It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye Aunt Jemima

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   

edit on 17-6-2020 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Huh, so my friends collection will go up in value. Good for her.

Sucks that Aunt Jemima is going to be unemployed though.

I'm starting to wish I was so easily offended by every damn thing.
It seems that is all it takes now days, to destroy all the history they made me learn in school.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That’s those Jacksonites for you...

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Lets be real: so long as the product doesn't change, it really doesn't matter beyond someones personal desire for nostalgia. I get it...its a very nostalgic and time loved bottle design. I remember the commercials too...i loved seeing her come to life too. I totally get it.

But as a 47 year old man with a DVR, i don't watch commercials anymore and just want my syrup to taste like maple syrup should taste (as close as possible given that i don't live within 1000 miles of maple trees, anyway).

So i have to ask: why does this matter? Who really cares?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: IAMTAT

Honestly, that stuff is dog ****. The first two ingredients are high fructose corn syrup and corn syrup. It's not even real syrup.

Call up those hosers living in America's Hat, they make good syrup, poutine and a fantastic take on a Bloody Mary.

You all young uns ain't old enough to remember when products were well-made.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
That’s those Jacksonites for you...

Yeah, the Anglicized Indian didn't bother me, I'm all for racist images.

Al Jolson should be the new spokesperson for that crap in a bottle syrup, make me laugh Pepsi.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   

not all of us get to live near glorious maple. If i did, i'd have syrup and maple wood to smoke all my pork with.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I always buy store brand pancake mix anyways. Seeing her face on the boxes always gives me a good chuckle though.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   
This is a business opportunity for Mrs. Butterworth, so I expect someone will have a problem with her because she has a presumed gender and that gender is also subjugated to a male patriarchy.

Uggghhh.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

And neither did you with this crap since the original 1966 recipe had artificial ingredients as well. The 1950's, 60's and 70's was the absolute nadir of healthy food production in the United States, all of you grew up eating processed feces in a container.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Mrs. Butterworth’s first name Joy btw, was reimaged decades ago and currently uses the red apron as the logo rather than you reimaged face.

But for corn syrup maple syrup substitute, I always used Golden Griddle because is used to be real...long, long ago.

PepsiCo should rename Aunt Jemima "Mrs. Robinson" and put a scantily clad white MILF on the bottle.

The first ad could be "You wanted change."

ETA: Also need to find a way to subtly make clear that she's cis-gendered and straight. Might as well go all in.

ETAA: #, forgot, she has to have a MAGA hat.
edit on 17 6 20 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I imagine that one day they'll be a seal of approval by the Ministry of Right Think on packaged goods. And websites!

"The Ministry has stated that this is an appropriate item to choose from. Have a nice day."

link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

And neither did you with this crap since the original 1966 recipe had artificial ingredients as well. The 1950's, 60's and 70's was the absolute nadir of healthy food production in the United States, all of you grew up eating processed feces in a container.

Some folks should just keep to their green soy steaks.

link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
not all of us get to live near glorious maple. If i did, i'd have syrup and maple wood to smoke all my pork with.

Once things return to normal I'm more than happy to send you a bottle of liquid love.

link   
I grew up with King Syrup. It came in a can with a lion on the front of it. I guess lions are bad too.
The can was like a paint can, with a lid that you had to pry off, and the top always got gooed up with syrup.
King Syrup

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

Sucks that Aunt Jemima is going to be unemployed though.

Looks like she saved up enough to finally buy her freedom, though.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Some folks should just keep to their green soy steaks.

You eat that trash too?

I'll stick to the corn-fed local Herefordshire that I get from the butcher a few towns over.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Just as long as they don't touch Uncle Jemima!

It's even funnier because SNL is trying their best to hide this video.

vimeo.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Why would democrats find it racist to have a black woman on a top selling brand? I saw them bashing Mrs. Butterworth's, too, on Twatter. One chick said "Oh y'all ain't know about how racist the Mrs. Butterworth's bottle is? I learned about it in African studies! It's been racist!" Then she posted a picture of a Butterworth's bottle and one that was painted up to look like what she called a "mammie" and said that white women always do that.

So I looked it up and saw that the bottle was designed to replicate a matronly woman. For those who don't know what matronly is, it's characteristic of a staid or conservatively dressed older married woman, especially one with a somewhat heavy build.

No wonder people come out of African studies hating white people. It's like they think whites went to Africa to kidnap people out of their tribes and bring them back to America. Like Africans weren't the ones capturing and selling their own people or trading them for spices.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   

In all honesty, i'd love to do a swap with you. You know i like to fiddle in the kitchen, and come across and make some pretty interesting things.

Ever try jalapeno brittle?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join