It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would Rayshard Brooks (Atlanta) have been charged with, if he lived?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Inside Atlanta PD (probably):

We just shot a man who was resisting arrest, attacked us, stole our taser, and fired it at us.

Good job!

He was black.

WHAT?! Oh my god. Ok. F###! You're fired!
edit on 14-6-2020 by notquiteright because: Typo

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   
...and yet another example of how effed up things got when we permitted the tyranny of the majority to screw us and crap on both common sense and rights just 3 months ago. Precedent was set and today we have tyranny of the majority threatening to act like rabid animals if we enforce natural consequences to incredible acts of stupidity like taking a police officer's taser and firing it at him.

And for anybody too goddamn ignorant to realize why assaulting an officer with a taser, a non-lethal weapon, warrants the criminal being shot by an officer using a lethal weapon... think about it for a moment. The officer with a service pistol gets shot with a taser by a thug, what happens next? While the officer is on the ground incapacitated, said thug now has a free pass to grab the officer's service pistol and now we have a true disaster waiting to happen.

Atlanta displayed amazing degrees of stupidity all around on this one.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc
So Atlanta's on fire. Highways being blocked.

Can anyone think of anything else Brooks could have been charged with?

I think that's more the answer, he was killed, shot in the back, injury/injuries he died of, the shooter called out,"I got him"
It doesn't explain why the the police asked him to park his car in a bay, which he did do, probably something they should not allowed him to do in the first instance, and once the reference of tiredness was not longer obvious.
Just because though, is never a good reason for, so called rightmindidness.

edit on 14-6-2020 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 10:41 PM
link   
www.youtube.com... here is the full video of it 1 hour and 28 minutes and most of it goes smoothly interaction starts at about 9 minutes and does not escalate tell about 45ish minutes , the bulk of the end of the video is the body cam being picked back up and the officer puts it in his pocket?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 10:46 PM
link   
www.wfsb.com... R1n_LPi0-2UQWBLrY6o96MDOHWtD3s7q505wmkrNKLy7Bb1RhATdiStaLg

Brooks, 27, was shot dead by an officer Friday night at a Wendy's drive-through in the city after police moved to handcuff him for suspected driving under the influence, according to videos from the scene. The videos show that Brooks took an officer's Taser during the attempted arrest and then fired the Taser at the officers as he ran away. One officer then fatally shot Brooks three times with his service weapon, authorities said.
no report on bac which seemed odd and from above video it seemed to be going pretty smoothly tell they went to arrest him post breathalizer test but in context of the thread his charges would have probably been resisting arrest,assault on officers,theft of police property and attempting to flee the scene?

wikipedia of all frigging places has the bac en.wikipedia.org...

Rolfe used a breathalyzer, and Brooks' blood alcohol level returned at 0.108, above the legal limit of 0.08.[8] After this, Rolfe informed Brooks that he considered his alcohol level too high to operate a vehicle, and ordered Brooks to place his hands behind his back. Brooks resisted arrest, and wrestled on the ground with the two officers, punching one of them.[11] During the struggle an officer told Brooks "You’re going to get tased! Stop fighting", and warned "hands off the taser."[10][8]
so far from a record setting BAC but def to drunk to drive
edit on 14-6-2020 by RalagaNarHallas because: add more info

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: VeeTNA
a reply to: ketsuko

Rayshard was passed out in line at a drive-thru and blocking it for all the other patrons.

OMG!! Nooo! So...kill him!

Oh, how about the drunk driving? Is that not risking every life on the street? 0.108 BAC

I guess you're fine with drunk driving? Resisting arrest? Felony assault and battery? You had better believe, if he had that LEOs gun instead of the taser, he would have shot, just like he did with the taser. The LEOs tried less than lethal first, it didn't work, next step is lethal when a fighting criminal is shooting back.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
You touch a police officer's weapon , and what happens next is their discretion.

This is my sentiment exactly, because that is exactly how I feel for my own personal self. Why would I not afford the men and women of the badge this same right when I pay them to be the ones who jave to live conflict as their daily life in service to those who cannot protect themselves?? I cannot be superhero to the city and neither can most well intended capable men or women who have other professions and work to do. So I agree to fund the folks that will do that task of protecting those who cannot for themselves while keeping the flow of commerce and trade protected from banditry.

I don't want my supply of vegetables and refurbished electronic goods being taKen by opportunistic bums before they can get to the market.

And so we all agree to fund these folks who will keep those trade routes open and as a bonus protect and save innocent lives.

If you got # management in your municipality then I suppose they can muscle revenue with soft violations too. Thats just bad business though. Fuels a feedback loop of lower pay, higher fee enforcement pissed citizens and elevated escalation interactions.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   
There were two cops, he stole one taser. Shot twice while running away. If you fear for your life because a drunk person stole your taser and clumsily starts running away from you, you shouldn't be a cop. And like I said, there was another cop there. What was Barney Fife doing? Why didn't he use his taser instead of sitting around with his thumb up his ass while his friend pulls a gun?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: bigsnowman

if you watch the video i posted around the 45 minute mark you see the other officer fire his taser first then the body camera comes off in the scuffle , and these are "one shot tasers" then a new cartridge has to be inserted they are not like semi automatic hand guns where you have rounds in reserve so think of tasers like faster reloading muzzle loader . we dont see if he hits with the taser but i think that is just about the time the suspect turned and fired the officers taser

and just as an aside if you cant reload the taser they do work on contact though ie if you can touch them directly with the front of it

i think its an x26 model that has "drive stun" as an option
en.wikipedia.org...

