It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Hears Cases on Trump Financial Records

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: Liquesence

China, China, Trump, Trump...we're gonna hear

With a little Putin, Putin thrown in for spice

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErEhWoN
a reply to: DBCowboy

Is it just about Trump releasing his records?

The argument made in the video, by the Trump lawyers, is that he is immune from discovery due to being president.

Sotomayor reminds the Trump Atty, these records are BEFORE he became president. And it is to be released to a third party (NY DA office).

He is actually immune from prosecution as a President.

The only exception to that so far by the Supreme Court was in the case of Bill Clinton, where the evidence of him raping a woman was so compelling that they allowed the civil suit to continue.

Sotomayor is a political activist on the bench and there are real grounds for impeaching and removing her.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   
After all this surmising and fighting for years to get his tax returns, many people would have egg on their face if it turns out to be another big nothing burger.
Trump seems to be playing by rules the status quo don't understand. I'd LMAO if he pulled another rabbit out of his magic hat.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ErEhWoN

If this goes through then I'd like to sue for the tax and financial record of every one in both houses of congress, especialy those who go in with a minimal net worth then come out millionaires.
edit on 15-6-2020 by PhilbertDezineck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Sotomayor reminds the Trump Atty, these records are BEFORE he became president. And it is to be released to a third party (NY DA office).

Just as President Obama had his college transcripts locked down, so can Trump use that same power.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

Just as President Obama had his college transcripts locked down, so can Trump use that same power.

Good point! Joe Biden has his entire document stash locked down within the U.S. Senate archives, and in a vault at Delaware University. To spare his family embarrassment, not even his death will enable them to be made public.

I hope Joe isn't pushing "transparency" as a big selling point, LOL.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

Two Points:

1. If there was anything of substance they would have already leaked.

2. The supreme court will vote against releasing his financial records.

I think he might release his personal tax the day before they are to announce their verdict. And I believe they will only show income from retirement investments, his social security payments and his presidential salary. I am assuming he doesn't take a salary from any of his 515 llc's, which if he did it would be in the form of w2 forms.

Tldr: Yuge nothingburger.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErEhWoN

I'm going to do something I have never done.

Make a prediction.

I think Trump is going to get spanked here like the Rebel flag at a NASCAR race.

Don't really care about his taxes at this point. But will be entertaining to watch him and his administration implode.

Won't be any spanking...Won't be any implosion...No Trump supporters care about his financial records or dealings...

We hired Trump to fix America and take out the trash...And by trash I mean those who have for over 3 years tried everything they can 24/7 to destroy his Presidency and our Nation in the process...

No one cares about Trump's taxes...No one cares how he got his money...No one cares about any infidelity he may have had in his marriages...All we care about is Trump making America prosperous, making America strong, and making America great again...

And he's doing all of that...

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

Just as President Obama had his college transcripts locked down

Are your transcripts publicly available? Did you "lock them down?"

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: highvein

Just as President Obama had his college transcripts locked down

Are your transcripts publicly available? Did you "lock them down?"

Turns out about half of mine are available online.

My CCAF ones are not.

On the other hand, Obama spent millions making sure nobody saw his.

In the spirit of the thread, if he has nothing to hide then why not release them?

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

" that conservative majority on the court "

That is an Illusion , they are ALL Liberal . If that was Not the Case , then the Constitution and the Bill Of Rights would STILL Mean Something in this Country Today , and Not Constantly Ignored . America is Dying Before Our Eyes , I just cannot Look Anymore......Geez.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I don't believe you, unless you gave specific authorization.

You know this, how?

In the spirit of the thread, if he has nothing to hide then why not release them?
In the "spirit" of the thread (which is about tax returns), Obama and a bunch of other Presidents have released their tax returns. Seems that Trump used to promise to do so. Once upon a time. Oh, right, "under audit." Yeah, that's the ticket.

edit on 6/15/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   
pretty sure they will rule against releasing his tax info on grounds of it violating privacy, if not well your own financial records will be available to everyone from now on, no, all your info would no longer be private and the right to privacy would no longer exist.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I don't believe you, unless you gave specific authorization.

You know this, how?

