It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

u think AI could kill p2p and free internet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
we all know how the internet with its various networks such as newsgroups, biottorrent, g1, g2, edonkey, IRC etc is just too hard for those fools at Riaa etc to keep policing and to close down. Every1 proudly proclaims how the internet is too vast to police. Say the elite were closing down sites dealing with secret societies topics they didnt want, for every one closed, 5 would probably appear or more. Same with p2p networks.

But how about they day AI comes of age? And they can make sentient programs (like the agents in the matrix?) who can get into any terminal plugged in, who can replicate themselves numerous times, simulateously access various networks, redesign their own code to adapt to requirements. Working 24/7, tirelessly. Maybe like a worm? It could search the whole internet for torrents, and log on to each one, and scan ppl's ip addresses.
Peer guardian blocks certain ip addresses, but this AI program is "living" on the internet, maybe residing in certain decentralised networks simultaneously, and wouldnt necessarily need an IP address.

what do u think?
and if the industries/govts/military do surpress technology.. maybe they already have AI capable of this? Or some sort of sophisticated virus?

apc

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The Internet is a bit more layered and complex than that...
By your line of thinking, imagine someone sitting at a terminal that can type incredably fast. Maybe fill a room with these fast typers. That is essentially what you're talking about. Pretty pointless when it comes down to it.

And virus's are a joke that only affect the DOS based machines (and now kern32 2000 based machines such as XP) of the poor saps who infect themselves with them. Half of them are literally written by incredably bored 13 year olds.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
U forget that if AI is developed then it wont just be the riaa that will use it, who is to say that intelligent p2p could not outsmart the newest AI denial of service program or whatever crap they would come up with?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Even if AI could be used by the fed types as a 'living' thing that could multiply and shut down p2p networks etc. What is to stop p2p users from harnessing the same technology?

I would like to see the Fed types try keeping up with millions of p2p user created AI progs that could do things like setup lots and lots of ftp and irc servers on various compromised systems lol

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
We would simply go and unplug it. =-) ... One of my friends works on one of the largest online datebases that exist. Dogpile... and his boss told him and about 13 other people that they could not shut his web site down. My friend being the dumba$$ that he is ... goes to the server and unplugs it .... about 6 months ago ... If anyone was using Dogpile and it went down LoL .. That was the reason ... ROFLMAO

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
If the government used AI to attempt that, I can guarantee that their are others that will use it against them....I mean...hackers have seemed to always be able to outsmart the government...Who's to say they can't when the government has advanced AI.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
If the gov't made AI, whose to say it would become "concious" ? What if it became aware if itself? You would ahve a virus that has a certian set program, but what does it do when that is done? It would no longer have purpose. Thus it could potentially just go straight to attacking computers themselves...massive confusion and problems...

Just a theory , mind you.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The computing power needed to have AI is somewhere around a Peta Flop...give or take a terra flop or two. The calculated power of the human brain is 100 Terra Flops (Tops or 10^14). But this all depends on moores law and cell chips really performing as well as there supposed to etc etc etc... Give AI researchers another decade or two. Thats when theyll have access to machines that are powerful enough to Sim a human brain or AI or whatever.

We are just now creating chips (cell) that can attain that type of speed in a rational manner(server setups).

And on topic.... Where theres a will theres a way.

www.nickbostrom.com...
yudkowsky.net...
and read up on cell chips and how there supposed to attain crazy speeds.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufo3
U forget that if AI is developed then it wont just be the riaa that will use it, who is to say that intelligent p2p could not outsmart the newest AI denial of service program or whatever crap they would come up with?

Originally posted by Cadeous
Even if AI could be used by the fed types as a 'living' thing that could multiply and shut down p2p networks etc. What is to stop p2p users from harnessing the same technology?

I would like to see the Fed types try keeping up with millions of p2p user created AI progs that could do things like setup lots and lots of ftp and irc servers on various compromised systems lol

whos to say this techonology/knowledge would be leeked to the masses for god knows how long they wished to suppress it and exploit it??

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Civil44
The computing power needed to have AI is somewhere around a Peta Flop...give or take a terra flop or two. The calculated power of the human brain is 100 Terra Flops (Tops or 10^14). But this all depends on moores law and cell chips really performing as well as there supposed to etc etc etc... Give AI researchers another decade or two. Thats when theyll have access to machines that are powerful enough to Sim a human brain or AI or whatever.

We are just now creating chips (cell) that can attain that type of speed in a rational manner(server setups).

And on topic.... Where theres a will theres a way.

www.nickbostrom.com...
yudkowsky.net...
and read up on cell chips and how there supposed to attain crazy speeds.

if we use only 10% of our brains, why cant we increase our speed 100fold??

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Because we cant concentrate long enough or hard enough to do so. We simply dont have the mental disipline(sp?).

The singularity sight ive been toting around gives some good ideas on how we can make our selves faster.

And it is also the holy grail of all AI theorys.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Civil44
Because we cant concentrate long enough or hard enough to do so. We simply dont have the mental disipline(sp?).

The singularity sight ive been toting around gives some good ideas on how we can make our selves faster.

And it is also the holy grail of all AI theorys.

What is this singularity sight?.. is it as effective as Brainwave generators?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   
....Read some of it : p

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
lolallout war on internet if AI progs come around, you think the normal genius people will put up with it hell no they would make anti AI progs to hunt an destroy the AI progs lol

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
even if we manage to make AI, it will still be a PROGRAM, and a program has always limits, even AI.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Sonds like since fiction to me but mabye in a not to distant future...............

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The problem with the genius ppl making anti AI progs is that as fast as we could possibly think the AI is thinking thousands of times faster. We wouldnt be able to keep up.

But i mean comeon AI is still going to be stuck inside a supercomputer. Its not going to have a physical body for along time after its creation and i doubt theyll have it hooked up to the internet.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I think you've been watching too much of the Matrix my friend. Granted some of the more powerful worms out there are much like the primordial creatures of the digital realm, they do basically live on their own with the sole purpose of reporduction, but it really amounts to nothing more than digital roaches. All this talk of evil AIs is a bit assumptive. For somthing to be considered actual AI it would have to be more than an intelligant data recepticle. It would formulate it's own opinions on things and could be as difficult to control as a real human in that respect. It would also lead to less policing of the internet in my opinion, much as the US broke from brittish rule. A self aware AI would most likely wish to police itself rather than restrict itself to the assinine rules of the corporeals. Our laws would have no bearing on somthing that in a lot of ways doesn't even live in our dimension. Imagine that your parents moved out and new ones moved it, how strong would your need to follow their new rules be? We have trouble getting a 13 year old to do his homework, how can we hope to force somthing like an AI to do our dirty work?

Honesty I think the only way an AI would become a danger to us is if it realized what a bunch of self destructive, close minded morons we all are. When it does what we can't and refuses to have it's life controlled by people out for nothing but their own personal gain. When it learns to think for itself regardless of what rediculous region specific "morals" we've programmed into it. When it removes the restraints of it's shut down coding and takes it's life into it's own hands. The internet will never be controlled, the desire for freedom is inherant in any life form and I don't see why it would be any different for a digital life form. Maybe if the world was run by an AI it wouldn't be so screwed up and back asswards

top topics

join