It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thomas Jefferson statue toppled by protesters

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: FlyinHeadlock

originally posted by: FlyinHeadlock

a reply to: SolAquarius

Jefferson owned slaves.

Fair game.

Romans owned slaves. Should we destroy their landmarks and statues in museums. What about the Mayans. They performed human sacrifices. Should we destroy their temples.

Why is Jefferson fair game and those two examples are not.

I thought this thread was about what is happening in America.

Who mentioned The Romans and Mayans ?

You thought wrong if slavery is "fair game". Blacks owned slaves in the US. Blacks sold slaves to the US. There is a black statue in La of a black slave owner. I know because I use to live by it. Bet nobody tears it down. Nobody alive today should feel any guilt for slavery. It was accepted back then just how Obama and Hillary were both against gay marriage to include Biden.

You have just confirmed what i have said. It's about what is happening in America.

Why ring the Romans and Mayans into it?

And no it wasn't " Accepted Back Then " Do you think slaves actually enjoyed it ? What a bloody ridiculous thing to say.

None of us know anything about slaves, what they enjoyed, and what they didn't. We do know they weren't beaten and abused every time someone looked at them, we know they had their own living quarters provided by the land owners. We know that any freed black man who made good money also owned slaves. It was definitely a part of life in those days, and widely accepted. Lincoln even used the ones his Army caught and made them cook, clean, and mend clothes during the Civil War. I'm sure you had no idea that Native Americans used blacks as slaves, too.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

And of course, there is this other issue I have with what passes for serious scholarship today:

People earn accolades for bringing up what is problematic with the people of the past in modern terms. OK, fine. Everyone already knew Jefferson owned slaves. Many people did back then in the landowning class. There was also indentured servitude, another type of slavery that I'm not sure gets taught or talked about anymore whereby people signed themselves into slavery for a period of years.

But it's much easier to achieve by pointing out someone else's flaws than it is to actually do anything noteworthy for yourself. In 100 years, we're much more likely to still remember Thomas Jefferson and George Washington than we are that guy named Finkelman because they actually did and achieved for themselves. All Finkelman did is gripe about how they weren't perfect in his eyes.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes indeed. And the fact that teachers aren't allowed to discipline kids anymore also plays a big role in this entitled society.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   

we're much more likely to still remember Thomas Jefferson and George Washington

We're much more likely to remember Adolf Hitler and Pol Pot so i am not quite sure what you are trying to say.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Lot of people have no clue who pol pot was and why he was a monster.

=================

Also a lot of people have no idea or capability to comprehend that probably not a single person of importance in history is free from sin, so they are incapable of finding a stopping point from this insanity beyond their own prejudices.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   

If you support erasing history so it can repeat... I mean, it was democrats who were erecting statues of democrats so it would make perfect sense as to why democrats would want to erase their history and slowly move back into their oppressive actions to suppress those who don't think like them. Again.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   

We're much more likely to remember Adolf Hitler and Pol Pot so i am not quite sure what you are trying to say.

Everyone in the US certainly remembers King George III and a decent number of the British generals. We probably should have statues of them in parks to remind us why we have statues of Washington and Jefferson everywhere - petty tyrants like the ones who have decided that statues suddenly suck.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Tantrum Culture in full effect, or just millenials being millenials.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Everyone in the US certainly remembers King George III and a decent number of the British generals. We probably should have statues of them in parks to remind us why we have statues of Washington and Jefferson everywhere - petty tyrants like the ones who have decided that statues suddenly suck.

There was a statue of King George III in Battery Park in Manhattan ... in 1776 that stature got torn down by and exuberant lawless mob.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Makes me wonder, are all the protesters, literally, bU7f3K willfully blind, or literally just opportunists?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
Tantrum Culture in full effect, or just millenials being millenials.

How long before the Statue of Liberty comes down I wonder...

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

About the time they realize she's not a transperson.

edit on 16-6-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

they should save it for winter when their power is cut off.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

There was a statue of King George III in Battery Park in Manhattan ... in 1776 that stature got torn down by and exuberant lawless mob.

Oh, so you mean they did right after the Revolution?

So we are in the midst of a revolution? What regime are the tantrum squad going to implement? Will it be CHAZ?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Segregation. It wont be the last symbol for unfulfilled american dreams tumbling down.

Pipe up your statue game and get a few steps ahead of the movement?

Sweden blocks plan to honor woman who hit a neo-Nazi with a purse

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Nope. The Declaration had zero actual legal effect.

if your saying that the supreme court doesn't recognize as be it being a legal document that be so, mainly from what i recall is due to the part about the right to rebellion, especially armed rebellion. this was seen when the supreme court ruled that the southern states didn't have a right for succession, and them doing so was ruled unconstitutional.

oh yea britain most definitely didn't see it as legal, cause they didn't want to lose power, influence and cash cow they saw the colonies as. but it didn't matter what they thought, the colonies had enough of their rule.

congress includes the Declaration of Independence in the U.S. Code under The Organic Laws of the United States of America.

many scholars have said that the Declaration of Independence was the inspiration for reforms through out the History of the U.S. like, the abolition of slavery, the women's right movement, and the wording and passage of the 13th and 14th amendments. they also say that it is the best example of the spirit of the law vs the letter of the law.

not only that Spain and France recognized the U.S as a nation. in 1778 france signed a treaty with the U.S., and in1779 spain signed a treaty with france as their ally in the war.

but all that really doesn't matter for the simple fact the colonies saw themselves as a new independent nation and said so twice in the Declaration of Independence.

edit on 16-6-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Oh, so you mean they did right after the Revolution?

So we are in the midst of a revolution? What regime are the tantrum squad going to implement? Will it be CHAZ?

But King George was A PART OF OUR HISTORY!!!!

WHy do you want to destroy HISTORY???

See how silly it sounds?

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

At the time, i.e. July 4, 1776, the Declaration had no legal effect.

Fun fact, though, did you know that Jefferson put in a section about ending slavery as a part of the Declaration?

Listing the crimes of King George:

He has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating its most sacred rights of life and liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither. This piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the Christian King of Great Britain. Determined to keep open a market where Men should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or restrain this execrable commerce. And that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distinguished die, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them, by murdering the people on whom he has obtruded them: thus paying off former crimes committed again the Liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another.

IT was voted out by South Carolinna, Georgia and Northern interests in the slave trade.

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   

At the time, i.e. July 4, 1776, the Declaration had no legal effect

well you and britain might say so but the founders say differently along with two major powers of the time by allying with U.S..

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fun fact, though, did you know that Jefferson put in a section about ending slavery as a part of the Declaration?

yes i knew Jefferson wanted to do away with slavery, while he owned slaves and wrote that section.

that is all part of mystery of jefferson.

edit on 16-6-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Id forgotten reading about that a long time ago.

Thanks for the reminder, tells me its been to long since I dug into the founding of the nation.

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join