In the "spirit" of the thread (which is about tax returns), Obama and a bunch of other Presidents have released their tax returns. Seems that Trump used to promise to do so. Once upon a time. Oh, right, "under audit." Yeah, that's the ticket.

I know this because I have an internet connection and a brain.

List of what he has not released...

Passport files
University of Chicago Law School scholarly articles
Harvard Law Review articles
Harvard Law School records
Columbia University records
Columbia University senior thesis, “Soviet Nuclear Disarmament”
Occidental College records, including financial aid that he may have received
Punahou School records, where Mr. Obama attended from the fifth grade until he finished high school
Noelani Elementary School records, where Barack Obama attended kindergarten (according to the Hawaii Department of Education, students must submit a birth certificate to register — but parents may bring a passport or student visa if the child is from a foreign country)
Complete files and schedules of his years as an Illinois state senator from 1997 to 2004
Obama’s client list from during his time in private practice with the Chicago law firm of Davis, Miner, Barnhill and Gallard
Illinois State Bar Association records
Baptism records
Obama/Dunham marriage license
Obama/Dunham divorce documents
Soetoro/Dunham marriage license
Soetero/Dunham Adoption records

But none of that matters...

There is no law that Trump has to release his tax records.

The only reason the left wants them is to attempt to find something they can use for political purposes.

So why bother?

Obviously the IRS hasn't found anything wrong with them so he hasn't broken any laws...

However, in the spirit of bi-partisan cooperation, perhaps Pelosi and Schiff can lead the way.

Oh wait... they have both refused to do so.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere

The case involves providing his tax returns to the House Ways and Means Committee. The House Ways and Means Committee says it has the authority to obtain these records from the IRS (yours and Trump's for that matter). Trump argues that they don't.

This is why the SCOTUS will decide whether the IRS must comply. It doesn't have much to do with anyone's records becoming publicly available.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Correction. You guess that the records have "been locked" at a cost of millions of dollars. Not allowing public release of private information is not the same as "locking" that information and it doesn't cost a penny.

The House Ways and Means Committee seems to think that they should be able obtain them from the IRS. Apparently there is precedent.

Obviously the IRS hasn't found anything wrong with them so he hasn't broken any laws
Is it really that obvious? The Committee actually wants to verify if the records have been properly audited.

Letter

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Correction. You guess that the records have "been locked" at a cost of millions of dollars. Not allowing public release of private information is not the same as "locking" that information and it doesn't cost a penny.

The House Ways and Means Committee seems to think that they should be able obtain them from the IRS. Apparently there is precedent.

Obviously the IRS hasn't found anything wrong with them so he hasn't broken any laws
Is it really that obvious? The Committee actually wants to verify if the records have been properly audited.

Letter

Guess you missed this part...

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration in its final year in office spent a record $36.2 million on legal costs defending its refusal to turn over federal records under the Freedom of Information Act, according to an Associated Press analysis of new U.S. data that also showed poor performance in other categories measuring transparency in government.

For a second consecutive year, the Obama administration set a record for times federal employees told citizens, journalists and others that despite searching they couldn’t find a single page of files that were requested.

And it set records for outright denial of access to files, refusing to quickly consider requests described as especially newsworthy, and forcing people to pay for records who had asked the government to waive search and copy fees.

In Obama’s final year, U.S. spent $36 million in FOIA lawsuits

That's from PBS, so you should have no problem with the source...

Secondly, the House Ways and Means committee are in no way partisan at all right now, AmIRight?

Third, are you saying that a hyper-partisan Democratic committee doesn't trust the results of a government agency if it doesn't help them tank the sitting President?

I am shocked.

A funny aside for a guy from Hawaii.

Did you know this guy was born there?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Guess you missed this part...

I guess I missed the part where college transcripts are subject to FOIA requests. I thought that had do to with Federal records.

Did you know this guy was born there?

There is a small park downtown which bears his name but he was not born here.
the.honoluluadvertiser.com...
edit on 6/16/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:29 AM
link   
No one should be allowed to view another’s private tax returns for political reasons. It’s a smear attempt.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: CitizenZero

It’s a smear attempt.

Quite probably.

But the Ways and Means Committee does have oversight powers. We'll see what happens.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join