It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye Aunt Jemima

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   
O MY and people were worried over the virus and losing brands to bankrupt .
maybe we should start a list of all the things Other then statues and a flag that will be Forgotten history .
It really is sad I loved Aunt Jemima as a child of 5 it made me feel safe and mrs butter worth .
i had forgotten the others over the years but it does bring back memory's of my childhood .

Ripe to so much of the things i loved as a child ( ps I miss Gilligan island and the Brady bunch and leave it to bever
But I grew up to bad .

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
leave it to bever

That the show with Wart & Joon Clever and their sons Bever and Willy? Used to watch reruns of it as a kid 30 some years ago... that arrogant prick Edgie Hackle, never cared much for him...

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Demographic chart for Aunt Jemima:
snapshot.numerator.com...

It appears the Aunt Jemima brand is most popular with African-Americans...More than 2 to 1 over Caucasian shoppers.
edit on 17-6-2020 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Every show needs a villain Burdman I patterned My life after a mix from leave it to bever and Brady bunch ( bradys fought to much though a IM Gregg and Gregg was a jerk lolol .
Kind wish my parnemt picked a better name a GR with a egg on the end how boring

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

They have buying power. When I saw this story on Twitter last night, a lot of black people were sharing black-owned syrup producers to purchase from. This could be good for black achievement which is a good thing for all of us. Achievement is good for all of us, period.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

Maybe Aunt Jemina can hangout with the kneeling Native American woman, and discuss other employment opportunities.

When I was a kid, I used to cut out her knees and put them on top of her holding the box. Yeah it was childish back then, but it cracked my friends up.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   

edit on 17-6-2020 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   
38181 LOL now why did i not think of that as for childish more like raging 14 year old hormones .
At 5 she meant nothing to me at 14 well .
accutly at 54 she is still hot got her Number ?
edit on 17-6-2020 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Next, they will go after white imagery like Sunbeam bread girl and little Debbie because it shows white privilege.
It’s awesome that 13% of the population get this much power.

🍺👍🏻

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   
HUMM Wendy's and McDonald's _ got to stop clowning around .
Taco Bell Because Chihuahua deserve to be heard . O i am going to get in so much trouble so better throw in a Irish ( i am ) Spring and Lucky charms so disrespectful to my Irish heritage .
Now I picked on my self is that pc enough ?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 06:46 AM
link   
For the people crying what about Uncle Ben and Butterworth

They are changing too

edition.cnn.com... tm_term=link

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Another black on black crime. Maybe a history lesson is due

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Another black on black crime. Maybe a history lesson is due

No !..this was strictly a "White on Black crime, as those images were used to dehumanize black folks for centuries, thus allowing them to be abuse and even killed as non humans, whose lives disqualified and matters not! for empathy when bad sht happens... But such is White privilege that allowed folks like U to give exactly zero fks. While casually dismissing our plight, but it's ok this is not the worst of the Blackman's burden to carry, we have survived worst and still we strive it's all good to given our starting point..

edit on 18-6-2020 by Spider879 because: Victim of auto correct.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I had the original Little Black Sambo story as a little girl. In my recollection, Sambo was the hero of story by outsmarting the tigers.

I also had the old Brer Rabbit tales including the tar baby. I still have it around here somewhere, but I couldn't find it. It's an old Disney version, but if I recall correctly, the "tar" in the baby isn't black; it's more like glue.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

They have buying power. When I saw this story on Twitter last night, a lot of black people were sharing black-owned syrup producers to purchase from. This could be good for black achievement which is a good thing for all of us. Achievement is good for all of us, period.

It'll be a good thing for black achievement until the mostly peaceful protests reach out that far.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 10:03 AM
link   
So ... let me get this all straight:

We cannot put a housekeeper and a maitre de on boxes as logos if they are black because that is demeaning. But it would be perfectly OK if those same people were depicted as white, Asian, or Hispanic. *Those* people can be housekeepers and maitre des all anyone wants them to be.

At the same time, despite both those things being real professions lots of people of all races work at today, African-Americans as a sub-culture who are now feeling demeaned if they are depicted in those professions, largely eschew the type of education that will allow them to avoid those professions because that's selling out or acting white.

So what exactly do they want? Do they want to simply be elevated to the positions of independent aristocrats ... because, reasons?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Peace out AJ.

Audi 5000 G.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Looks like the Aunt Jemima brand image is about to be deep-sixed by PepsiCo...the Brand's owner.
The brand is under threat of boycott for being based upon a 130 yr. old racial stereotype.

Why should she be different?

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
So ... let me get this all straight:

We cannot put a housekeeper and a maitre de on boxes as logos if they are black because that is demeaning. But it would be perfectly OK if those same people were depicted as white, Asian, or Hispanic. *Those* people can be housekeepers and maitre des all anyone wants them to be.

At the same time, despite both those things being real professions lots of people of all races work at today, African-Americans as a sub-culture who are now feeling demeaned if they are depicted in those professions, largely eschew the type of education that will allow them to avoid those professions because that's selling out or acting white.

So what exactly do they want? Do they want to simply be elevated to the positions of independent aristocrats ... because, reasons?
the

Katsuko What are you talking about, it's not just about them being "Black" but the racism attached to those images, even back then they knew it was wrong but they created it for that very reason, c'mon you were / still is a teacher?? how could you not know how negative imagery impact the physiology of children , causing a sense of inferiority which will leads to problems in the future, especially if there were no positive reinforcement to offset those, it's not only in popular Brands, but movies , tv shows etc, that you and other mostly non Black or people of color cannot see, but willing to dismiss such images as warm and fuzzy in your childhood, but failed to see it in a different light in adulthood is disappointing, but what else is there to do....70 - to 120 yrs?? Corporate decisions securing that bag for the future...

This was one of the reason African-American soldiers lead by DAVID FAGEN pointed their weapons in the direction of their former comrades and country men in arms, during the Philippine American war, the raw racism behind such images.
www.blackpast.org...

edit on 18-6-2020 by Spider879 because: Fix stuff.

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

There is so much little subtle stuff out there.

My daughter just finished second grade.
She had a workbook of the ABC's of Black History.

Here is one of the entries

I find that quite amusing. In all of the history they are talking about this ranks up as the best stuff they can teach teach kids?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join