It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Stopped the Spanish Flu Pandemic of 1918 ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

From wiki
en.wikipedia.org...

One explanation for the rapid decline in the lethality of the disease is that doctors became more effective in prevention and treatment of the pneumonia that developed after the victims had contracted the virus.

Remember Italy when only a low percentage survived on ventilators? Because the problem was not muscular or nerve wise, it was the exchange of oxygen in the lungs that troubled the patients.

Mistakes have been made, like they have been made before and will me made in the future. It is not the official accepted explanation but the sharp decline back then is strange nonetheless.

I suspect when we can look at this in several years with out the political manipulation we may find that a large percentage of the deaths were caused by improper treatment. Early on there were several nurses and doctors saying the ventilators would make things worse who were silenced / censored / covered up.

At one point they were saying like 80% of the people put on ventilators died. Just seems odd they'd do a treatment with an 80% failure rate.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

herd immunity made transmission from human to human less favorable than some other transmission means that effected other animals like pigs and birds, so it morphed and moved on.

Natural selection, in other words, caused it to select for mutations that benefit its spread vs sticking with the same playbook that immunities were already developed for.

To compare COVID to Spanish Flu is asinine. Mostly because in 1918 we didn't have anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, ventilators, and other aggressive treatments available today. Without military intervention, it is doubtful another "bug" would arise that would recreate the 1918 scenario, as "bugs" don't tend to select for mutations that obliterate their hosts. There isn't benefit in that...it requires a crafted virus. So you could expect that a 'flatten the curve" scenario would typically work if you don't use the herd immunity approach, and our medical abilities would prevent the mass casualties like Spanish Flu where earth loses 10% of its humans.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

It burned itself out by killing all the people with bad gut bacteria.

People didn't stop it and nature didn't stop it it ran out of customers because it killed everyone open for business that had high levels of Pleomorphic Bacteria they got from the food chain in their guts.

This is bs AND WE ARE BEING MURDERED.....anyone anywhere who works to stop the truth from being told is an Anti-Humanitarian terrorist.

Look up Pleomorphic Bacteria then look up Worrmwood then research how all the medicines that work are made from Wormwood they call them "synthetic" but its BS they are made from a Wormwood core molecule.

Dr.Hulda Clark has written books that give a clear protocal for understanding and easily remediating this bug.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView
I still can't find a clear explanation as to how and why it ended
- But this short video, including a statement from a survivor, gives a warning of what might happen if we assume we have
it under control when we really don''t.

San Francisco Paid the Price for Lifting Spanish Flu Lockdown Early

This might also make you wonder what is going to happen in the aftermath of all the demonstrations, riots, etc.
over the George Floyd, and others, killing - Will this cause a big spike in infection rate ???

I just found the answers. Search: Spanish Flu ends how

'welcome...

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
No problem, also I was not implying you think I play games. I see your posts being polite enough to not make this conclusion.

But I know for sure, experienced it myself and saw it happening:

I need to be ultra careful, whenever I mention the USA. If people could think remotely there is something remotely negative inside it, some people here loose their manners very quick, make up their mind and start a posting war.

I am not as new as it looks, see my signature. Mods are in the picture and helped me resolving this as much as possible (thanks again!)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

I would love to see some modern research that proves heard immunity is even real.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: neutronflux

I would love to see some modern research that proves heard immunity is even real.

?

it exists in droves. Natural selection drives herd immunity. Without viable hosts, you either die out or mutate into something else that either bypasses individual immunity or infects a different species.

Edit: here...read:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Its common sense, honestly. If you understand basic logic, you can follow how it works: more immune people creates less hosts, which drives less infection in general.
edit on 6/16/2020 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Admittedly, I just scanned the article, so I didn't digest every word, but from what I did see and from what you're saying in your post...wouldn't the 'herd immunity' take generations to become a reality?

When you talk about die off or mutate, I assume you are talking about genetically. Isn't the only way to do this from generation to subsequent generation?

Not disagreeing with the logic or premise, but I'm not sure I understand the herd immunity concept in the short term (like 1-3 years).

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

It's clear social distancing impacts the ability of the virus transmisability, without hosts to latch onto the virus cant thrive.

The virus does have a lifespan. With distancing, the virus is timed out to die of old age once reproduction is stopped due to a person gaining immunity.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I want to say that it is Summer Itself that may have killed the virus. UV Rays are more direct, thus being more effective at killing airborne virii before they reach another host.

Most water filter dispensers (the ones you can refill your 5-gallon jugs) have the UV Light thing as well.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Generations for a virus take a few days. And yes, it takes generations to mutate.

Generations of humans? No. It happens over the course of a few months as more folks develop antibodies. Eventually...there are no more houses to rent for viruses and they move on.

ETA: it does not take years. it takes months. However long it takes for a critical mass of humans to carry antibodies, making the likelyhood of anyone being infected much less and thus starving the virus of hosts to continue moving amongst.
edit on 6/16/2020 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Here is the big, really BIG, difference betwwen the Spanish Flu of 1918 and the current Covid 19 pandemic of 2020.

The Spanish Flu was up front and obvious - you knew it when you got it - And its spread was up front and obvious
- You could see it spread and track it.

Of course back then they often did not follow or track it properly - And, even like now with Covid, many did not
track it properly or take the right measures to try to stop its spread.

But the big difference with Covid is, that even with testing, it is very difficult to track.

Are there many thousands, or is it more like many millions, of people, walking around with this Covid and totally unaware
that they are carrying the disease around, even though they may never even develop symptome of it ?

This is why Covid, though in its current version not nearly as deadly as the Spanish Flu was, especially in the second
wave, though not nearly as deadly might turn out to be much more deadly - especially if, like the Spanish Flu, there
is a second wave which is stronger and deadlier than the first wave.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Pretty interesting video about our immune systems here:

If nothing else, we are learning a lot more about our immune systems. Thats probably somewhat diverted by a pretty high level of myopism on a single pathogen.. but there is a lot of fascinating learning going on!

I think one of the bigger topics may be virus interference as well, but we will see if that ever really comes up..

posted on Jun, 18 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   

That info you linked was about heard immunity when given vaccines.

I'm talking about naturally accruing heard immunity.
Which is what people are saying we need to do with covid.

People aren't saying we need a vaccine to have heard immunity.
their saying we need to let it happen naturally.

I'm looking for modern research on heard immunity happening naturally in humans.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join