It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye Aunt Jemima

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Keep Aunt Jemima and bring back Coons Chicken while we are at it.
Don't wanna erase that history.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

There is clearly racist and then there's the guy on the Uncle Ben box. You are showing clearly racist. Put a white guy in that suit. Is that demeaning? You're arguing it should be. Make that baby into a white guy, and it would still be demeaning.

Do you catch my drift?

That logo is a maitre de like any one of the ones I see at local restaurants who wear suits. Are they demeaned? Or is it because of the name -- Uncle Ben? It's reminiscent of Uncle Tom, but that would be black baggage wouldn't it? That's would they call call blacks who "sell out" in their eyes. However, in this case, the brand was named for a local rice farmer whose rice was known for its quality; he was called Uncle Ben by the locals.

So is it that seeing a black man as a maitre de is uniquely demeaning or is it the combination of the name of the brand and the logo that made it uniquely demeaning? And if it's both, then I submit that's on African Americans for using Uncle Tom as a slur for so long.

Or it's like the gal in England who wants to argue that Rice Krispies and Coco Pops are racist because Rice Krispies have 3 white elves on the box but Coco Pops have a monkey, but even Coco Krispies have the same three elves and all variants of the Coco Pops (including white chocolate) have the same monkey.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Can't forget the great contribution to history that is the super soaker

School gets an A for effort though. Really

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Granby
Actually I'm not offended by the creator of the dustpan, as long as they also teaches the African and African-American contributions to math and science, we don't even have to go back too far.
youtu.be...
Jessie Russel The lead Inventor Of the Digital phone.
The fact that it is still necessary to point out stuff like in the vid link just to prove we are also present in such fields is disheartening.

edit on 18-6-2020 by Spider879 because: Fix stuff.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Another thing to point out with the Uncle Ben logo: Go and look at the art style for vintage 1950s ads which is the logo style.

You've been doing a great job highlighting clearly racist depictions which pretty much one and all use distorted features to highlight and demean.

Look closely at the logo and then compare him to the art style of faces in those vintage ads. He's a straighforward depiction of a black man with no exaggerated features compared to the rest: men, women, children whether they are white or black. I am not asking you to compare situations. 1950s ads were all kinds of bad, but even then. The worst you can say is to come back to the idea that depicting him as a maitre de is just beyond the pale, and again, I ask you if that means any other racial group ought to now be offended if they get depicted as a maitre de and if society in general ought to hold maitre des in contempt because that's a racially denigrating thing now.

Or is it only bad for blacks to do it?

Or is it the name, and I've already pondered why there is a problem with that.

EDIT --

WOOPS, that should be a reply to Spider.

edit on 18-6-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Parent company Mars Inc. announced Wednesday that it would “evolve” the brand away from the iconic photo of an African-American man bearing the epithet reserved for black people in the mid-20th century to avoid calling them “Mr.”
a reply to: ketsuko

oh the horror

Moving your company from the 1950's to the 2020s'

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Granby
Keep Aunt Jemima and bring back Coons Chicken while we are at it.
Don't wanna erase that history.

This was actually a thing/place?

Ha!

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Granby

Parent company Mars Inc. announced Wednesday that it would “evolve” the brand away from the iconic photo of an African-American man bearing the epithet reserved for black people in the mid-20th century to avoid calling them “Mr.”

oh the horror

Moving your company from the 1950's to the 2020s'

Ah so now you're saying all vintage ads everywhere ought to be banned because the art style itself is inherently demeaning to everyone?

Let's be very clear here -

They aren't saying they're changing it to "modernize" it. They were very clear that it's racist. My question is why? I've asked some very clear questions about how it is racist.

You have a very straightforward depiction of a black man done in the vintage 1950s art style - no exaggerated features or anything else to beclown or caricaturize him in the manner of the other clearly racist depictions we've seen. He is depicted as a maitre de (indeed the original was a maitre de from Chicago), and I've asked if that is the problem and if that means being a maitre de is now problematic or only for blacks as many people of all races serve as maitre des in their daily work all the time wearing suits like this man is shown. I've even asked if it's the Uncle Ben brand name because it is reminiscent of Uncle Tom - the racial slur that blacks use for blacks they view as sell outs which would really be their problem - but the original Uncle Ben was an actual rice farmer who was very well-known for his rice and called Uncle Ben in his local area.

Or are we just to gather than much like mascots are racist because mascots, logos are now racist because ... logos.
edit on 18-6-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Ah so now you're saying all vintage ads everywhere ought to be banned because the art style itself is inherently demeaning to everyone?

Let's be very clear here -

They aren't saying they're changing it to "modernize" it. They were very clear that it's racist. My question is why? I've asked some very clear questions about how it is racist.

I never said anything should be banned.

To your question why

As we listen to the voices of consumers, especially in the black community, and to the voices of our associates worldwide, we recognize that now is the right time to evolve the Uncle Ben’s brand, including its visual brand identity, which we will do.”

It's called listening and paying attention.

Glad they're not doing what you are which is going into some diatribe about the style and era of the art in an effort to KEEP IT FOREVER.

Times change.
Logo's change all the time.

Did you write a dissertation on the USPS when they spent quite a few bucks changing their logo?
Went from the bird to the bird in flight.

It's almost like they changed with the times.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

Hell yeah son

Murican History.
Bring it back

en.wikipedia.org...

Coon Chicken Inn was an American chain of four restaurants founded by Maxon Lester Graham and Adelaide Burt in 1925,[1] which prospered until the late 1950s. The restaurant's name contains the word "Coon", considered an ethnic slur, and the trademarks and entrances of the restaurants were designed to look like a smiling caricature of an African-American porter. The smiling capped porter head also appeared on menus, dishes, and promotional items. Due to change in popular culture and the general consideration of being culturally and racially offensive, the chain was closed by 1957

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I actually think it would be great to start out school kids with a class just about inventors. When Justin Beiber came out apologizing for profiting off black culture in his music, the first thing I thought is that I am sure everyone in music has benefitted in some way from black Americans.

The microphone was the first thing I looked up and sure enough, it was invented by a black man.

Maybe that's just my experience as small child but inventors were the achievers that resonated with me most. In them I saw my own potential.

I think the dustpan was a great invention.

edit on 6/18/2020 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

I think the dustpan was a great invention.

Well rest easy cause it's in the book

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   

It should be. Who hasn't made use of a dustpan?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   

It should be. Who hasn't made use of a dustpan?

I know

don't forget the super soaker guy

They could have at least put Denzel in the book

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:12 PM
link   

But obviously there are black Americans that don't find it racist and don't believe it helps anything to get rid of Aunt Jemima's brand image. I've read some black opinions suggesting they are doing a disservice to Nancy Green, the woman who was behind that imagery.

Any room for their voices in this?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I prefer to not minimize the contributions black Americans have made. The dust pan and super soaker are not insignificant enough to mock, imo.

My 14 year old spent several summers enjoying his super soaker.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Problem solved with minimal rebranding.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Not if we're going to erase Hattie McDaniels, the first black woman who won an Oscar, because she did it in a politically incorrect role.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I prefer to not minimize the contributions black Americans have made. The dust pan and super soaker are not insignificant enough to mock, imo.

My 14 year old spent several summers enjoying his super soaker.

Contributions were minimized with the inclusion of them in the book.
Thats the point

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Oh no...how did I miss that?

I'm glad Netflix reversed their decision. I can't imagine that Hattie McDaniels would be happy to have Gone with the Wind shelved. I have a hard time believing that Queen Latifa would be happy about having any of her work shelved because a vocal segment of Americans decided it was racist.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join