It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye Aunt Jemima

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Granby

How so?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I mean, really?

Lonnie George Johnson (born October 6, 1949) is an American inventor, aerospace engineer, and entrepreneur, whose work history includes a U.S. Air Force term of service and a twelve-year stint at NASA, including the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. He invented the Super Soaker water gun in 1990, which has been among the world's bestselling toys ever since.

^He's not worthy of a mention amongst other black inventors?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

really want to argue about this huh?

The book minimized it just as I said.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I am imagining that they did it on the knee jerk without even knowing what it signified and it took other people to wake them up to the significance of the role before they had second thoughts.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

"We recognize Aunt Jemima's origins are based on a racial stereotype," Kristin Kroepfl, Quaker Foods North America's chief marketing officer, said in a statement.

Art from the "50's" is not the point. Why would anyone continue to have a racist steoptype on cheap corn syrup?

Aunt J's racist beginings
edit on 18-6-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Granby

really want to argue about this huh?

The book minimized it just as I said.

So you demand more diversity and inclusion, but only if it's the kind you approve of? Could we have included that guy if he was white?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ColoradoJens

At that point, we're talking about Uncle Ben.

But I guess you're right. We should ban all housekeepers because they are inherently racist no matter who serves as one.

edit on 18-6-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Why they getting rid of Buttersworth tho?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Remember this?

Lysergic Farms remembers.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   

read the link. You are not as informed as you think.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   

No, you are minimizing it.

Using a coloring and alphabet book -- that was thoughtfully prepared by teachers -- to impress on very young children the important contributions black inventors have made, does not. Why pick apart someone's efforts just because you can find a way to do so? Sh*ts & giggles?

My public school education fell short when it came to teaching about black inventors and I am sure I am not alone in that. We learned about George Washington Carver, like, every year -- grades 1-5.

That's honestly about all I walked away with and I really don't have the knowledge to be able to say I understand how profound their contributions were. It never ceases to amaze me how many inventors that I happen to look up were black Americans -- particularly black men. It never ceases to amaze me how many black women contributed to innovative math and sciences...and more.

My public school education put far more emphasis on slavery and the struggle to overcome than on individual black achievement.

Kids love super-soakers, it's a great idea to tell them about the man who invented them. Look, even Oprah agrees he was an inventor to celebrate during black history month: Link

I don't know what your motivations in criticizing that book are, but undermining a teacher's effort to teach black history just because you can find a way to mock it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Some make sense others do not as it seems we always start with good intentions that just ends up spiraling out of control.

Here is two more on the chopping block.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Why they getting rid of Buttersworth tho?

Because housekeepers are now racist no matter who they are. Aren't you paying attention to our more woke members?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

read the link. You are not as informed as you think.

I know; I know. I am dreadfully underwoke, and happy to remain that way. Sometimes, the best way to bury these associations is to stop bringing them up. Do you know how and why I know half the profanity I do? It's because of profanity filters. I go along and find out that something is blocked that I had not idea why it was blocked, so I go look it up.

Now I ask you ... is it better or worse that we dig all this up? Did you know half the connections of the names of military bases or did you just conjure outrage because someone told you about it and that you should get mad? Should I be upset that many housekeepers back during Jim Crow were black because that was one of the few legit avenues of employment for black women, or should I move on and allow that nowadays many women of all colors and creeds are in the housekeeping profession.

Is it now to be viewed as shameful for all of them or just black women?

When do we move on? Removing it doesn't change the past, and it's not like Aunt Jemima is one of those black dolls you see around in Elizabeth Warren's kitchen. And Mrs. Butterworth is simply a housekeeper, so if we have to ban both now, I guess my conclusion is that anyone who is a housekeeper must feel deep and abiding shame for being a housekeeper.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Keep laughing, bucko! You're next.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I long for the day when black Americans are represented equally to white Americans:

Maybe if all people were depicted wearing checkerboard overalls, the world could finally come together as one.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   

In Nancy Green and Hattie McDaniels, they want to remove reminders of things that empowered those women.

They aren't able to appreciate how far we've come -- even if things are imperfect. Everyone before Millennials utterly failed and they are going to fix all the mistakes. They have the answers...but the tricky part is figuring how to police everyone's thoughts. That's why they are growing a garden.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
a reply to: Blue Shift

I long for the day when black Americans are represented equally to white Americans:

Maybe if all people were depicted wearing checkerboard overalls, the world could finally come together as one.

You are missing the point, does the above came with the same weighty history as the frank!y racist depictions shown before, let's be clear these are not innocent awwgeez, I didn't know depictions , they were purposefully made that way to degrade African Americans as permanent inferiors, it is saying this is who these ppl are, your Big Boy depiction does none of that.
Want Americans to come together,??? Stop defending the indefensible , this is a stupid hill to die on .
edit on 18-6-2020 by Spider879 because: Fix stuff.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

No. And I would never argue that image is anything but degrading.

ETA: Unless, of course, he was a real man that made a choice and was compensated fairly for the use of his likeness...but I am doubting that is the case.

edit on 6/18/2020 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
your Big Boy depiction does none of that.

Stick a black man caricature in checked overalls and call him anybody's "Big Boy" and tell me the fur would not fly over it. Methinks you're blinded by color, which is 180 degrees opposite the color blindness that you seem to want white America to exhibit.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join