It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truck Drivers Say They Won’t Deliver To Cities with Defunded Police Departments

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Interesting politics some folks have. Criticize the police and suddenly big government departments are the only thing keeping us from becoming a warzone because citizens can't be expected to take care of themselves or solve a problem themselves.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

The leaders of the cities have, at least in part, caused the problem. How are they going to fix it if they cannot even admit that fact?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Depends on who is closer. On my street considering I spent a couple hours today target shooting with two different neighbors then I'd say a citizen will probably show up first.

OK, you are still trying to dodge the question. It sounds like you are saying someone could drive down your street and shoot everyone in sight, and nothing would happen to them.

I call Bull Persimmons on that.

But you did answer it in another post. You still have the County Sheriff and the State Police. That means you still have police! As a matter of fact, you have just as many police as I do! I don't live in any city jurisdiction.

Actually, you may have more. I haven't seen a Trooper out here in... 30 years? I think... and if memory serves, he just drove through and kept going.

But the point is that you do have law enforcement. One cannot just do whatever they want when they want to who they want. Law enforcement will be called and will respond. The fact that you are in a fairly rural area makes that acceptable, since there's probably not enough crime there to justify a separate police department. In larger cities like we're discussing? There's plenty of crime happening! They need specialized law enforcement.

They are also removing every city law on the books. Sheriffs enforce county law; State police enforce state law. Neither is going to enforce city ordinances. Not that that would necessarily be a bad thing, but it would be a thing.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Yes. I realize everyone's rights. You do realize the entire problem we have with police in this country is that they seem to have extra rights? If they had been respecting everyone else's rights all this time we wouldn't be where we are.

Who would I call?
You gotta get a new question.

I'd call the people I think would be most likely to deliver help the quickest.

In my case I'd call my neighbor. But that's cool if you think waiting 10 minutes for cops to show up and help you then you can call them.

What do you care who call anyway?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

The entire system has created a police force who is permitted extra rights to violate ours and everyone is busy blaming everyone else for how it got this way.

Focusing on city hall is a good place to focus. We can have more than one warped piece in this jigsaw and should attack it from all sides.
edit on 14-6-2020 by Identified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Okay so what's your problem with cities defunding? They still have police. So no warzone then.

Law enforcement is NOT what keeps me or anyone else from just doing whatever we want.

And we never need police to enforce city ordinances. Ever!

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Add to my other post because you dodged my other one.

What are police doing in your scenario about the shoot up?
What makes you think you require police to stop that or to bring them to justice?

I can swear out a warrant, call witnesses and criminally charge all without police.
All police do is come and take notes and then hand over to the judge and prosecutor. They dont even get to go arrest someone without an arrest warrant unless they saw the crime take place. Show up after the shooting and they do the same system anyone else can.

So again what do you think police are doing for you in your scenario?
edit on 14-6-2020 by Identified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified
a reply to: face23785

Yes, I'm aware of the pearl clutching going on over the thoughts of nobody with a badge rolling down the street every 5 minutes.

As for my town we have no County contract. What that means is sure when an actual crime takes place the State or County will eventually show up but they aren't going to bother with speeding tickets and general revenue gathering which was what our town PD primarily did before. And crime hasn't gone up and if anything the standard of living around here has increased.

As for the other cities that chose this path they will certainly shift it from local PD to other services such as city council, forensics labs, community policing, education and mental health and yes, in some instances we will still require actual someone to go arrest someone else. But there is no reason for most towns to have the numbers of police they have.

If defunding causes them to wake up and fix this then I'm all for it. It worked for my town.

This is a very long-winded way of admitting you have police. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   

And that's a very backhanded way of admitting so does Minneapolis. So why all the panic?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Interesting politics some folks have. Criticize the police and suddenly big government departments are the only thing keeping us from becoming a warzone because citizens can't be expected to take care of themselves or solve a problem themselves.

