It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is I'm No Longer Liberal a New Trend?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

And honestly, I don't really care. Most of the opinions I air here are because they are the topics of conversation here. No one around me except those I know most would even know them in my regular life.

People around me live as they best live, and so long as it doesn't affect how I live and they are following the regular order of most things - not breaking the regular laws or being obnoxious or something - then I don't care. Be decent, and I know how to be decent back.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Most Americans are independent and moderate by like an 65% margin (taking in leaners) .

The extremes are what are displayed 24/7 by the media.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ive been trying to raise alarm bells about it since about 2000.

Years back, even on ATS, many on the right would just say "oh, theyve always been crazy!" To which I replied "well, just wait.. you aint seen nothing yet."

The first experience I had with the cult thinking was environmentalism. I always felt us humans could do a lot better there. Most agreed. Slowly, "environmentalism" became synonymous with "global warming."

It was always my belief that "if ya build it, they will come." Meaning, you invent the tech without any ideology attached.. and if its good enough, people will adopt it.

Eventually though.. I started to be told by more and more people that we cant do any of that until people believe in AGW and we get the "correct" people in power (paraphrasing). Thats what it all turned into; "raising awareness," and all time and effort was spent talking about that.

I called it out as cult-like thinking then, designed to obstruct anything that isnt corporate-political in nature. Then I was excommunicated

Its only gotten worse since then. The more someone uses something like facebook, and how often they watch the news, seems to have a direct correlation.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The uh-oh was not addressed towards you, my mistake, in case you thought.

Live, and let live

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

You can say that for any political affiliation. Why does 8t need to be left leaning only?

I hear lots of stories about the LGBT movement being more exclusive instead of being inclusive like they seem to promote. Is that driven by politics? I don't really think so.

Seriously you can’t see it? Lumenari already spelled out her personal experience for you in this thread as did others but yet you refuse to see it? 🙄

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

More acceptable, you mean like gay marriage and abortions, sex change etc ?

Yep... Not sure what sex change got to do with your examples outside disagreeing with kids getting them... There is a big difference between disagreeing and what the liberals have been doing when one of their own disagrees...

Who cares about gay marriages anymore? Maybe some extreme religious types, not the norm and a very small minority. Abortion issue will always be there but even if many on the right disagrees they are not disowning people who might have gotten one, not attacking them, flaming them on media. You might find a small group here or there, but once again not the norm by far, and not the mainstream as what I'm suggesting is happening with the liberals.

I think if you look today the right has become the more acceptable of the two groups even in disagreeing at times.

Dae

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel
But this lesbian being with a trans thing, I've never heard of this. Does it really happen? I thought lesbians aren't attracted sexually to male genitalia...

Just search "cotton ceiling" and you will be greeted with a variety of links to choose from. Most male to female trans say when they transition so does their sexuality, i.e. they become lesbian where they were heterosexual before. You can see the problem with this from a lesbian point of view...

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
The uh-oh was not addressed towards you, my mistake, in case you thought.

Live, and let live

I just thought it was confession time.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Who cares about gay marriages anymore?

The Republican Platform in 2016, which is apparently being rolled over to 2020.

The platform made a steadfast case against same-sex marriage and called for a constitutional amendment overturning the 2015 Supreme Court decision that struck down laws defining marriage between one man and one woman. And it blames “the current President” for seeking to expand workplace protections to include L.G.B.T.Q. people.

NYT
edit on 16-6-2020 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

So large communities and groups are only a left leaning thing?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Theologically, it is a problem - one I have actually.

But in terms of everyday life? It doesn't mean a whole lot for me. I'm not actively trying to impede people from doing what they're going to do. They are free to make their choices in life, and I know not every religion sees it the same way, not even every denomination of my own, and certainly not everyone even has faith.

I walk into a mosque in some parts of the world (well, I couldn't because I'm a woman and Christian), but the point is they wouldn't recognize my Christian marriage as legit.

So whatever. Be decent, and I know how to be decent back.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   

It's hard for some to see until it happens to them. Just wait. Eventually there will be an issue that they either don't agree with or are middle of the road on and uh oh! That's what happened to me. I suddenly found out that my moderate views were not only conservative but apparently according to the left I'm some kind of fascist ( I'm not).