Drive Stun Some TASER device models, particularly those used by police departments, also have a "Drive Stun" capability, where the TASER device is held against the target without firing the projectiles, and is intended to cause pain without incapacitating the target. "Drive Stun" is "the process of using the EMD (Electro Muscular Disruption) weapon as a pain compliance technique. This is done by activating the TASER [device] and placing it against an individual's body. This can be done without an air cartridge in place or after an air cartridge has been deployed."[35] Guidelines released in 2011 in the U.S. recommend that use of Drive Stun as a pain compliance technique be avoided.[36] The guidelines were issued by a joint committee of the Police Executive Research Forum and the U.S. Department of Justice Office of Community Oriented Policing Services.

The guidelines state "Using the CEW to achieve pain compliance may have limited effectiveness and, when used repeatedly, may even exacerbate the situation by inducing rage in the subject". A study of U.S. police and sheriff departments found that 29.6% of the jurisdictions allowed the use of Drive Stun for gaining compliance in a passive resistance arrest scenario, with no physical contact between the officer and the subject. For a scenario that also includes non-violent physical contact, this number is 65.2%.[37] A Las Vegas police document says "The Drive Stun causes significant localized pain in the area touched by the TASER [CEW], but does not have a significant effect on the central nervous system.

The Drive Stun does not incapacitate a subject but may assist in taking a subject into custody."[38] The UCLA TASER device incident[39] and the University of Florida TASER device incident[40] involved university police officers using their TASER device's "Drive Stun" capability (referred to as a "contact tase" in the University of Florida Offense Report). Amnesty International has expressed particular concern about Drive Stun, noting that "the potential to use TASERs in drive-stun mode—where they are used as 'pain compliance' tools when individuals are already effectively in custody—and the capacity to inflict multiple and prolonged shocks, renders the weapons inherently open to abuse".[41]

edit on 14-6-2020 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman
a reply to: Gothmog

Well seeing as how the officer was immediately fired, the Atalanta PD apparently disagreed with his discretion.

They we're just covering their rear. All it means is they would rather not have riots in their town. I guess the truth is, blatant pandering works.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

depends on the person. Many people drive better with a .108 than many others do sober. Shouldn't be an automatic crime.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
a reply to: panoz77

depends on the person. Many people drive better with a .108 than many others do sober. Shouldn't be an automatic crime.

You're this thread's "that guy." Congratulations.

ETA: just to be clear, I didnt mean you're this thread's accomplished drunk driver. I did mean youre this thread's "facepalm of the day" poster.... again, congrats. When the bull take his next crap, we will get your trophy bronzed and shipped off to you. SMH
edit on 14-6-2020 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman
a reply to: Gothmog

Well seeing as how the officer was immediately fired, the Atalanta PD apparently disagreed with his discretion.

Under pressure from the NAACP
A great Chief of Police resigned as well
For the exact same reason.

edit on 6/15/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

If I resisted arrest, grabbed an officer's weapon while being arrested, then attempted to use that weapon against the officer, my expectation is that I would be shot and killed. No matter what my color or gender is. Period.

But I suppose this person will be another "hero" with his face on posters at protests. There he was, just minding his own business passed out drunk in line at a drive-thru when the cops had to disturb him because he was black.

Sorry, no matter what color your skin is, if you pass out drunk in line at a drive-thru, you're going to get arrested. And no matter what color your skin is, if you resist arrest and grab an officer's weapon, it's likely you're getting shot and killed.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Doesn't matter because the cop is being charged with murder.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
Doesn't matter because the cop is being charged with murder.

well yea, he murdered the guy.
I wonder what happened in an alternate universe.

how little does it take to kill a person is remarkable. would I get away with killing a drunkard parked in front of my house sleeping off a buzz while he's running away?

it took almost 2 hours to kill that guy... as opposed to have him call someone to pick him and impound the vehicle within minutes of failing the sobriety test or place him under arrest for blowing 0.04 above the limit...

I see someone got crucified for talking like he drives after a drink.

how many on here have never driven after having drinking an alcoholic beverage?

Murkkka
edit on 15-6-2020 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-6-2020 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:46 AM
link   
If an officer is successfully tazed he is then rendered helpless in self defense of the criminal. Could be anything from assault to using the officers own weapon to kill him. You CANNOT try to taze the police. This is utterly ridiculous. Police have right to protect their lives.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

Anyone drunk enough to have passed out cannot be allowed to drive themselves home, and you can't just let them walk either because if they're passing out, who knows what could happen to them on their way home.

So I'm not sure what choice the officers really had there.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Any truth to the story that Brooks was paroled early from prison due to the coronavirus?
I saw something posted on social media that he was left out early from a 7 year sentence.

posted on Jun, 15 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Body-camera footage has been released, as has a recording from a Wendy’s security camera. Both clearly show that Brooks acted as the aggressor. Some argue that Rolfe’s use of deadly force was not justified given the fact that Brooks brandished and shot a taser, which many view as nonlethal, and that Rolfe went beyond use of deadly force protocols. However, the Atlanta Police Department manual states that an officer may use deadly force when “he or she reasonably believes that the suspect possesses a deadly weapon or any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury and when he or she reasonably believes that the suspect poses an immediate threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or others.

Sounds like the officer followed the manual.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join