Protecting the citizenry is one of the few things government is actually supposed to do. People who criticize "big government" are generally pissed about the government getting involved in matters it has no Constitutional authority to be involved in.

How do you not know this?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   

And that's a very backhanded way of admitting so does Minneapolis. So why all the panic?

And if you wanted the county sheriff's office to be able to effectively police a city the size of Minneapolis you'd have to drastically expand it. So all you did was take the police force and rename it. I'm sure you realize that.

So why all the dishonesty?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   

How are you confused by stance when I have been so long winded?

Show me where in the Constitution where it says another human being should be permitted to violate the rights of another human?

You are naive if you think police are even legally required to protect you or anyone else.

I'm amazed how our founding fathers managed to write the document and leave out something so crucial to keeping you safe and warm.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   

"Show me where in the Constitution where it says another human being should be permitted to violate the rights of another human?"

In Seattle, I guess?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   

How are you confused by stance when I have been so long winded?

Show me where in the Constitution where it says another human being should be permitted to violate the rights of another human?

You are naive if you think police are even legally required to protect you or anyone else.

I'm amazed how our founding fathers managed to write the document and leave out something so crucial to keeping you safe and warm.

I'm well aware the police aren't legally bound to provide protection. Nice try at changing the subject since you backed yourself into a corner though. A for effort.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Just because you said it doesn't make it so.

I never said we had to expand the county police and just because you think it doesn't make it so.

We will quickly see how much policing is needed for these areas.

No need to speculate to make you feel better.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: BoscoMoney

Sorry, your post makes no sense.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Haha what? Again just because you said it doesn't make it so.

Where did I back myself into a corner?

You said the govt was there to protect you and I simply pointed out the thing you depend on to protect you isn't even used by the govt to protect you and the govt themselves have said they aren't.

It's up to you whether this comforts you with big govt departments spending billions of your tax money to not deliver what you think they are supposed to deliver.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Just because you said it doesn't make it so.

I never said we had to expand the county police and just because you think it doesn't make it so.

We will quickly see how much policing is needed for these areas.

No need to speculate to make you feel better.

If you wanna play childish games, I never said you said that.

You do indeed have police though, so trying to make it sound like "My town has no police and we have no problem with it" was a false equivalence. That is in no way, shape or form similar to what these groups are calling for. No amount of mental gymnastics on your part is gonna change that.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:46 PM
link   

a reply to: network dude

Yes. I realize everyone's rights. You do realize the entire problem we have with police in this country is that they seem to have extra rights? If they had been respecting everyone else's rights all this time we wouldn't be where we are.

Who would I call?
You gotta get a new question.

I'd call the people I think would be most likely to deliver help the quickest.

In my case I'd call my neighbor. But that's cool if you think waiting 10 minutes for cops to show up and help you then you can call them.

What do you care who call anyway?

I will not argue that "in some cases" cops are more rough with Black perps then white ones. If you tussle with the popo instead of complying, rough is usually the order of the day. And I'm almost sure that color of skin isn't the determining factor there. So yes, there needs to be some mechanism in place to discourage racism in such an important role.

Now, if we could only tackle the racism of the other races. But I suppose we need to fix one first before we open the whole bag.

I understand the need for the neighbors to have your back. We all do around here. But in the event of trouble, for many reasons, I'd call 911 first and foremost. CYA. If you are sure you can defend yourself in court or have a super bad ass lawyer, then go nuts and take your chances that anyone will believe your story if you call after the fact.
" Hello, Police? we killed this group of thugs the other day when they broke in and they are staring to stink. Could you come grab the bodies please?"

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   

No you made an assumption. I was discussing how towns all over America don't have a PD and haven't devolved into a warzone where I can't buy Nike shoes. They also haven't all received more outside policing either to make up for the loss of their PD.

You are also assuming what these groups are calling for as if the one thing you read is what every town is proposing or what every town will even vote for. Different towns seem to be going about this all in their own way regardless of what some Twitter account is asking for.

Talk about false equivalency...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join