lying to you. But you sit here and defend them 24/7
. Wish you’d go out and get a real job hil

I try to defend facts, logic, and evidence. I either post a source for the claims I make, or I state clearly that it's my opinion.

You have an issue. I don't know what is, specifically, but if I can help you some way with something I've said sometime that you didn't like, I'll be glad to discuss it with you. Send me a personal message. I won't respond again in an open forum.

edit on 17-6-2020 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join