It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As many as six billion Earth-like planets in our galaxy, according to new estimates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I would not be surprised if there were many more than the 6 billion quoted. Also since we live in a G-type star environment the G stars are all they are considering as having an earth like environment which is OK at this stage but I believe any star unless it has a habit of doing big CMEs and or mini super novas on a regular basis could have planets we would be very comfortable upon.

To be considered Earth-like, a planet must be rocky, roughly Earth-sized and orbiting Sun-like (G-type) stars. It also has to orbit in the habitable zones of its star—the range of distances from a star in which a rocky planet could host liquid water, and potentially life, on its surface.

phys.org...

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS – EXCEPT EUROPA.

ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE.

That's pretty close to 1 earth like planet per human earth inhabitant. Time for a new Homestead Act? Where do I sign up?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 04:12 AM
link   
There must be some kind of higher domain out there keeping track of all those habitable planets that harbor intelligent lifeforms?

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 05:31 AM
link   
According to what ?
So far the candidates have been very few . (and not really close)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 07:36 AM
link   

One of these days...mankind is finally going to accept the notion that Earth is just a single atom in a collection of atoms which make up a molecule, in a collection of molecules which make up a single cell, in a collection of billions of cells which make up an organism, in a collection of billions of organisms which make up a universe, in a collection of billions universes which make up a multiverse, in a collection of billions of multiverses which make up a...who knows, but it goes on for infinity.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I want to see all of them. I want to walk on the surface and see what's there, or not there. Habitable or not, I want to see everything!

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

One of these days...mankind is finally going to accept the notion that Earth is just a single atom in a collection of atoms which make up a molecule, in a collection of molecules which make up a single cell, in a collection of billions of cells which make up an organism, in a collection of billions of organisms which make up a universe, in a collection of billions universes which make up a multiverse, in a collection of billions of multiverses which make up a...who knows, but it goes on for infinity.

Mornin FCD. You always manage to say exactly what Im thinkin'!

edit on 17-6-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You remember this ad from the 90s?

Guinness infinity advert 1994 - Louis Armstrong - 'We have all the time in the world'

To infinity, and beyond!

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

I hadn't actually, but that pretty well sums it up though!

Ever heard of the artist M.C. Escher?

It's kind of like that too.

edit on 6/17/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Mornin'!

That's because great minds think alike! **buffs fingernails on shirt**

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yes, love his mind bending drawings!

new topics

top topics

join