It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is I'm No Longer Liberal a New Trend?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I haven't read every post in the thread yet (I did read the first page, and had to comment), so my apologies this is a repeat of someone else.

Seems to me there are a couple things going on here:

1. There really are minority groups, and in history some of these groups really have been discriminated against (racially, gender, sex, etc.). I think I'm safe in saying this is pretty universally understood. Now, you have all these "woke" folks (that's a good term by the way) suddenly waking up like 50 years of history had never happened since then and starting some of these discussions completely over again like they never happened. These discussions and movements have been well underway...BY the people who were truly being discriminated against...and now all of a sudden all these 'newbies' (who want to apologize for everything) are taking up their fight like THEY were the ones being discriminated against, and they aren't. So, there's resentment over having to recover ground which has already been covered. (Personally, I have a really dim opinion of "woke" folk, SJW's).

2. When the civil rights movements first started there was no precedent, it was all uncharted territory (regardless of what point in time in history it took place....slavery, civil rights, LBGTxxx, police brutality, etc.) Over this span of time there have been giant leaps forward. It's not complete, but things have progressed. At the same time these same minority groups have had some of their needs satisfied, and they have recognized this, and they have further educated themselves about the pros and cons of these advancements, and then further refined these pursuits. In other words (and don't take this the wrong way), they've gotten smarter.

I'll use the same sex relationship movement as an example (because I have some relatives in same sex relationships...gay in this case). Part of the "getting smarter" comment above has caused some of these groups to migrate away from traditional political affiliations. This is particularly true with the gay community. Historically, these groups were almost exclusively democratic, but now large segments of the gay community have now migrated over to the conservative side because they feel their interests are better represented there.

3. Now enter stupid stuff like what is happening in Seattle and other places over the past few years. Now even more of these minority groups are migrating, at a faster rate, away from traditional political affiliations as they realize these woke-folk are trying to reinvent the wheel, and they feel misrepresented by the ignorance of these people. For example, these idiots creating 'autonomous zones', burning down buildings, looting and instituting general anarchy...which are backwards leaps to their movements.

Coupled with all three points above, the democratic party has consistently moved further left pandering for votes, every last possible vote. And by doing so they've created the perfect storm upon themselves.

That's what I think.
edit on 6/16/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: Xtrozero

Throwing the Constitution out the window?

Well, I'd say it was that fellow in the White House who deployed the National Guard against protesters so he could take a short stroll for a photo op.

Or that same fellow threatening to send the US Military against Americans on American soil contrary to legal precedent?

That's a bit more destructive in my eyes than someone fining me for using the "wrong" pronoun I'd say.

Well he can't no matter how much he bloviates, so unless it happens I wouldn't count it, but if it does then it would need to be within the Constitution whether you agree with it or not, don't you agree?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

I do not want these men in same-sex spaces for women and girls. Their rhetoric and aggression towards women takes it off the table for me. No way.

Don't get me started with women sports too....

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Coupled with all three points above, the democratic party has consistently moved further left pandering for votes, every last possible vote. And by doing so they've created the perfect storm upon themselves.

That's what I think.

I agree, and they have forgotten about the base moderate Liberal that lives exactly the same way as the moderate Conservative with both groups not liking what they have been seeing.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Every two months or so, before he knew all was good. It is not like I am obnoxious and only did it at home and if I did, I did it on a Saturday evening, outside the house and when the kid is with the father.

Stopped in December already, so it was not like he ever saw me that way, was unreliable or anything. It is just the fact that I did it that was enough to curb our friendship.

edit on 17.6.2020 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

There are some groups that latch on to that "body as temple" scripture and take it to ridiculous lengths. My in-laws are a bit like that being Southern Baptististy Southern Baptists. They got into a snit when they called us once while we were in college and in the midst of a post-finals party that included some liberal amounts of alcohol and my husband admitted as much.

I thought you were talking about the occasional bit of weed myself, and I was honest -- I wouldn't hang out while you were smoking it because, like cigarettes, I just figure putting smoke of any kind into my lungs isn't a wise move for me no matter what pot advocates say about it. I lost my grandfather to cigarettes though; not many WWII vets didn't come home without a smoking habit and he was a bomber pilot and used them to help stay awake.

Personally, I figure those things are dangerous because they risk being addictive and anything with the power to addict like that risks becoming the center of your life. If you're serious about faith, then you believe God ought to be there, not alcohol or drugs or anything else -- like a celebrity or sports team or politics ...

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   

The problem is, the power of the Executive Branch and therefore the Presidency has grown out of all bounds since the day after the Constitution was ratified.

