It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm not Tough enough!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   
There are three (3) kinds of tough in this world (at least the world I grew up in).

The first kind of tough is "today" tough. This is the 'though' where you have some hard objective to do, and you're going to risk it all doing it, but at the end of the day you're done. "Today" tough.

The second kind of tough is "tomorrow" tough. This is the kind of tough where the people around you know, last week you could take more licks, work harder and stand more ground than anyone else. The kind of tough where you just don't give up, not today, not tomorrow and seemingly not ever!

The third kind of tough is "generational" tough. This is where you leave a mark which people remember, even after your passing. Generational tough is about being a notable person in history. A place where people say..."Yeah, I remember that guy".

To survive in the cattle business you need to move from 'today' tough, to 'tomorrow' tough...and you need to do it fast, else you will not survive (not in this business anyway). But the migration from 'tomorrow' tough to 'generational' tough is a giant chasm, one most can never cross.

The difference between these two levels of 'tough' equals humility. There is a point where you say..."I'm not all that, and never will be". And time is the greatest deterent.

There are some days when you are humbled to the point you cannot overlook how infinitesimally small you really are in the big scheme of things.

Each day seems large, dangerous as they may be, but in the bigger picture...you're just insignificant.

It's a hard lesson, very.

Tonight, as I stood and looked across our landscape, our cattle,all our hard work, I realized I'm not getting any younger. And, few people want to do this anymore. And, as the sun set, I wondered...when all of this goes away, who will remain and keep the faith? And I concluded...

I wasn't tough enough to make the jump from 'tomorrow' to 'generational'.

I wasn't tough enough.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I don't raise cattle but I have no idea how many years and dollars I have spent to make a place that is pretty much self-sustainable.

This is my dream.

For the rest of my life.

And none of my children are going to be able to step into that gap.

They have their own lives, their own families, their own interests and that doesn't include mine.

So I feel your pain.

When I go, they will sell it off to the highest bidder and keep going.

I was thinking last month about renting our old house to some Mennonites.

And tell them if they want to, they can work the rent off helping on the property.

If I find the right family, I may just change my will and give the property to someone that will use it for what I made it for.

I wasn't tough enough either.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   

They say a rich man doesn't take his wealth with him when he leaves this world. They might be wrong in your case.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Can we sell it?

Sure, we've got people crawling all over us for the land and cattle. But that's not the point.

Just the land alone will likely make us over, well, a LOT of money. Prime real estate, as they say.

We could have done nothing and the land might be worth even more, but it would have been quickly subdivided into rural housing. We resisted. It was the ranch...and it's known, at least in the county.

We've supported and given to every rural organization, 4H, FFA and many others. Donated animals, helped the next generation in any way we could. Rain or shine, we've tried to be the leaders in the community, always knowing we were insignificant to some other, much larger, commercial, operations.

Our cattle were always more healthy than most of the others. Grass fed. Our cows and bulls were some of the biggest and healthiest in the county, if not the state.

One day, we will stake a "For Sale" sign down by the road, and that will be it basically. All we ever did will be forgotten.

Some new owner will gloat about what a great out-building he got, and all the rest

Perhaps one day, we'll fly the property and see what the next folks have done. Maybe they will make the 'generational' cut'.

But, we'll be flying down from Wyoming (home), where we'll have similar range but likely not so much dedication...because we'll be retired.

it's a hard thing, this. Tough to just walk away.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I'm being buried on this property.

Beside my mother.

I'd rather find someone that can carry on what I've set up.

~shrug~

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Beside my mother.

~shrug~

No shrug's! Good luck finding that person, girl!

I have some nephews from back east. They were ALL interested in the property...UNTIL...I was copying them on emails to my other sister about days in the life. These guys are "playah's"...and they dropped this idea like a hot rock!

I'd give it all away to charity and the homeless if it wasn't so complicated (and dangerous). It would just become a wreck. It takes WORK, and fearless determination sometimes. I just don't see that in society today, so I don't know what to do.

We don't want to give up the livestock and the agricultural rating. That's a big deal.

And so we go.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

originally posted by: Lumenari

Beside my mother.

~shrug~

No shrug's! Good luck finding that person, girl!

I have some nephews from back east. They were ALL interested in the property...UNTIL...I was copying them on emails to my other sister about days in the life. These guys are "playah's"...and they dropped this idea like a hot rock!

I'd give it all away to charity and the homeless if it wasn't so complicated (and dangerous). It would just become a wreck. It takes WORK, and fearless determination sometimes. I just don't see that in society today, so I don't know what to do.

We don't want to give up the livestock and the agricultural rating. That's a big deal.

And so we go.

I know....

I've hoped over the years that a grandkid would show some interest...

But not yet.

I still have time... I'm not going to keel over tomorrow probably.

It's a hard situation and I feel your pain.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I had a good reputation as a builder, but many of my old customers have died from old age now. I do have houses I built that will probably last a hundred years, but nobody would have known I built the houses unless they got copies of all the records and building permits.

Nobody will even remember who I was in twenty years if I died today. I made no identifiable mark on society, but some of my words will alter society for decades to come. Some people will follow my lead, but others will try to prove what I say as wrong and also alter society to go against what I say if they can. But none of us will get remembered, people will not remember online friends, it is not like regular friendships. I think that is the idea of those controling the web, destroy real friendshipss and create cyber friendships so we can be brainwashed better.
edit on 17-6-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Dammit, I got something my eye ...

ETA: If you have never read the book, do yourself a favor and get it. Not the movie, the book ...
:
edit on 2020 6 17 by incoserv because: ETA.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:27 AM
link   

I don't have any property and I pay rent. All I left is in people's heart and also a debt.

I must be the oldest man in America doing what I do. I trained many young persons for the job, they learn and leave. Too tough for them.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 04:55 AM
link   
One thing is certain. I'll spell TOUGH correctly from now on

Thanks for creating a thread to use it in a sentence

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 07:01 AM
link   
If you do not mind that I ask, do you have kids?
If so, you made it.

If not, your farm is known and even twenty years after you left this place, whatever happens to your farm, there will be people having it on their mind whenever they drive by and look at it.

People will see the change, positive or negative and as long as those people do not die, your legacy and for whatever your farm is known, will survive.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   
We retire because we get tired more easily and we find that we physically aren't up to the task any more.
Then, at a certain age, we see that we have toiled for a dream that crumbles.

Kansas

top topics

join