It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston Mayor Wants To Remove Statue Of Lincoln Freeing Slaves

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: IAMTAT

Took down Columbus statue in Detroit today

Bad idea! If it wasn't for Christopher Columbus, today's African Americans would not exist.

And here I am in the "D". What? Motown statues next?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Next to come will be book burnings.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   
If he weren't on his knees how would you know he's a slave?
How can you emancipate someone standing with you?
There is a statue-hate mania going on.
Must be all that bronze and marble and grievance studies in school.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Took down Columbus statue in Detroit today

They're just getting started.

Yeah. We expect the Joe Lewis fist to go...along w the giant statue "Spirit of Detroit".

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The statue tells history well.
Lincoln...his right hand on the Emancipation Proclamation...is asking the kneeling slave to stand up, as he is now a free man.

The now freed slave has his chains broken and is a slave no more. He is up on one knee...in the process of pushing himself up with his arm and rising to his feet, to stand tall beside Lincoln.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

Next to come will be book burnings.

If a 3-D sculptural representation is so offensive it needs to be destroyed...why not burn paintings?
Why not burn old photographs?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Can't wait until they start burning down the libraries and museums, they are already at the front door of the museums.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: E38Driver

Actually, Lincoln didn't free any slaves.

The Emancipation Proclamation only applied to slaves living in Confederate states not under Union control. Slavery was still perfectly legal in the Union states that had slavery and the Confederate states that the Union had control over. It would be like Britain declaring that all Jews in Nazi occupied territory were free to leave the concentration camps during World War 2.

Slavery wasn't abolished until after Lincoln was dead.

Just pointing that out because I feel that in this time of trying to erase history, we should all take steps to remember the real facts. Good and bad.

-----------

What I think is interesting these days are the statues that get police protection. While "protestors" have free reign to topple Confederate and Columbus statues, the Georgia Guidestones and the Wall Street Bear and Bull are protected.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Michelangelo has, in both paint and marble, depicted God as a white person.
Racist?---Sure, I can see that argument being made.

I can also see this as Michelangelo freely expressing his personal opinion as to what God may look like in human form...This is called 'Artistic License'...and an important part of 'Freedom of Expression'.

So Free Expression to create vs. Free Expression to express offense.

Should Michelangelo have his works destroyed by those finding them offensive?
edit on 16-6-2020 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Democratic Party agenda. That’s what this is turning into.

🍺👍

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
If he weren't on his knees how would you know he's a slave?
How can you emancipate someone standing with you?
There is a statue-hate mania going on.
Must be all that bronze and marble and grievance studies in school.

Well, I'm sure as hell not going to kneel like far too many imbeciles are, yet I still eagerly look forward to the day when the United States can be emancipated from this protesting, pandering, and other bullsnip presently taking place. IMO nobody should be kneeling on either side, but plenty of folks should STFU and sit TF down, including any fool that thinks removal of statues is something society ought to be supporting.

That statue has been there for 140 years... if they can find a protester who's been here longer, perhaps I'll listen to what they have to day but, baring that, they can all go piss against the wind.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

My sources tell me that the only reason the black figure is kneeling, is because the National Anthem was playing.

Yeah, I went there.

It makes sense. It was that same National Anthem of the country that forced them to kneel in the first place.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

It seemed important enough to some freed slaves, to give money towards it. Does everyone want it gone, or just the one's who we can hear currently?

I wonder if they got to view the statue before the unveiling?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

It seemed important enough to some freed slaves, to give money towards it. Does everyone want it gone, or just the one's who we can hear currently?

Did you get to see what your car or house looked like before you bought it?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Obvious answer is obvious... remove the freed slave from the pedestal, cover the chains, slap a shirt and trousers onto him, and then perch him atop remaining Lincoln's head.

Maybe they would have settled for both men on their feet embraced by a hand shake, or hug.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Yeah. Did they?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   

We are headed for a cultural revolution and if you look at history those who would not be reeducated were eliminated. A good example was the great leap forward where any thing of the old was torn down from churches to Budest temples. After they tore it all down man (sounds familiar) then began the public shamming and the eventual demise of those who would not get with the program. Then it was the collective farms which was such a failure that millions starved, similar to the mantra of give them 40 acres mantra. Folks say it can't happen in America just look at the French revolution the cultural revolution of Russia, million died. We've had 60 plus years of government schools who have dumbed down the population and have indoctrinated the hate America agenda. We are head for a cultural war that will be as violent as those of the past that has killed millions.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk
Democratic Party agenda. That’s what this is turning into.

🍺👍

I am pretty sure the Democrats hate it more than the Republicans. They are losing a big part of their constituency.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Yeah. Did they?

So, if you did...why wouldn't they?
edit on 16-6-2020 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Yeah. Did they?

So, if you did...why wouldn't they?

I don't know if they did. Since segregation lasted another 100 years I am not so sure they had the input on the project you envision them having. They would take their money, but as far as input I highly doubt that a slave envisions themselves kneeling to yet another white man.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join