It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX , etc. are directly to blame for police behavior

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The media conditions us and is a brainwashing tool. We see this in commercials, product makers would not pay millions for them if they did not work. There has been decades worth of excellent research proving that the media affects the decisions people make, and the way they think.

Look at the weekly lineup on broadcast TV, it is 50% or more police or police type programming. On those shows the police regularly become "justifiably" overzealous with suspects. They also tend to kill someone nearly every episode in many of the crime dramas. If they don't kill someone then they shoot someone nearly every episode.

This has conditioned the youth who grew up to be police officers. This has conditioned the public to see police overreaction as necessary.

I have complained for years that at the end of nearly every episode where someone is killed the police stand nearby the bodies and make jokes, or they go back to a bar and drink and make jokes.

The worst is the actors and actresses in many of these crime dramas are supposedly "anti-gun" as are the producers, etc. Yet they produce shows that teach people that it is the duty of the police to hunt down and either kill or beat criminals on a nearly daily basis.

Hollywood needs to stop its virtue signaling and make changes.
They are perhaps the most guilty party in all of this.

If you are a social media person, every time someone on a police show or law enforcement show virtue signals during this horrible crises you need to call them on their part in creating the problem.

I call out ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX networks and Movie makers for teaching the people who are now our police that excessive force and killing criminals is justifiable and warranted because of the shows they produced, knowing that media absolutely, positively affects the way people think and their behavior.

edit on 6/14/20 by The2Billies because: grammar

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl
I tad generalizing but 0:28 was satisfying when I noticed where you got your avatar from.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I agree - they make them into perfect humans. These shows sometimes made me physically sick.

But you know the other thing they glorify - "social programs". These social workers may not carry guns but they can have more power than the police all without the safeguards. (This might be my next thread).
edit on June 14th 2020 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I....really don't agree. Either you know the difference between bad and good or not. You choose your actions as an adult and are solely responsible for them. As mush as I hate MSM these days, this seems a bit of cop out.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoscoMoney
I....really don't agree. Either you know the difference between bad and good or not. You choose your actions as an adult and are solely responsible for them. As mush as I hate MSM these days, this seems a bit of cop out.

A full fledged "blame it on something"

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BoscoMoney

know the difference between right and wrong is not inherent, its learned by ones environment and authority figures, often times people spend more time learning from movies, media, music and social media than they do their own parents or teachers.

the media has been irresponsible for far too long, millions killed over the last 200 years due to their instigation's in the name of their corporate interests, wars, genocide's and domestic violence sparked over their supposedly harmless words in many Western nations. free speech is great but being irresponsible with it hurts everyone in the long run.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 08:32 AM
link   

A fundamental concept for everyone is personal responsibility. We are responsible for what we do.

For law enforcement officers, they take on an even greater responsibility both personal and professional.

I agree with you that the media/entertainment complex has an enormous effect on our opinions both in groups and as individuals ... but given that the task of law enforcement implies heightened training to justify the public's trust, it seems that would absolutely counteract any latent conditioning from TV etc.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: namehere

Fine, then do the same for video games as well. We've been down this road before.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies
The media conditions us and is a brainwashing tool.

You know who is brainwashed by television? Weak minded simpletons.

Probably road the short bus to school and licked the windows.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   
blame others for other people's actions...

sounds very familiar.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies
The media conditions us and is a brainwashing tool. We see this in commercials, product makers would not pay millions for them if they did not work. There has been decades worth of excellent research proving that the media affects the decisions people make, and the way they think.

Look at the weekly lineup on broadcast TV, it is 50% or more police or police type programming. On those shows the police regularly become "justifiably" overzealous with suspects. They also tend to kill someone nearly every episode in many of the crime dramas. If they don't kill someone then they shoot someone nearly every episode.

This has conditioned the youth who grew up to be police officers. This has conditioned the public to see police overreaction as necessary.

I have complained for years that at the end of nearly every episode where someone is killed the police stand nearby the bodies and make jokes, or they go back to a bar and drink and make jokes.

The worst is the actors and actresses in many of these crime dramas are supposedly "anti-gun" as are the producers, etc. Yet they produce shows that teach people that it is the duty of the police to hunt down and either kill or beat criminals on a nearly daily basis.

Hollywood needs to stop its virtue signaling and make changes.
They are perhaps the most guilty party in all of this.

If you are a social media person, every time someone on a police show or law enforcement show virtue signals during this horrible crises you need to call them on their part in creating the problem.

I call out ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX networks and Movie makers for teaching the people who are now our police that excessive force and killing criminals is justifiable and warranted because of the shows they produced, knowing that media absolutely, positively affects the way people think and their behavior.

MSM needs to be included in a Class Action PTSD LAwsuit….all of them.

Reproducing a crime and broadcasting that crime is a crime.

The damages done to GENERATIONS are massive and permanent and no one has ever been acknowledged nor compensated.

Time to sue and then back up the Money Truck.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
MSM needs to be included in a Class Action PTSD LAwsuit….all of them.

Reproducing a crime and broadcasting that crime is a crime.

The damages done to GENERATIONS are massive and permanent and no one has ever been acknowledged nor compensated.

Time to sue and then back up the Money Truck.

So you're the way you are over television?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

... and then, there's the little matter of the First Amendment.

A class action suit against all media by all American citizens?

I'm going to take that as an ad absurdum argument and move on.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Shouldn’t another source of media be called out in your op?

Hip hop music for example..
The glorification of violence and every other form of criminal behavior.

I gotta disagree with you on this one.
Medical shows have always been popular too and I don’t think doctors act like they do on house or greys anatomy.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

He'd have to sue CTV since, you know, he's not a proud American like us.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I don’t think that fictional shows really have a deep impact on going against department procedures.

Framed narrative reporting otherwise known as jingoism or yellow journalism does influence the mentally defunct into bad behavior. Glorifying the initial bad behavior further encourages worse behavior.

Keep the cops, protest the rioters and looters.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

He'd have to sue CTV since, you know, he's not a proud American like us.

Oh.

Isn't the British media technically under government control? He'd have to sue Her Majesty the Queen?

Goodness me.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Isn't the British media technically under government control? He'd have to sue Her Majesty the Queen?

Goodness me.

Not sure. Do they force them to watch British TV in America's Hat?

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Goodness me.

Not sure. Do they force them to watch British TV in America's Hat?

LOL ...

As usual with the Brits ... the answer is "complicated" ...

According to the New York Times, "Britain has a long tradition of a free, inquisitive press", but "unlike the United States, Britain has no constitutional guarantee of press freedom." Freedom of the press was established in Great Britain in 1695, with Alan Rusbridger, former editor of The Guardian, stating: "When people talk about licensing journalists or newspapers the instinct should be to refer them to history. Read about how licensing of the press in Britain was abolished in 1695. Remember how the freedoms won here became a model for much of the rest of the world, and be conscious how the world still watches us to see how we protect those freedoms."

Wiki

The article literally drones on for another five paragraphs after that.

edit on 14-6-2020 by Gryphon66 because: format

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join