COTUS is very clear that the office of the President was limited to acting as the nation's chief diplomat, ensuring civilian control of the military, and enforcing Federal law.

That's it. And each of those powers was directly limited by the powers of another Branch.

Over time, the power of the President has grown to become that of a potential dictator.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Yeah its the thing you mention, not sure about terms and conditions. Zero problems with addictions other than maybe sugar and sometimes ATS, but dropped the smoking in December already and do not plan to restart. I do not know any other people that smoke.

It was not about hanging out with me while I did it. I would never blow smoke into someones direction. I did it in secret, now I know why. We were friends in the sense that he knew my father, we used his garage for doing work at cars, my father helped him in his youth and build up his garage and business and this is how I know him. He is three years older and we share the same mindset, I thought.

Sometimes we would just hang out play chess, grilling or gardening, or work at the car for fun, not for money. We went together to drag strips or Nuremburgring.

I believe in a higher force, call it god, karma, or positive energy, what drives the soul, but do not expect it behind everything.

I do not even smoke cigarettes and there has not been lit a single one inside the house ever.
edit on 17.6.2020 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

You can blame part of that on the Congress though.

By creating the Federal Bureaucracy and then gifting it with the power to write regulation which operates almost as law, the Congress has ceded a lot of its power and function. The Bureaucracy falls under the Executive. Is it any wonder that people struggle over the presidential election as though it's life and death? The president and his cabinet shape the flavor and aims of the alphabet agencies for the duration of the term.

And who elects the Congress that then created the Federal Alphabet? We did.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

For people like that, it doesn't have to be.

Even after we told his folks that we only maybe indulged like that two or three times a year, no one was leaving our place that night, we trusted everyone there, it was a safe, small gathering of close friends just blowing off steam after the finals, they still read us the riot act about it because ... alcohol and God and stuff.

Now, I'm a big girl. Jesus turned water into wine, so it's not the alcohol God takes issue with. It's the intemperance that can occur that leads to problems and the dependency. Those are the issues in my mind.

My husband had a coworker who was the same way about it. But I guess another way to look at it is that if you are really so sure you would falter if you ever got mixed up with that stuff, then best to cut it out of your life entirely so you never risk the temptation.

I'm not that weak, but some people surely are.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   

He digs into cars and does not care about the fluids and oils very much. He dislikes "weeders" and since I have that checkmark, everything else does not count anymore.

My father liked that too, I wanted to asked him if he was such a bad person, too, suddenly. I guess then it was not a friendship and maybe I was a burden to him even.

Who knows.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl
"You do realize there is a difference between 'having a problem with it' and being willing to destroy someone over it... right?"

I was responding to that member regarding their previous statement.

I haven't said anything similar to what you just said.

You're right, my apologies...
edit on 17-6-2020 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I was no longer liberal after the summer of "Gentle" Giant Michael Brown and the absolute false narratives being peddled by MSM and our President at the time.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Nailed it. I find far too often that the ideology of the Left has replaced religion for people. I find on the right that religion is largely a ornamental part of their lives.

The point being it seems like a lot of "spiritually" unhappy people replaced religion with the biggest tricksters of all---modern day humans.

Myself I am a atheist---but I came about it kinda accidentally while reading. I just found something that pretty much spoke to a feeling inside I've had about history. And that was that. The problem becomes when someone chooses to focus on something like religion as a tool to control the masses instead of seeing that religion is just one of many tools used to control the masses.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Most Americans are independent and moderate by like an 65% margin (taking in leaners) .

The extremes are what are displayed 24/7 by the media.

Most accurate thing you've ever posted.

Do more of this please.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   

The problem is, the power of the Executive Branch and therefore the Presidency has grown out of all bounds since the day after the Constitution was ratified.

COTUS is very clear that the office of the President was limited to acting as the nation's chief diplomat, ensuring civilian control of the military, and enforcing Federal law.

That's it. And each of those powers was directly limited by the powers of another Branch.

Over time, the power of the President has grown to become that of a potential dictator.

I agree to a point. There is a lot that he can not do, though may want to. Things like the Patriot Act that give the president unconstitutional powers, and even more powers that congress have given him is not good. I would love for the President to not renew the Patriot Act as a good starting point of good faith.

It is funny that we have seen how Obama abused much of this in so many way and the democrats were perfectly fine with it assuming that Hillary would just continue for the next 8 years. Trump just happened to walk into it all and wasn't a author of any of it, so maybe he will work on getting the Presidency back to where it should be or at least back about where it was in 2000.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Like when they elect a reality TV star who pretends to be a conservative?

Yet again very well said and yet never addressed...

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join