It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quaker Foods to Rename ‘Aunt Jemima,’ Scrub Logo ‘to Make Progress Toward Racial Equality’

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Next we'll have "Mascot Advocates" demanding that all the sports mascots be gender and race neutral.

Up next the PC police will disband the Lucky Charms leprechaun for demeaning Irish stereotype

And then Trix for the exploitation of animals

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Get your syrup from Canada ... the maple kind. If you've never had real maple syrup, you don't know what you're missing out on (and neither do your kids).

Oh, yeah, you can't beat REAL maple syrup. I buy mine from a local farm here in NY.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
Oh well....I guess Stubb's BBQ sauce is next.. can't have a black man on the label, right after that black lady spokesperson for Popeyes Chicken

STUBBS is a great sauce, and sweet baby rays too.
People will never be happy, if they made all packing plain white boxes people would find something to complain about. If they made all packing plain black people would have a problem.
Same people who say that the name of something is racist are the same people who complain that the naming of hurricanes isn't diverse enough...come on people.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
One man who used his colour to his own advantage......

*From reggae to riches: Levi Roots*

Meg Leonard and Nick Moorcroft, writer-producers of some of the UK’s most successful independent films, are planning a film for cinematic release to tell Roots’ story: how he went from a child in Jamaica who was too poor to buy shoes and could not read and write when he emigrated to Britain aged 11, was later sentenced to nine years in prison for drugs offences, to turning his life around, and building a Caribbean food and drink empire worth £35million following his appearance on Dragons’ Den.

www.theguardian.com...

Respect.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

True and calling an African American an aunt Jemima can be used with racist undertones. Lots of old school brands used stereotypes to sell their product also cartoons. The Frito bandido, slow poke Rodriguez, the maid from Tom and Jerry come to mind. They were made in another day and age. One could argue they were made at a time when people weren't so offended or when people could get away with that sort of stuff in the mainstream.
edit on 17-6-2020 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   
What's next the white Quaker dude logo?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mailman

Oh, yeah, that's highly offensive. The one that offends me is the Keebler elves somethings got to be done with them.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Did Quakers Own Slaves?

To most Quakers, "slavery was perfectly acceptable provided that slave owners attended to the spiritual and material needs of those they enslaved". 70% of the leaders of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting owned slaves in the period from 1681 to 1705; however, from 1688 some Quakers began to speak out against slavery.

I guess we're just going to have to get rid of everyone now lol

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   
To me it seems racist to REMOVE this image and name from the product line.

Company announcement: We are removing the "Aunt Jamima" name and imagery because it it has a black person on it.

This is basically the message that I'm seeing. That is racist, not because they were using a brand with the current image/logo/branding.

Whomever pushed this entire cherade into some guilt ridden mentally challenged warzone at the company and other companies have really lost their minds.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   
ARM YOURSELF WITH FACTS:
Her actual name was Nancy Green. She was a cook, activist & a storyteller. She was born a slave in 1834 in Kentucky. In 1890 she was hired to represent Aunt Jemimia as an advertising character. It was her job to operate the pancake cooking display at their expos.
Her personality and cooking talent made her an instant hit. She won a medal for her performance. After the expo she was offered a lifetime contract. She was working until her death until 1923.
Her career allowed her the freedom to become an activist and engage in anti poverty programs. She used her status to become a leading advocate against poverty and in favor of equal rights.
Green was known to be an attractive woman. A magnificent cook with an outgoing personality and a friendly nature. Her original painting, found on the syrup bottle, sold for $9030.00. It was rendered by A.B. Frost one of the great illustrators of the Golden Age.
The left has cancelled a black woman who went from actual slave to famous philanthropist.
SHARE HER STORY (Because, for some reason, they don't want you to).

posted on Jun, 21 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I'd like to ask an honest question here. I'm not trying to be insensitive or anything, but I really want to know. Of our black ATS members, was anyone bothered by the Uncle Ben / Aunt Jemima logos? They've been around for longer than I've been alive (I'm 38) and I can't recall anyone ever complaining about them before. I mean, if there are people being offended by it, that's one thing, but I just can't see it myself.

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: jaytmoon
ARM YOURSELF WITH FACTS:
Her actual name was Nancy Green. She was a cook, activist & a storyteller. She was born a slave in 1834 in Kentucky. In 1890 she was hired to represent Aunt Jemimia as an advertising character. It was her job to operate the pancake cooking display at their expos.
Her personality and cooking talent made her an instant hit. She won a medal for her performance. After the expo she was offered a lifetime contract. She was working until her death until 1923.
Her career allowed her the freedom to become an activist and engage in anti poverty programs. She used her status to become a leading advocate against poverty and in favor of equal rights.
Green was known to be an attractive woman. A magnificent cook with an outgoing personality and a friendly nature. Her original painting, found on the syrup bottle, sold for $9030.00. It was rendered by A.B. Frost one of the great illustrators of the Golden Age.
The left has cancelled a black woman who went from actual slave to famous philanthropist.
SHARE HER STORY (Because, for some reason, they don't want you to).

Great post!

They, the left don't seem to have the same ire with the Colonel Sanders (KFC)

branding?

Is that because he is white? ......... IF SO

Doesn't that make THEM the racist?.....they have in fact obliterated HER SUCCESS.

Edit to add:

OOP's I see Uncle Ben's rice is going the journey too !!! there is a lot of damage

being done in the guise of 'equality' by the very people making all the noise.

edit on 22-6-2020 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2020 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: jaytmoon

Thanks for posting that info, I doubt I ever would of known, or even looked.

All this stuff is getting ridonkulous.

posted on Jun, 26 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   
originally posted by: NightVision
Did Quakers Own Slaves?

NightVision: To most Quakers, "slavery was perfectly acceptable provided that slave owners attended to the spiritual and material needs of those they enslaved". 70% of the leaders of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting owned slaves in the period from 1681 to 1705; however, from 1688 some Quakers began to speak out against slavery.

I guess we're just going to have to get rid of everyone now lol

If you happen to notice (using finely honed deduction) someone other than yourself seems to have a *different* quality than yourself you may be accused of racism. That is; if acknowledging the bear or the alligator or fawn is different than yourself *and themselves for that matter* (species type won't matter to the racist profiling purist) you may be considered the most heinous of offenders. I have no right to notice the beauty of the diversity of God's creations (how did I miss this thread).
edit on 26-6-2020 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join