I've had this discussion with one of my step daughters. You don't get to change the definition of fascist and apply your definition to a whole group of people. It's disingenuous. You know when you say facist, people think full blown Nazi. You can't hide behind "that's not what I meant". Believe me, that was an ugly conversation.

As I said, eventually the worm will turn and some of these people will start to see what we are talking about.
edit on 16-6-2020 by Khaleesi because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I never was accused of this but I also never mingle with types that identify themselves just political. I am very lonely to be honest and since the start of this year, lost the last two friends I had. Have zero "friends" left, so my opinion does not weight in much when it comes to politics with others.

The first one dropped me because he found out I like to smoke a few times a year. This one was very conservative.

The second one is 99% my fault, I was in a corner and my world was breaking apart. I am still ashamed everyday because of how I lost control over myself and cut ties to that person, for selfish reasons that I thought would benefit us both.

At least now that one has their piece but I am still an asshole for how I did it. Circumstances was the 1%.

When I got out to bars, politics is not something we discuss a lot here anyways, in public.

Has historic reasons, as you might know.
edit on 16-6-2020 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

So here is the new reality with the left. In your case just saying "Trump" can be extremely contentious within this woke society, so I'm not surprised in the least, but in Arielle Scarcella or even Jim Pool's situation they are not Trump fans though they will most likely vote for him now, but maybe not vote at all.

In her situation it had nothing to do with the right though she has felt that her views were slowing going right over the last two years, but as I suggest I think her very liberal views are still at the same spot they always have been, but the left in general has gone so far left that she now looks right. The liberals for that last 3 plus years have been allowing the extremest of their group to drive the narratives and there is no end to that extremism. I think main steam liberals are just afraid to say or do anything since they will be labeled in a second that would make Trump look like a Boy Scout. The extremist are using very powerful media weapons here and if they can't find anyone on the right to blow away they will not stop firing and go at their own people.

She just doesn't accept their wokeness and that in itself is enough to get the same treatment as you describe, but at a much higher level.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   

So large communities and groups are only a left leaning thing?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The problem is identity politics. This a bigger problem for liberals than for conservatives in my opinion.

Liberals have divided themselves into ever tinier sets.

Factionalism means that for example rather than promoting civil rights for everyone, you have to acknowledge the special needs and requirements and unique history and culture of EVERY MINISCULE GROUP.

With no cohesive message, liberals are increasingly ignored.

The other problem is the trend toward authoritarianism from classic liberalism.

Using the Federal government to impose these fractured incoherent policies on everyone else IGNORING Constitutional rights.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
If you don't fall in line to the absolute extreme of every leftist opinion then they don't want you. It's so bizarre. I feel like at this point the liberal media is the only thing holding the Democrat party together.

There are 10s of millions of moderate democrats that are the silent majority. There are a good number of extreme Conservative ideas I disagree with, or at least have a more moderate view of, but this is all a numbers game in how many are extreme and how much pressure can that extremism put on the whole group. For Conservatives is is small and little, but for Liberals it has grown in the last three years to dominate the party, and that is why I titled my OP as it is. Can anyone here imagine that life long Democrat that has busted their butt for 50 years working hard in a union wake up one day and scream I'm WOKE!!

It is hilarious to even think it...lol

edit on 16-6-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
a reply to: strongfp

I think its a lot bigger than just LGBT.

A lot of my very longterm ideology has gotten me the same treatment because I disagree with The Monolith. I always have held pretty much the same ideology (though it has matured), they have always known my thoughts, but now its a problem if I talk about it. Its been going that way in earnest for maybe 5-8 years now, but started earlier.

"Friends" getting vicious, family members ceasing communication, etc.. Essentially for just talking about and holding the same opinions as I always have.

I agree, I used this LBGT angle but it is across the board. I can't even imagine disowning someone because they voted for Obama or Hillary... It is totally a non-issue...

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Great post. I don't usually agree with you but that is some great insight.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

When I was a young man, it was impolite to discuss politics in mixed company. (The other two was religion and sex.)

We have been conditioned for 40 years or more that there is no compromise, that the "other side" is not just of a different opinion but is actually EVIL.

This happens on the extremes of both sides.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join