It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye Aunt Jemima

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Time to ban 'Uncle Remus' fables.

Written by an old southern white guy.

www.post-gazette.com...

Did he preserve authentic African-American fables for history...culturally appropriate them...or both?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
Quickly!! Buy Aunt Jemima Syrup and save them!!

No I'm trying to save Mrs. Butter-Worth

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It's called "waffle syrup" because it contains no real maple syrup. It is corn syrup with artificial coloring. If you think you like aunt Jemima syrup, try real maple syrup and your breakfast game will change forever.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
Quickly!! Buy Aunt Jemima Syrup and save them!!

I thought about that, but a plastic bottle is beyond worthless.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

What if I told you that a large amount of the population have tried maple syrup (as evidenced by its presence on Walmart shelves) and many still prefer their "inferior" "cheapo" brands?

Aunt Jemima was never at the top of the list... OG Glass Bottle Mrs Butterworths was where it's at.

REAL Maple syrup is thin and hits the wrong sweet note for me... and it's WAAAAY overpriced.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Sounds like folks are voting with their wallets.

Capitalism working as intended.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV
a reply to: cooperton

What if I told you that a large amount of the population have tried maple syrup (as evidenced by its presence on Walmart shelves) and many still prefer their "inferior" "cheapo" brands?

Aunt Jemima was never at the top of the list... OG Glass Bottle Mrs Butterworths was where it's at.

REAL Maple syrup is thin and hits the wrong sweet note for me... and it's WAAAAY overpriced.

It's funny I was thinking that as I was writing that. The taste of real maple syrup needs to grow on you if you are used to eating the corn syrup brands. When I first tried real maple syrup, I didn't like it either, the taste was too aromatic. After a while it grew on me and now I can't go back to the corn syrup brands. Comparable to the necessity to acclimate your taste buds to beer, IPA, and so on

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Say it's not so,I used to use Aunt Jemima complete buttermilk
pancake mix to bake cookies.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

Say it's not so,I used to use Aunt Jemima complete buttermilk
pancake mix to bake cookies.

And ole Uncle Ben for fried rice!

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Time to ban 'Uncle Remus' fables.

Written by an old southern white guy.

www.post-gazette.com...

Did he preserve authentic African-American fables for history...culturally appropriate them...or both?

Am I the only one that noticed this with a Pittsburgh twist?

Also Disney.
edit on 17-6-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I have always used bagged rice at home.Sometimes I
would buy Uncle Ben's microwave rice when I was in a
hurry to make dinner.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   

What about Uncle Ben's Rice? SEXIST RACISTS!!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Maybe they can name it Karen's Pancake Butt Mix and Syrup? That would make everyone who matters happy.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: Granby

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: Granby
People so resistant to change.

Nothing should change ever!!!!!!

People so resistant to just growing up and ignoring # you don't like.

Like all the people in here crying about syrup
hahahahahah

gotta be outraged yo

Syrup brand deemed offensive after 85 years and people cry to have it changed.

People ask why not just avoid the brand if it's offensive.

People who say to avoid it are then said to be crying.

Good one. No hypocrisy to see there....

And BTW... Anna Short Harrington, born in 1897 in Marlboro County, South Carolina, began her career as Aunt Jemima in 1935. She had to support her five children, and she moved with her family to Syracuse, New York, where she cooked for a living. Quaker Oats discovered her when she was cooking at a fair. She made enough money to buy a large house and even rent rooms out.

Just remember, it's her name and image you're all for destroying. You should be proud.

Wonder why they didn't just call the Brand 'Aunt Harrington'.

Because the Davis Milling Company changed their name to Aunt Jemima Mills in 1913 before Quaker bought them out in 1926 and used Aunt Jemima as one of their trademarks. I guess they decided to stick with Aunt Jemima since it was already well known.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV

May I suggest trying a real birch syrup?

Maple produces sucrose, which may be that unwanted sweet note. Birch contains fructose.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown
who would have thought a private company changing there logo to keep up with the times, seeing as all they are interested in is making money, 2 threads on ATS about it now though, its the end of times!!!!

Keep up with the times? Anna Harrington did what many blacks weren't able to do back in the 30's and 40's and you think that removing her is "keeping up with the times"?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: cooperton
It's called "waffle syrup" because it contains no real maple syrup. It is corn syrup with artificial coloring. If you think you like aunt Jemima syrup, try real maple syrup and your breakfast game will change forever.

Thank you.
All these people arguing over fake syrup.

Real syrup is so much better, and has actual health benefits.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: shawmanfromny

If you put her knees where the butter is, it looks like she's topless.

Just sayin'.

Urban legend and all.

I did that. She just got herself sweet cream salted. Thrice!

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   
And I say good! It's long overdue unlike you I won't miss it one bit

From the same racists mindset as gator bait babies, which harkened back to a time when degenerate white men would take black babies and used them as bait, yes this was actually a thing.

Yup this too.

The great Commodore Perry introduced this image to Asia, in 1854 in some small corner in a lot Asian countries it's still a thing, I will feel no lost of nostalgia.
These images tho they make some attempt to clean it up , but they still stunk and do no honor to enslaved Fulani rice cultivators whose skill made that industry possible in America.

edit on 17-6-2020 by Spider879 because: Victim of auto correct.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Thanks for sharing those images....history was odd. I grew up reading old, worn Brer Rabbit books. My grandmother taught in a 1 room school house, and when it closed to consolidate into a larger district she took some of the old books and stuff. I have to say, i see the concern. But as a kid, the tarbaby book to me was just a silly book without any deeper meaning. Lord knows my grandmother would have never let me pick up such an impression...she was a cherokee that hated the prejudice that happened in America.

Commodore Perry...he has this really badass estate in Austin that is currently being renovated from a school into a super posh luxury hotel. The groundskeeper for them is a pretty close friend of mine, among a few other connections I have to the property (their owner pays my salary).

it should be an amazing place. I was aware of who the dude was, but know no details about him in any way. Interesting to see part of his impact in life beyond his wealth and military history.
edit on 6/17/2020 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join