It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Covid Over-Reaction has to Stop!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I cannot believe in this entire global health pandemic I haven’t yet really written anything on it…well I figured I would lunge into this social/politcal/economic hot potato with my own take on the current situation.

Now to start with let me be make a few things clear, firstly, no, I do not believe any of the plethora of conspiracies about how this is some man-made virus that uses 5G to kill us all in a grand Chinese plot to destroy the west, yet I also belief that the media are largely to blame for causing so much panic over this. I would also like to point out that this is coming from the perspective of someone who has been directly involved in looking after the sickest of COVID-19 patients and my views on this are very much based on a UK perspective, but I suspect are generally applicable.

Right now, in sunny Scotland we’re pretty much still on full lockdown, most “non-essential” shops and businesses are shut, lots of people are working from home or furloughed and I can’t even get a haircut or a pint.

The UK economy has already shrunk by 20%, now to me that’s just an abstract number until you consider that during the 2007/08 crash the economy shrunk by about 5%. Unemployment, even with the generous furlough scheme is also set to skyrocket, we recorded the biggest jump in unemployment records since records began in 1971. The outlook seems to be that this is only going to get worse even after we come out of lockdown. It’s fair to say that the UK like the rest of us is economically screwed.

So, the question has to be asked if it was actually worth it.

It’s a difficult question, how do we as a society put a value on human life, how do we balance preserving life and persevering economic stability.

Personally, I believe this has went too far.

We have right now about 41,000 deaths, each one is tragic but in a population of about 67 Million it’s not too bad. 41,000 wouldn’t even fill half of Wembley stadium but when you drill further into those numbers that is when I really start to question the lockdown. Out of those 41,000 only about 250 where under the age of 60 with no significant underlying medical conditions. Across the UK only 0.01% of deaths where in children under the age of 15.

I think it’s fair to ask then why have we shut all the schools when it’s clear that kids are the least impacted, just like it’s fair to ask why we have shut down the entire workforce when it’s very apparent that this horrible virus disproportionately impacts those who are older or already sick.

Now yes I do accept the argument that hindsight is 20:20 but now that its becoming evident that this virus poses a tiny threat to the lives of most of the population why are we not opening up to lessen the economic impact and to focus on how we can save those most at risk.

I agree with banning visitors to hospitals and nursing homes, I actually think the shielding recommendation should be expanded and I think we should push for a vaccine just like we should really focus on simple methods to reduce the spread of the virus. However, that must be balanced with the economic and frankly social damage that we are self-imposing.

We have over-reacted to Covid-19, I guess one could argue that it’s probably better we over-reacted than ignored it completely, but I think now that we have a better grasp of what this is its time to stop the over-reaction.

Open the schools, let me get a haircut and let me get a pint, I am not asking to be let back into Old Trafford for the next game, I understand that some shielding is required and that I can’t go and see gran in her nursing home but for the love of god I need a pint with the lads!!

PS: I had references but honestly couldn’t be arsed formatting this, do your own research.

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Been saying this since March.

Back then I was an unempathetic jerk who was wrong. Now I'm back to being just a regular jerk.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Yeah,,,
The dangers of this virus has been extremely blown out of proportion.
The damage done by the shutdown far exceeds the damage done by the virus.

Unfortunately I think this will also bite us in the butt when we do eventually get a nasty virus and people will not take it seriously enough.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Welcome to the party, there's a few of us here shaking our heads wondering how the # things were able to get like this. It's pretty chill here in the who gives a # about covid party.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Learn and tell the truth.....then no one will panic and this Pandemic is over.

Someone hotwired a Pleomorphic Bacteria Billions of people carry insitu….same little bug that causes what we mistakenly call cancer.

Its easy to kill and easy to keep out of our food chain if we learn about it.Quite deadly to us if we d not know about it and extremely difficult for doctors to treat if they aren't aware of it...which they are enmass not.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Yeah,,,
The dangers of this virus has been extremely blown out of proportion.
The damage done by the shutdown far exceeds the damage done by the virus.

Unfortunately I think this will also bite us in the butt when we do eventually get a nasty virus and people will not take it seriously enough.

I hope that the economic damage that this is going to cause is going to spur on big business and governments to massively invest in virus surveillance, virus prevention and vaccine research. I hope when they see how much money something as benign as this has caused its going to spur on a scientific surge of investment to prevent something like this happening again.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Really?

Oh my gosh!

Really?

You think it's an over-reaction?

REALLY?

OVER 83 TRILLION PEOPLE DIED IN JUST 4 MINUTES!

AND YOU THINK PEOPLE ARE OVER REACTING???

WHY DO YOU HATE LIFE???

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   
yes, the reaction to the risk was very much of the 'sledgehammer and walnut' type.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I really like being able to agree with you for once. This whole Covid thing has been overblown and the response to Covid has damaged far more people than the virus itself.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I still have what I thought were smart people, talking to me about the “spike In recent infections” and “hospitals are filling up”.

Good freaking god people — stop watching the MSM!

In case you’re wondering - Yes, I’m an old people hating callous POS!

link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I really like being able to agree with you for once. This whole Covid thing has been overblown and the response to Covid has damaged far more people than the virus itself.

Agreed

link   
Anyone with half a brain knew it was completely overblown immediately.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Beijing just had another outbreak and is gonna lockdown and my state has the highest rate in the US so we might do a second stay at home. I don't see this ending anytime soon. The economy is gonna tank if this keeps going.

only 6 more months of 2020 left

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

US Perspective on the overreaction:

We have to listen to selected “experts”, experts that push their convenient truth, pushing the narrative of fear to keep the population at the feet of governments.
edit on 14-6-2020 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

That’s 6 months too long, I think we could have a lot more crazy before this year is over

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Dbl Post:
Edit turned into a post
edit on 14-6-2020 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I bugged out to Miles City, Montana to weather this Wuhan Phlu thing. Now, just recently, Custer County got it's first Wuhan case. So, now I'll return to New Mexico and begin treating the people there for Wuhan Phlu. Talking with my peers, it seems that a great many of the patients, are Native Americans. And they say that the death rate is high. I'll find and report back after I settle down in the war zone.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The system is in damage control mode.
Good luck
Psycho Zionist media commence operation chaos to cover operation infiltration island.
Hide it with operation racism so you can
make it taboo to question it.
Make it illegal to boycott.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Consider:

Remove the "C" from COVID and you are left with OVID which means "a sheep". I cannot take credit for that; it was pointed out by an astute listener of a morning local radio program in my area.
edit on 14-6-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   

irstly, no, I do not believe any of the plethora of conspiracies about how this is some man-made virus that uses 5G to kill us all in a grand Chinese plot to destroy the west, yet I also belief that the media are largely to blame for causing so much panic over this

The conspiracy is that if you're dying of say cancer and Covid is present then they put Covid as the cause of death.

Surely you must have see the many threads on ATS that point to this?

And Yet Further Proof of the Greatest Lie Ever Perpetrated on Mankind
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join